2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

It's great whenever you can join us on anything, even though it puts a little damper on those of us who just fly by the seat of our pants. ha

So, Oshry didn't faithfully represent Rosen's view; he made it seem like Rosen was just flying by the seat of his pants!

As best I can imagine what I'd think if I were looking from scratch at the French or English edition -- i.e. not knowing the piece, never having heard it, etc. -- well, I better start by saying it's impossible for me to imagine it with much confidence. In line with what Bennevis said, if we're used to it a certain way, we're unavoidably biased -- and I think it isn't just people "of a certain age" grin but probably most people altogether who've become familiar with the piece, because I think it continues to be played mostly in the 'traditional' way.

Anyway, as best I can imagine what I'd think.....I really think I would have felt this was a bit of a mystery, and that maybe the notation on the page was incomplete, because of how going back to the very beginning breaks the momentum -- not unlike taking the repeat in the 1st mvt of Opus 58 -- and because I think the harmonic progression wouldn't have worked well to my ear. It wouldn't have been a unique example of something seeming to be incomplete on a Chopin page; the main example that leaps to mind is that little mazurka in C from Opus 7 with no ending. ha

I hope I would have wondered if the repeat was supposed to go back to the Doppio movimento. If not, I think I would have wondered if Chopin just didn't mean the repeat seriously, as per what Argerichfan said about Opus 58 and with which I agree.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by AldenH
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
And by the way - we should all agree that in Op. 35, observe all repeats and in the first movement exposition, repeat back to bar 1.
Agreed! So sayeth the gospel of Rosen.

....IMO repeating all the way back to the Grave destroys all the momentum generated in the exposition....

I'm with you, 100%, and I'm sure of it.

....And how is Rosen so sure of himself?

He wasn't, even if he thought he was. People should never be sure of things. grin

I've never heard or seen anything about the repeat being there. Can someone expand on this concept? I don't think I like the idea of repeating from bar 1, but would still like to know about this sentiment.

Rosen's evidence derives from the French and English first editions (not a "Warsaw autograph," which does not exist; no autograph of the complete Sonata exists).

I invite you all to look here:

Chopin First Editions Online

Make your way to op. 35, and look at the first pages of the French and English editions. (The site doesn't let me link you directly to the pages, so you'll have to do this yourself. Even if you get lost, you'll have fun: Chopin first editions!)

Imagine yourself a pianist in London or Paris in the 1840s, taking the exposition repeat. You look at the first page. No double bar, no repeat dots under "Doppio movimento". Just a regular, single barline. Presumably many (most? all?) pianists would go back to the start of the movement, as the default location for the beginning of a repeat in the absence of a double bar with repeat dots earlier.

(There's good reason to suppose that the French and English editions reflect the reading of the now-lost autograph. The German edition does have the double bar and repeat dots at the "doppio movimento," but this reflects a manuscript in the hand of a copyist [probably Adolf Gutmann] - and importantly, that manuscript just has the double bars. So the repeat dots were added by the German publisher, and one might suppose that Gutmann added the double bar, to reflect the tempo change - but maybe not the location of the beginning of the repeat.)

So the textual evidence for the repeat going back to the Grave seems pretty clear. Rosen wasn't just going on "feeling."

All that said, if a pianist doesn't believe in the musical sense of the repeat going back to the "Grave," I'd much prefer to hear her or him go to the "doppio movimento" (or just skip it all together): I want to be convinced by a performance, not hear simple allegiance to a text.

Jeff Kallberg

Some great info! Thanks! Also notice there is no One Octave Lower notation on the B-flat octave in the third-to-last measure of the third movement.

I've got some meditations to do on that repeat! I'll ask again, are there any recordings on YouTube of the first bar repeat? (I know I can just start the recording over at the proper time, but I'd like to hear it for real!)

JoelW #2047975 03/14/13 12:49 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Some excellent posts.

But yet... I always thought one of the most arresting aspects of the 1st movement was that repeat from the Doppio movimento. It has always struck me as pure genius, and incredibly exciting!

Go figure... laugh

Jason
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Some great info! Thanks! Also notice there is no One Octave Lower notation on the B-flat octave in the third-to-last measure of the third movement.

As the Chopin National Edition mentions, Chopin's piano didn't have that note. Its bottom note was a C, and he uses that note in the development. Like Mozart, he used the resources of the instrument he was writing for, and 88 keys was not yet the universal standard.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

As the Chopin National Edition mentions, Chopin's piano didn't have that note. Its bottom note was a C, and he uses that note in the development. Like Mozart, he used the resources of the instrument he was writing for, and 88 keys was not yet the universal standard.

Aha! Much like now we can use the Bosendorfer Imperial to play those bits in Scarbo.

Aha! Much like now we can use the Bosendorfer Imperial to play those bits in Scarbo.

But should we? ha

Or, in Beethoven's D major Sonata (10/3), should we really leave out the high F# on the fermata near the end of the 1st page, as Beethoven wrote it, presumably because his piano didn't have the key? Should we go 'all the way up' in the recap of the 1st mvt, as we do in the exposition, or curtail it as Beethoven had to because the piano didn't go up that high?

There's a similar thing in the last mvt of Mozart's 2-piano sonata.

But I'm just giving you (and Ravel) a hard time. grin
I'd play the dam lower notes in Scarbo all right.
But I'd leave the Mozart and Beethoven alone. I think they're better with the adjustments that the composers were sort of forced into.

Mark_C #2048073 03/14/13 07:59 AM

But I'd leave the Mozart and Beethoven alone. I think they're better with the adjustments that the composers were sort of forced into.

Yes, I agree! The twists they introduce are delightful (cf. Mozart K. 488 finale recap).

Mark_C #2048109 03/14/13 09:34 AM
J
J
Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

It's great whenever you can join us on anything, even though it puts a little damper on those of us who just fly by the seat of our pants. ha

Mark C: Musicologist coming along and spoiling everyone's fun . . . the story of my life!

Didyougetthathing:

Here's a YouTube (Avdeeva from the last Chopin competition) that takes the repeat back to the Grave:

Avdeeva Chopin op 35 first mvt repeat

Jeff Kallberg

B
B
Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

Mark C: Musicologist coming along and spoiling everyone's fun . . . the story of my life!

Didyougetthathing:

Here's a YouTube (Avdeeva from the last Chopin competition) that takes the repeat back to the Grave:

Jeff Kallberg

In case everyone's thinking it's all the late Charles Rosen's fault that people are now questioning what everyone with white hair holds dear wink , I first heard about it from a radio program discussion between scholars (mainly European) and pianists some years ago. Charles Rosen's name never cropped up. And Uchida's recording of the Sonatas (1987) was the first time I'd heard anyone play the repeat from the Grave.

Let me quote from the sleeve-note to her CD (written by Misha Donat):
"Listeners to Mitsuko Uchida's recording may be surprised by her inclusion of the slow opening bars in the repeat of the exposition. However, the manuscript copy from which the first edition was prepared does not specify merely a return to the start of the Allegro; and the unresolved cadence that ends the exposition actually leads more logically to the emphatic D flat with which the slow opening bars begin."

If music be the food of love, play on!
Mark_C #2048207 03/14/13 01:24 PM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

So, Oshry didn't faithfully represent Rosen's view; he made it seem like Rosen was just flying by the seat of his pants!

As best I can imagine what I'd think if I were looking from scratch at the French or English edition -- i.e. not knowing the piece, never having heard it, etc. -- well, I better start by saying it's impossible for me to imagine it with much confidence. In line with what Bennevis said, if we're used to it a certain way, we're unavoidably biased -- and I think it isn't just people "of a certain age" grin but probably most people altogether who've become familiar with the piece, because I think it continues to be played mostly in the 'traditional' way.

Anyway, as best I can imagine what I'd think.....I really think I would have felt this was a bit of a mystery, and that maybe the notation on the page was incomplete, because of how going back to the very beginning breaks the momentum -- not unlike taking the repeat in the 1st mvt of Opus 58 -- and because I think the harmonic progression wouldn't have worked well to my ear. It wouldn't have been a unique example of something seeming to be incomplete on a Chopin page; the main example that leaps to mind is that little mazurka in C from Opus 7 with no ending. ha

I hope I would have wondered if the repeat was supposed to go back to the Doppio movimento. If not, I think I would have wondered if Chopin just didn't mean the repeat seriously, as per what Argerichfan said about Opus 58 and with which I agree.

I think there is something of a double standard here, in that you question Rosen on the basis of interjecting his own opinion and feelings in the matter (and by the way, if you agreed, would you care?) and then interject your own opinion in order to throw things into question again.

In my mind, there's no avoiding it - Chopin wrote what he wrote. People got it wrong because of an engraver's error, and the mistake got perpetuated because people mistakenly thought it was correct - not because they thought it was better. You can prefer it the "traditional way," but it is still wrong, and any discussion about it is basically moot because of that. The matter is simply black and white.

You have this habit of questioning Chopin. Why do you think that the rules of notation, convention, etc. don't apply to him the same way they do to Brahms or Mendelssohn? Chopin composed just as carefully as them and, in some ways, with an even greater attention to detail. Yet there is this subset of musicology that is fond of twisting his instructions in some unnatural way because they can't make sense of them. Why? If you follow the score the results are fantastic. If you take the notion that Chopin was vastly superior to any other composer at the time and he knew exactly what he was doing, and you probably don't, then you can make some progress.

I think there is something of a double standard here, in that you question Rosen on the basis of interjecting his own opinion and feelings in the matter (and by the way, if you agreed, would you care?) and then interject your own opinion in order to throw things into question again....

Absolutely not!!

All I was saying about Rosen's view (when it was presented as opinion and feelings) was that it wasn't a definitive answer -- that it wasn't any strong basis for overturning anything and that it was no better (nor worse) than other opinions and feelings. I was never elevating my feelings and opinions to a higher level than his! Just perhaps preferring them. smile

But the biggest distinction was that he was trying to overturn traditional wisdom; I was going along with it. There's a higher bar on overturning something.

....You have this habit of questioning Chopin. Why do you think that the rules of notation, convention, etc. don't apply to him the same way they do to Brahms or Mendelssohn? Chopin composed just as carefully as them and, in some ways, with an even greater attention to detail. Yet there is this subset of musicology that is fond of twisting his instructions in some unnatural way because they can't make sense of them. Why? If you follow the score the results are fantastic....

I think you're mischaracterizing what I do, and in fact I don't even see any relation of it to what I'm doing on here, but that's OK -- I'll address it anyway. grin

I don't "question" what Chopin did; I try to make the best sense of what he wrote, and I'm hardly alone in feeling that aspects of sound, shaping, balance, rhythm, and pedaling are more complex with Chopin than with most other composers. I also think that those of us with this kind of view get better and richer results for it, and can get more "fantastic" results than those who don't want to consider it. It opens a whole additional world of depth and nuance.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Jeff Kallberg

Thanks for the link. I don't think it's that jarring going back to the Grave. And now, looking at the manuscripts and such, it is becoming more clear that perhaps the repeat should be from bar 1. However, since this 'error' has been played for so many decades, and since I am used to it repeating from the Doppio Movimento, I don't think I'll ever prefer it the proper way.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Jeff Kallberg

Thanks for the link. I don't think it's that jarring going back to the Grave. And now, looking at the manuscripts and such, it is becoming more clear that perhaps the repeat should be from bar 1. However, since this 'error' has been played for so many decades, and since I am used to it repeating from the Doppio Movimento, I don't think I'll ever prefer it the proper way.

On the other hand, I already do. I always thought it was strange that the sonata had no recapitulation, but the full exposition repeat balances it out. Also, it helps to tie the Grave thematically to the development section if it's repeated.

....I always thought it was strange that the sonata had no recapitulation....

It's not that there's no recap, it's that the first theme is sort of missing from it -- but I think most would say that what makes up for it isn't repeating the exposition, but how the development section is so chock full of that first theme and therefore (brilliantly!!) takes the place of the appearance of that theme in the recap.

BTW somewhat the same occurs in the 3rd Sonata.

JoelW #2048482 03/15/13 12:51 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Well Mark, Jeffrey pretty much has us here. Funny when the castles fall, and I guess I was wrong all this time even if I personally thought the repeat from the Doppio movimento a marvelous moment.

I have no problem -I didn't know scholarly background- so let us pick up the pieces and move on. I would rather try to see it Chopin's way now.

Very interesting thread.

Jason
JoelW #2048491 03/15/13 01:19 AM
Isn't musicology fun? grin

AldenH #2048495 03/15/13 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by AldenH
Isn't musicology fun? grin

Yeah, if you're the musicologist! ha

Originally Posted by argerichfan
Well Mark, Jeffrey pretty much has us here....

Well, yes and no! I mean, is anyone among us going to change how we wanted to play it?

OK, OK.
Are there maybe some of us who won't change how we wanted to play it? grin

I'm still completely inclined to play it the traditional way. (Without guilt.) And that's the advantage of being an amateur -- you can do whatever you want, and you don't have to worry that it means you might not be able to pay the rent. whome

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission