Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (Anita Potter, agraffe, alfredo capurso, Aloyah, Albunea, 17curleyj, 29 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
#2052130 - 03/21/13 08:08 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Online content
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Originally Posted by patH


But a piano will not feel that. Although I'm not happy at the thought of a well-crafted piano just standing in a room without being played, I accept that a piano is not a person.


Yes, let's not forget that. A piano (acoustic or otherwise) is just as happy gathering dust as getting pounded daily by a ham-fisted would-be virtuoso. Or being used as an over-sized tray, or as an objet d'art, to impress the snooty arty types.

Ideally, of course, a piano should have at least two purposes, just as all humans (not just of the fairer sex) should be able to multi-task. Life is too short to be single-tasking in today's frenetic age. So, my piano is used as a tray, to hold some of my voluminous volumes of music scores, stacked up high on either side of the music stand; it is getting pounded daily by a would-be ham-fisted virtuoso (me); and last but not least, it is also gathering dust (as I haven't dusted it since it arrived in my humble abode).


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2052143 - 03/21/13 08:56 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,029
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,029
Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
[...]Is that better than two people in love getting married?

[...] a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...


Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

I am European.

OH! and why do you assume that the marriages based on "love" are the only ones to fall apart?


Not to mention that those same cultures that arrange marriages generally won't allow marriages to fall apart. Marriage statistics in such a culture are practically irrelevant. These people are culturally forced to accept their lot in life.

I don't care if some cultures claim that arranged marriages have their virtues or higher success rates - I think it's a basic human right and responsibility to choose one's own spouse. People should be able to take responsibility to determine their own destiny (regardless of whether half of them end in divorce). Whether or not a marriage hangs together is not the only thing at stake in marriage. There is freedom, risk and discovery in choosing your own spouse - and so there should be. We shouldn't view marriage as something that is locked in and guaranteed just because you manage to get somebody to sign on a dotted line. The relationship must promote growth and happiness, and if it can't be made to deliver that, it should fall apart.

Some relationships aren't meant to last forever - doesn't mean they don't function in highly significant ways to a person's life. We are on this earth to develop every bit as much as we are to live in a stable domestic home life. Most people who divorce or remarry are just as happy with how their life has gone as those who rigidly stuck to the one person their whole life and resented many things about that life.

No amount of "cultural" talk has ever convinced me otherwise on arranged marriages. It's a regressive step for humanity. Something from the dark ages. Controlling behaviour, impeding freedom, promoting class-based societies. Not for me. I'd take 50% failure rate of marriages in a free society over 100% success rate marriages in an arranged marriage society. The former allows personal growth, the second holds people by rules.

Anyway, anyone like pianos? grin

#2052193 - 03/21/13 11:41 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Damon - what kind of a question is that? You think it's fair for some broad to marry a rich guy while not giving a damn about him, possibly having affairs left and right - is that fair to the guy, really? Is that better than two people in love getting married?


As long as they are two consenting adults, I don't see that it's any worse. Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I am a cynic too at times, but come on... Love is the most powerful thing in the world and a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...


I see a lot of evidence that people want to marry for financial benefit. You can live with someone and "love" them without getting married. Just ask Goldie Hawn or Susan Sarandon.

#2052200 - 03/21/13 11:56 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2052201 - 03/22/13 12:05 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
not somewhere over the rainbow
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?


Yes... It's attraction. We all have it all the time. But the other kind of love.. Lasts for a long long time.



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
#2052203 - 03/22/13 12:13 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,355
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,355
Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?


Yes... It's attraction. We all have it all the time. But the other kind of love.. Lasts for a long long time.

That can happen. I am hoping so.


Jason
#2052205 - 03/22/13 12:15 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?


Sure, but I wouldn't marry for the other kinds.

#2052225 - 03/22/13 01:14 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
Banned
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?


Sure, but I wouldn't marry for the other kinds.


You would feel right at home in my city. Prostitution is legal by the act, by the minute, by the hour, by the day, you name it.

No marriage contract required to get a materially less well off partner to prostitute herself or himself in a longterm transactional relationship in exchange for money ...


#2052226 - 03/22/13 01:14 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
Banned
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by wr
I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.


Interesting thought.

So when a person buys a bushel of rice to dump it into a ditch, this is the same as someone buying a bushel of rice and distributing it to the poor and hungry. All purchase motives are equal.
I was speaking about pianos and not rice. When I said that anyone's reason for buying a piano being just as good as anyone else's, I was thinking of at least reasonable motives.

But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..



Who is the arbiter of what is reasonable? Pianoloverus, I presume?

Your strong objection to others being allowed to express their value judgments regarding the Steinway-as-furniture motives of piano purchasers is itself a value judgment which you wish to impose on others here...

Quite unreasonable, if you ask me.



#2052288 - 03/22/13 06:10 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Carey]  
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,867
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,867
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by outo

And why would anyone want a grand as furniture? No matter how much I want one they are actually pretty ugly things...



Status and identity, I think.

I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.



But, on the other hand, they were always prepared for a party !!

You mean by having it always at the ready to serve as a sideboard to set drinks on?

The piano was never played at parties (which occurred once per year, exactly). I don't know why - either she didn't invite anyone who played, or, if she did, they still didn't play it for some reason.

But then, AFAIK, she never had it tuned, either - who knows what it would have sounded like. It was a Steinway, if I remember my landlord's description of it correctly.


#2052290 - 03/22/13 06:31 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,867
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,867
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by patH
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
And would it be fair to anybody?

And I thought -I- had no morals haha
A better question IMO: Would it be unfair to anybody?


Yes....... To the person with the cash.

Damon - what kind of a question is that? You think it's fair for some broad to marry a rich guy while not giving a damn about him, possibly having affairs left and right - is that fair to the guy, really? Is that better than two people in love getting married?

I am a cynic too at times, but come on... Love is the most powerful thing in the world and a marriage is kind of cheapened if the main reason for getting hitched is money or whatever else...


Where I live, there is a neighborhood magazine specifically catering to the wealthiest area of the city, and in it, the society column announcing engagements and marriages is called "Mergers and Acquisitions". Need I say more?


#2052304 - 03/22/13 07:03 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Online content
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Here in the UK, well-heeled young women go to débutant parties organized by their parents where the rich and the good of both sexes get together to socialise, swap phone numbers.....and eventually marry. That way, they get the partners of the same standing in society (whatever that is), and none of the wrong class......

Going back to arranged marriages, there are a lot more problems than just incompatible partners and love (or lack of it). There is a very significant genetic problem because these arranged marriages aim to keep wealth etc within the 'family', which means first cousins often marry each other, leading to a very high incidence of genetic defects like microcephaly in their offspring. This is unfortunately very common in countries - and cultures - where arranged marriages are commonplace.


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2052305 - 03/22/13 07:15 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: theJourney]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by wr
I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.


Interesting thought.

So when a person buys a bushel of rice to dump it into a ditch, this is the same as someone buying a bushel of rice and distributing it to the poor and hungry. All purchase motives are equal.
I was speaking about pianos and not rice. When I said that anyone's reason for buying a piano being just as good as anyone else's, I was thinking of at least reasonable motives.

But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..
Who is the arbiter of what is reasonable? Pianoloverus, I presume?
If you actually think using a piano to commit murder and using a piano as furniture are equally reasonable or equally unreasonable you are in a very tiny minority.

Originally Posted by theJourney
Your strong objection to others being allowed to express their value judgments regarding the Steinway-as-furniture motives of piano purchasers is itself a value judgment which you wish to impose on others here...
I have no objection to others being allowed to express their value judgments and never said anything like that. I said I disagreed with those those judgements which is totally different.

#2052310 - 03/22/13 07:25 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: theJourney]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Damon
....Love is usually a passing notion. More hormones than anything else.

Would you agree that maybe that's just one kind of love?


Sure, but I wouldn't marry for the other kinds.


You would feel right at home in my city. Prostitution is legal by the act, by the minute, by the hour, by the day, you name it.


That was quite a leap. The only other kinds of love that I recognize are the kind one has for their parents or children, children being the closest to unconditional love. The kind of love that would have me seek out a prostitute is the same that would have me seek a wife. In my later years now I prefer to be a hermit. Your city holds no attraction for me.

#2052311 - 03/22/13 07:26 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,491
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,491
UK
Welcome to MarriageHome.com! (which actually is a site (up for sale) so don't click it! wink

#2052333 - 03/22/13 08:26 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
Banned
Originally Posted by Damon
The kind of love that would have me seek out a prostitute is the same that would have me seek a wife.


Indeed. That was what I understood.

We seem to have very different ideas about the foundation upon which a healthy marriage should be built. I can understand why being a hermit might be preferable to such an arrangement.

#2052337 - 03/22/13 08:38 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,946
Banned
You say now:
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I have no objection to others being allowed to express their value judgments and never said anything like that. I said I disagreed with those those judgements which is totally different.

While you said before:
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..



To strongly object to those who complain is not the same thing as strongly objecting to opinions held or values not shared.

We can't read your mind, we can only go on what you write here. And your words seem to be quite clear.


#2052354 - 03/22/13 09:11 AM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: theJourney]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by theJourney
You say now:
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I have no objection to others being allowed to express their value judgments and never said anything like that. I said I disagreed with those those judgements which is totally different.

While you said before:
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..
To strongly object to those who complain is not the same thing as strongly objecting to opinions held or values not shared. We can't read your mind, we can only go on what you write here. And your words seem to be quite clear.
I think my words were clear as I originally wrote it and they meant what I said in my last post. When you put part of what I said in boldface you conveniently didn't boldface the rest of the sentence which completed the thought. If one objects to those who complain about something specific, that would normally mean one objects to what they said and not simply to the act of complaining.



Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/22/13 01:45 PM.
#2052430 - 03/22/13 12:10 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: theJourney]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Damon
The kind of love that would have me seek out a prostitute is the same that would have me seek a wife.


Indeed. That was what I understood.

We seem to have very different ideas about the foundation upon which a healthy marriage should be built. I can understand why being a hermit might be preferable to such an arrangement.


I thought you might be leaning towards the idea of a "soul mate" which, in my book, puts you in unicorn-land. Companionship is perfectly legitimate but I don't equate that to love.

#2052441 - 03/22/13 12:34 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Damon]  
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Pogorelich.  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,701
not somewhere over the rainbow
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Damon
The kind of love that would have me seek out a prostitute is the same that would have me seek a wife.


Indeed. That was what I understood.

We seem to have very different ideas about the foundation upon which a healthy marriage should be built. I can understand why being a hermit might be preferable to such an arrangement.


I thought you might be leaning towards the idea of a "soul mate" which, in my book, puts you in unicorn-land. Companionship is perfectly legitimate but I don't equate that to love.


Just because you couldn't find it, or had it one day and lost it, doesn't mean it's not there. Obviously something bad has made you think this way, and I can only feel sorry for you.



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
#2052469 - 03/22/13 01:19 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,974
outo Offline
2000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,974
Finland
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by wr
I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.


Interesting thought.

So when a person buys a bushel of rice to dump it into a ditch, this is the same as someone buying a bushel of rice and distributing it to the poor and hungry. All purchase motives are equal.
I was speaking about pianos and not rice. When I said that anyone's reason for buying a piano being just as good as anyone else's, I was thinking of at least reasonable motives.

But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..
Who is the arbiter of what is reasonable? Pianoloverus, I presume?
If you actually think using a piano to commit murder and using a piano as furniture are equally reasonable or equally unreasonable you are in a very tiny minority.



Now this was interesting...how to commit murder with a piano...You cannot really hit anyone in the head with it...unless you are a giant...I guess if it's a grand you could ask someone to look at the strings very closely and then slam the lid...

#2052480 - 03/22/13 01:31 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: outo]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Online content
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you: Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2052483 - 03/22/13 01:32 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Pogorelich.]  
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,612
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I can only feel sorry for you.


Thanks, but it isn't necessary. I'm quite happy.

#2052484 - 03/22/13 01:34 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Mark_C]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
There already has been a film where someone was killed by having a piano lid smashed on their head a few times.

#2052496 - 03/22/13 02:00 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: bennevis]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 755
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 755
Germany
Originally Posted by bennevis
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

Or maybe to Tom and Jerry? wink
There was already a short T&J movie where Tom gets killed by a piano while chasing Jerry. Then he ascends to heaven, where he is told that he has one hour to make Jerry forgive him, otherwise he'll end up in heck. And at the end:
Tom wakes up, and it was all a dream.


EDIT: The board is replacing h e l l with h e c k? What the heck?


Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.
#2052528 - 03/22/13 02:50 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]  
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 782
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 782
Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by patH

EDIT: The board is replacing h e l l with h e c k? What the heck?

ha I always get a chuckle when people discover this little curiosity (as I did a couple of months ago). I would assume the software should allow for a customized verboten list, but whoever maintains it must take particular offense to the 'h' word.

But if it's any consolation, you are free to use "damn" and "bullshit" with reckless abandon! laugh

Last edited by Old Man; 03/22/13 02:55 PM.
#2052532 - 03/22/13 03:03 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: Old Man]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by Old Man
....But if it's any consolation, you are free to use "damn" and "bullshit" with reckless abandon! laugh

OK -- dare we see what happens with "----"?

(There -- I just saw. And then deleted the word from what I had typed before posting this.) ha

What comes out:

[censored]

#2052551 - 03/22/13 03:33 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: patH]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Online content
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Online Content
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Originally Posted by patH
Originally Posted by bennevis
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

Or maybe to Tom and Jerry? wink
There was already a short T&J movie where Tom gets killed by a piano while chasing Jerry. Then he ascends to heaven, where he is told that he has one hour to make Jerry forgive him, otherwise he'll end up in heck. And at the end:
Tom wakes up, and it was all a dream.





I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S. grin

My idea involves a new piano competition where competitors have to play on a brand new 110-key grand designed by the founder of the competition, who also composed a concerto that all finalists must play.

Competitors start disappearing mysteriously as they begin practicing on the amazing Böstéînfåzyám piano, trying desperately to master the intractable difficulties of the 90 minute concerto. Everyone thought they were getting cold feet, and pulling out one by one, but too embarrassed to let the organisers know they were flying off home.

Then people began noticing that the piano was 'developing' more and more keys, and its tone was getting more mellifluous as competitors disappeared off into the ether. One of the favored pianists put a hidden video camera to see what was happening during the practice sessions....... wink

....and saw, to her horror, that when the pianist played a wrong note, the piano lid suddenly expanded and curled out, and turned into a huge upper jaw to gobble up the hapless pianist, sucking him into its innards.........grin


Last edited by bennevis; 03/22/13 05:20 PM. Reason: continuing my script ....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2052555 - 03/22/13 03:39 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: bennevis]  
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 21,352
New York
Originally Posted by bennevis
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S.... grin

Great post, and excellent choice! ha

I think it could also work with Quentin Tarantino, or by exhuming Alfred Hitchcock....

#2052585 - 03/22/13 04:19 PM Re: Poll (sort of): Will the 'acoustic piano' become a relic? [Re: bennevis]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 755
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 755
Germany
Originally Posted by bennevis
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S. grin

I can already imagine titles for this movie.

Pianormal Activity
The Last Concerto

Tagline: Some keys should never be used...


Everything is possible, and nothing is sure.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Un Sospiro - measure 22, LH fingering
by gzak. 05/27/17 07:29 PM
Line out jack or Headphone output?
by CMDVN. 05/27/17 05:09 PM
Grand piano on marble floor?
by B Man. 05/27/17 02:49 PM
Sheet music or fakebooks
by dat77. 05/27/17 01:50 PM
Line out jack or Headphone output?
by CMDVN. 05/27/17 01:39 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,922
Posts2,630,368
Members87,901
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0