2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Amos Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built.

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
smokin cursing

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Amos
Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built.

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

By all accounts, Yamaha AvantGrand comes closest to a real piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yamaha:
AvantGrands
NU1
CLP/CVP Series

Roland:
V-Piano/Grand
FP-7F
RD-700NX
HP Series

Kawai:
CA Series
CS Series
MP-10/6

All of the DPs above fulfill your needs.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We abuse this deceased equine all too often, but what he said ^.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by LesCharles73; 03/14/13 12:35 AM.

Les C Deal

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I tuned a Yamaha DC6X today, which is a real piano with the capabilities of a digital piano.

Semipro Tech
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by BDB
I tuned a Yamaha DC6X today, which is a real piano with the capabilities of a digital piano.

Not to mention the capabilities of a friggin' pianola too!

If I had an extra forty-thousand euros laying around the house I think I might be tempted to get one of these beauties. The fact that Yamaha keeps building and improving and supporting these very cool products makes me very endeared to the company.

Pity about that Yamaha sound though....

B
BDB Offline
B
It is possible to get a real nice sound out of Yamahas. We had a DC7 that was gorgeous, but unfortunately it was damaged in moving. That was the day I learned that, "Are we glad to see you!" is not what you want to hear when you show up to tune for a show. The CFIIIses have been nice. I am waiting for our CFX.

As long as we have the DC6X, I am hoping that we could have some classes on its capabilities. It has MIDI in and out, recording and playback, and a silent feature, none of which I know how to use, but I can imagine some interesting possibilities, and I am not really into electronic music.

Semipro Tech
"We had a DC7 that was gorgeous, but unfortunately it was damaged in moving."

Did it travel by air? By DC7? They had their drawbacks . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Originally Posted by Amos

Please this is crucial!
Thank you folks.

You could get a lot of people hot under the collar with this question grin .

But I'll try very hard to be unbiased wink , and just point you in some general directions.
Assuming money is no object, have a look at the Roland V-Piano Grand and the Yamaha AvantGrand N3.

They were designed with different priorities. The Roland V-P Grand (and its stage version the V-Piano) is the only modeled digital piano to date, and it's designed to simulate all the tonal and touch responses of a real grand piano. It also gives the user the ability to customize several parameters to his liking, using any of 30 factory presets (all piano sounds - nothing else), including decay time (=sustain), damping time, hammer hardness, tone color, and soundboard, string, cross-resonances, tuning of individual 'strings', even pedal noise. Most of those parameters are adjustable from -100 to +100, so there's a huge range to fine-tune to the sound and response you want.

The AvantGrand, on the other hand, has its raison-d'être a grand piano action, which is a modified version of that found in a Yamaha grand (not concert grand, though the sounds are sampled from the CF-IIIS, now superseded by the CFX - the latter's sounds can be found on the NU1, which has the same philosophy but using an upright action).

Both have marvellous speaker systems designed to simulate the sounds emanating from a baby grand.

There are several videos of the V-P Grand being played and recorded in a concert hall setting (like for an acoustic grand in a classical concert), like this one: http://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo
For the AG: http://youtu.be/dpHO4lZtmqo
(I borrowed them from PianoZac's thread about V-P Grand v AG, which you might want to have a look at, if you enjoy fisticuffs..... grin)

Last edited by bennevis; 03/14/13 09:24 AM. Reason: fixed AG link

If music be the food of love, play on!
C
C
@Bennevis, did you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKktyeuIs1U for the AG? Your link tells "video not available".

IMHO the V-P Grand sounds way better and richer than the AG. Shame Roland doesn't use real wooden keyboards.

Yamaha has some hybrid pianos with real piano actions built in. (for the cost of a comparable acoustic instrument.)***

Kawai's recent wooden keys actions in their otherwise digital pianos are very real and good actions too, but without the mechanical ballast from the acoustics they cost much less.

***: A good acoustic has not to be new (but in a good state), 50 Ys. are here the best age of a nice Lady.

B
B
Originally Posted by CarloPiano
@Bennevis, did you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKktyeuIs1U for the AG? Your link tells "video not available".

IMHO the V-P Grand sounds way better and richer than the AG. Shame Roland doesn't use real wooden keyboards.

Sorry - fixed that link now: it's probably a better comparison with the V-P Grand video than the Katsaris one, because it's been recorded in what looks like a hall.

I've played the V-Piano Grand in a real (classical) concert hall, and (after a little judicious tweaking of its sustain and tone colour parameters) its resemblance to a real concert grand in its sound and response to touch and articulation and dynamics was quite uncanny. It really did feel like there was nothing one couldn't do on it that one could on a 9ft grand.

Yamaha never promoted their AGs in a series of classical concerts around the world like Roland did with the V-P Grand (unmiked and unamplified just like in a normal piano recital), so I have no direct comparison with the N3 in this setting.

K
K
Pianoteq + keys with good hammer action + low latency audio interface + high end open back headphones + time to set it all up

studiologic acuna 88
Pianoteq 4
traktor audio 2
AKG k701
Hoffman upright piano
B
B
Originally Posted by CarloPiano

Apologies, it was my mistake when transferring PianoZac's link to this thread - fixed the AvantGrand YouTube video link now.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ad nauseam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam

My take:

V - less filling
AG - tastes great

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I can't believe anyone responded to this thread. The original question makes no sense. Unless perhaps if you interpret "close" in the subject to mean "closest," which I do not.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I wish you could get an AvantGrand N3 with VI Labs True Keys preinstalled.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I can't believe anyone responded to this thread. The original question makes no sense. Unless perhaps if you interpret "close" in the subject to mean "closest," which I do not.

Have you played the AvantGrand?

http://techland.time.com/2013/01/23/mostly-piano-not-pretender-yamahas-avantgrand-n2-a-year-later/

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I agree that the AG is a nice machine (I've never played an N3 but I've played several N2's). But the OP popped in and said "Can someone list out DP's with the capabilities of a real piano? In terms of Tone, Touch and Built." And, I might add, never checked back.

All DP's we talk about here have capabilities of a real piano. That's the answer. None of them have the exact tone, touch, or build of an acoustic. That's the other part of the answer. Further, the OP put essentially zero effort into the thread and hasn't been back since, which makes it seem like it deserves even less effort in answering.

The OP didn't ask "Which DP sounds the most like an acoustic?" or "Which DP has the best touch?" Those are the two questions people are answering.

If you guys want to make an interesting thread out of this, I'm happy to follow it. I'm just surprised anyone bothered, because in my opinion the OP doesn't deserve it.

Last edited by gvfarns; 03/14/13 02:07 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission