2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 172 of 452 1 2 170 171 172 173 174 451 452
Hello all,

This forum is exactly what I was looking for ! I dont know anyone else who plays piano or who is learning so this is great.

I have no musical theory knowledge at all and can only read Tab for guitar. I started with the Alfred series Book 1 a week ago and im up to page 52.

Can anyone help me with something though ? There is an exercise on page 41 about writing in 3/4 time.

I dont understand part 3 of the exercise where it says you need to write one note equal in value to the sum of the two notes above it. seems simple enough but I dont get it. If there are 3 beats to the bar how can a dotted half note plus a quarter note add up to anything ? isnt the dotted half note all you need ?

confused !! frown but happy to be here smile

Yamaha P90
D
D
Welcome to the AIO Book 1 forum SmokestackLightnin.

If you follow the logic of the first example it makes sense.

The first example shows 2 quarter notes. Add them together and you get a half note as shown. I'll give you the next one - a dotted half note is equivalent to 3 quarter notes so add that to the quarter note below it and you get a whole note. You're on your own for the rest but you should see what they want now.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ah..the slow dawn of realisation...oh how I love thee lol

thank for you for replying so quickly.

I was over complicating the question. I thought for a minute all the note values changed in 3/4 time so that the 2+2=4 kinda logic wouldnt apply.

awesome forum smile

Yamaha P90
After having worn a brace now for three weeks due to a fracture on the left wrist, I find I can now play so long as I don't stretch the thumb too far. I started book 1 with considerable eagerness. I am now past the marine hymn. I truly find playing each song like a little surprise because of not knowing how it will really sound at first. Sort of like a box of chocolates. However, a few are more like those coffee chocolates that I don't like. Some of the songs just don't sound good to my ears. I play them through to an ok level then move on.

I did find a piano teacher. She's actually a student herself, at the university, studying composition. But she seems to know what she is doing. I showed her the alfred books and she agreed they are nice. But she made a very subtle little face as she flipped through it and said it seems mostly oriented towards pop music. I took the book back and told her that is not the music I want to play. I gave her another book I bought, with beginner classical music. Oh, how her eyes lite up. So she recommended I spend a week practicing a different version of the can can, secret garden, and largo. I think the book is also an alfred's.

I got through all of them, but it doesn't sound half as smooth as I would like. Well, no matter. It doesn't help wearing a brace on the hand.

I really must buy an acoustic piano eventually. I thought about getting one of the reduced size full keyboards from Steinbuhler, because my hands only have 6.9" span. Mini hands. The instructor says no. I am inclined to agree, because the chances of me ever playing something requiring the greater handspan is not likely, since piano will ever be a hobby and never a career.

C
C
Hey GracieCat

I tried the octave jump you described for Blow the Man Down. That is difficult, it is like I am relearning the tune over. But it sounds right. I like it this way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Captain Zero; 03/08/10 10:49 AM.
Does anyone know at what approximate grade level one can expect to be at upon completion of Book 3 of the All In One program? I don't think anything could beat taking lessons from a live teacher but I am on a very tight budget right now and can't afford them, but I do have access to an acoustic.

How important is the cd that comes with the book? And what are the differences between the Basics book and the All-in-one book? Would I be at a disadvantage just going with the basics book?

P
P
The cd isn't that important, you can find the songs on youtube to get a general idea of what it should sound like. The all-in-one book has a couple of extra songs and some extra excercises. The songs aren't anything special, just a few blues songs if I'm not mistaken. I skipped most of the extra songs because they sounded horrible to me, except for The Stranger. There is however one huge advantage to the all-in-one book and that's the plastic comb binding, which makes turning pages and keeping them there ten times easier.

Can't help you with the other question, sorry.

Last edited by Physics; 03/08/10 09:45 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The basic Alfred Adult book only has the lesson pieces, and is meant to be used with a theory book and I think a technique book. The Adult All-in-one includes pages from the theory book and exercises which is why it's called all-in-one. Both books have essentially the same songs/pieces, with a few exceptions. You can't go wrong with either one.

The CD is helpful if you don't have a teacher - so that you can hear what the piece sounds like and you can tell if you are playing it correctly. You can also find some of the pieces played by members at the beginning of this thread, and you can find most of the Book 1 and Book 2 pieces on youtube.com played by PianoNoobAlexMan.

I'm not sure what level Book 3 will take you to, but there are a couple of threads a while back, discussing that topic on this forum.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I caved and finally bought something. (I haven't purchased any sheet music before today.) I got all three levels of Alfred's all-in one.

My son likes it too, and spent about 30 minutes paging through it.

Started level 1 tonight. Wish me luck! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
N
N
Good luck Ben. You'll enjoy it tremendously.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
N
Hi Ben, welcome to the group! I also purchased all three of the Alfred group (about mid January) and have been enjoying it thoroughly! Although, with tax season, I am a bit behind on my practicing, but I try and get at least 15 minutes a day..if not more. I'm up to the Lone Star Waltz.

Good luck to you! Please post your progress or questions!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

D
D
Is anyone else here working on scales?

I opened my big mouth at a lesson a few weeks ago asking if I should be practicing scales (teacher hadn't brought it up yet) and he thought it would be a good idea. I had been working on C, F, and G Major scales hands separate, one octave on my own but he added in a second octave and told me to start working on hands together, both same direction and opposing direction.

I don't have much trouble going in opposing direction (contrary motion?), the thumbs or fingers move at the same time, but trying to gain any speed with both hands in the same direction seems to be going nowhere. When it's time to move a thumb under or a finger over I have to stop and think about which one's turn it is to move, was it finger 3 or finger 4, etc.. It feels very awkward and clumsy.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted it yet or has gained any proficiency. Or is this pretty early to be expecting to be able to do this with any success? Most references to this I have found seem to start this type of practice after the first year. I am only a few months in and about 2/3s of the way through book 1. The book has only introduced the C major scale and only one octave and has not suggested practicing hands together.

Just wondering.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DougF, were you sitting on my shoulder during my lesson last week? smile

Last week before my lesson, I also got it into my head that I should be working on scales. Why? I don't know. I just hear others doing it. Anyway, I looked up on the internet on how to do the C scale in two octaves, and started practicing it. I went to my lesson and unlike you, I didn't ask my teacher. (I'm not too excited about the thought of doing scales with both hands in the same direction.)

We hadn't yet turned to the page with the C scale and she says, "Let's learn to do the C scale in two octaves." I was grinning like a cat. Then I spilled the beans and told her I had just started practicing that, that week. After we went over the scale some, we moved forward in the book and there was the C scale in the book. I didn't realize it was there.

Anyway, I'm working on both hands separate right now. (I'm also secretly working on the G scale as well.) At home, I am also going through the Bastien Book linked here. It's very similar to Alfred's but it's already covered the key of G. I'm use to using cords that fall in the G scale. I wish the Alfred's book would really cover the key of G. The Bastien book covers the key of C and lets you work there, then it covers the key of G and works you there in the same manner.

Anyway, I'm also doing some Hanon. Alfred had two exercises earlier in the book. I went and bought "Hanon The Virtuoso Pianist in sixty exercises". Both those exercises are in full in this book. (#1 & #6) I do these just about every day about twice each. My teacher said she doesn't start doing these until level 2-3, but she's happy for me to do some work there. I think both those exercises are well within a real beginner's ability. Slow at first and just a little daily practice really picked up my speed. I can see a difference in my ability to move on the keyboard and finger strength.

But to answer you original question. No, I can't do more than C & G scales in two octaves, hands separately. I can do one octive, hands together same direction in only one octive, slowly.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
Also, I just remembered I have the book Piano Essentials, scales, chords, arpeggios and cadences for the contemporary pianist. I just realized that the scales are in there. LOL! I haven't done anything in this book yet. I guess I wasn't really sure what to do with it and I have a ton of other stuff I'm working through already. I'm going to look more into this book after my lesson today. The book included a CD.

At quick glance, the book may be a little more than what I'm ready for. We'll see...

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
D
D
We seem to be on the same path GracieCat.

I'll take a look at the Bastian Book. It almost seems like Alfred's is secretly throwing in other keys as it introduces the sharps and flats. I have the Greatest Hits book and Love Me Tender is the first piece and it's in the key of G, but they don't indicate it as so.

I also use Hanon #1 as a warm up exercise and have tried #2 but don't do it regularly. It has helped tremendously with dexterity and speed. I'll have to try #6.

I got a couple books from the library on scale and chord exercises to see if I wanted to buy one or not. One of them was from Berklee but I can't remember the name of it. The one you mention sounds familiar, is it published by Berklee?

I have a lesson today and I have to say I don't feel very well prepared for it. I think I had too much to work on. I had a couple old pieces (Lullaby, Joy To The World) and 4 new ones (the 3 blues pieces plus Wonderful World from the GH book). That plus the scales and I don't think I had enough time to work on each one properly. I also had a bad cold and didn't feel like practicing as much as usual.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yes, that scale book is by Berklee.

I also felt like I had a lot to work on this past week. I couldn't really accomplish anything completely, but I did make a little progress. After today's lesson, I'll still be working on Lullaby. We didn't get time to do Rock It Away, but I know I can do that one easily. Joy to the World is coming along. Just a little more effort on my part and I should pass it next week.

Looking ahead, Cockles and Mussels doesn't seem too hard. Got Those Blues was rough the first handful of times, but should get through it easily enough. Actually through page 109 won't be too bad.

My tough pieces are out of Alfreds Masterwork Classics book. The pieces look simple, but I'm having a rough time working my hands independently. (pages 7-9)

Also assigned Hanon, exercise #2...only half way through though.

Good luck at your lesson.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
D
D
You're making great progress. I too am stuck on Lullaby. I could play it pretty good at home last night but it fell apart terribly at my lesson today. I just could not get it right all the way through for some reason. I could play short stretches but then I would screw up and had to start all over. Teacher is very understanding and patient though, but it's still on my to-do list.

Rock It Away should give you no problems and Cockles and Mussels is kinda fun to play and went easily for me so you will find that fairly easy. Got Those Blues comes together fast. The other 2 blues pieces are not very difficult either. Took me about a week to get them fairly smooth.

I got passed on Joy To The World, Got Those Blues and Blues For Wynton Marsalis. Chasing the Blues Away needs some fine tuning but I mentioned that I did not like the song and he demonstrated some different rhythms and added a drum track for me and it sounds much better with some embellishment. I will try doing it with the backing track from the CD.

We started On Top Of Old Smokey and that doesn't seem too hard. I also am working on What A Wonderful World but didn't play it today.

I also have to keep working on the scales so another 2 weeks of lots to do.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Hey GracieCat... again with Blow the Man Down.

I was have been working on the octave jump in Blow the Man Down and showed it to my teacher. She gave me some additional thoughts on that. First was to play the root on the lower octave. So the C major is just a straight drop to the lower C. But the G7 would drop down to a low G instead of using the B shown for the higher octave chord. She suggested staying on the root when playing the very low notes like that - like a bass player in the a combo group. Her second suggestion was for playing the top half of the broken chord - to play the three note triad instead of the two notes shown on the staff. Play the full chord to match the fuller sound of the deep note. And finally, her third thought was to use the sustain after playing that lower octave note, just until the top half the broken chord was voiced. That fills the void while the hand is moving back up to the higher octave. It holds the lower note until the rest of the notes come in. Only sustain for a breif time, just until the top half of the chord is located.

I am oaky with the first two suggestions. My timing is not up to speed on the sustain pedal. It sounded great when she demonstrated. I'm not adept at it though. A new challenge - like I didn't have enough of those already.

Thanks again for the idea. I have been wanting to do that octave jumping thingy for awhile. I have seen it used but never got a handle on it for myself. This is really helping me get there.

CaptainZero, I just play the lower octave notes (2 lower octaves with one hand) then use the sustain pedal. I really can't get it to flow. I'm really sick of the song.

I'll try the other ideas you listed another day when I'm not dead tired.

Another thing she had me do a few weeks ago was play Sweet Hour of Prayer in the key of C with my right hand, then add C, F and G7 chords in my left. The next week she had me boink out the beginning of the chords and octave lower and finish out the chords like normal. It's really fun getting that left hand boinking out some lower notes and moving around. Fun Fun.

Maybe you can find a simple basic song to figure out by ear. Just figure out the melody little by little then after you have that add a few chords. It's pretty cool to sit and stare at your hands instead of the music.

Doug, sounds like you're doing good. Next week you'll get a lot passed. You have a lot to work on.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
N
N
Originally Posted by GracieCat
I'm really sick of the song.
smile I miss this place & these discussions.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Page 172 of 452 1 2 170 171 172 173 174 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission