2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
congrats!
i got my carpet tile from flor.com

PLEYEL P124
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ed said:

If Norbert is advising you on a Tech to choose, you should ask what guarantee he provides that you will be satisfied with the result. You should also ask if he gets a commission or reduced rates from the Tech's he promotes. I think that it is only fair and professional that all pertinent potential conflicts of interest are disclosed.

Ed, I don't know you and you don't know me. We live in 2 different countries, so I am a little puzzled by the hostility in your recent posts against me.

I do not and NEVER have promoted techs for which I am getting paid. Not even one single case.

The only techs I recommmend [outside our own service commitments to customers..] are:

1] those known to me - including their work

2] those IMHO best suited for the job.

For example, I might well recommend one technician for rebulding, another one for concert work. One technician for tuning and voicing, another one for fine regulation.

When asked, nobody has to follow these recommendations and nobody has ever had to pay me for giving out their name.

If I'd know you better and you'd live in our area,would have no quirks recommending you.

Alas, I neither know YOU - nor your work.

Please enlighten if like [or can..]

Kindly supply proof of your claim.

Your statement has been entirely wrong thinking an apology or retraction might be in order - gladly accepted!

thanks in advance

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 03/13/13 09:56 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I believe that an apology is owed to Norbert, also. When I first read the statement, I thought it was totally out of line. It was a very uncalled for statement by McMorrow.

This is the same person who accused me of being a bigot for stating a preference.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Norbert,
I agree with you that we don't know much about each other except what we have read here. I see nothing to apologize about in my post. I only described pertinent question regarding potential conflicts of interest regarding you giving technical advice to a pianist. That falls within my purview as a professional Piano technician giving advice. If you are insulted by that you have a very thin skin as a salesperson. My understanding is that you are not a piano technician-If so you would be wise to leave technical questions to the professionals. If I am wrong about that please don't think I am trying to insult you.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Minnesota Marty,
You are distorting my post! I did not call you a bigot and anyone can read the posting to see that.
It is you kind sir who is in need of offering an apology for inflammatory and distorted rhetoric!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Mr. McMorrow,

The above statement is even more insulting. Mr. Marten is certainly qualified to make recommendations about tuners and technicians. He stature in the professional piano community is very well established.

Answering the request for a referral is not giving technical advice.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Minnesota Marty,
You are distorting my post! I did not call you a bigot and anyone can read the posting to see that.
It is you kind sir who is in need of offering an apology for inflammatory and distorted rhetoric!

This is what you wrote:
Marty,
Your preference can be construed as a type of "prejudice". I was only trying to point that out in a less direct way.

Here was my reply:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Oh Paaa-leeze!

Preference is not prejudice. I prefer cherry pie. Does that mean that I hold prejudice against blueberry? You are pushing this past the bounds of reality.

Prejudice is the manifestation of bigotry.

My preference was to employ a tuner who played the piano, as opposed to one who does not. That was the premise of the thread.

Marty in Minnesota

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Marty,
Lady Chen did not ask for Techs to be recommended. Norbert's offer was unsolicited.

You say I called you a bigot! I say where! Prove it!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Lady Chen did not ask for Techs to be recommended. Norbert's offer was unsolicited.

You say I called you a bigot! I say where! Prove it!

Norbert was only being kind to a fellow Canadian. Solicitation has nothing to do with it.

For proof, read my posting above.

Marty in Minnesota

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Mr. Minnesota Marty,
How is that you feel so free to comment on Norbert's intentions regarding his unsolicited offer to recommend a tech to Lady Chen. Are you inside his head? How do you KNOW his offer was an act of kindness? If you read his post just after Lady Chen remarked about maybe needing to get some technical work done on the piano she was purchasing-he OFFERED to recommend a tech. She didn't ask for recommendations.

You twist my posts-and say you are insulted-and say that I insult others! I have done no such thing! You are the one who should be apologizing! I wish you good luck because you will need it with an attitude like you have shown towards me!

You posted excerpts from me above clearly show I did not call you a "bigot". You are stretching the language I used in an inflammatory and insulting manner and all can clearly read that.

You prefer to hire a tech who plays, that means that you would dismiss a tech from consideration by deliberately ignoring their professional skills. That my friend is prejudice plain and simple! That does not make you a bigot however! And I said no such thing!

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
I thought Norbert's offer was quite kind, actually. I even tried to PM him, but his inbox was full smile. And I'm 99% sure he would recommend the tech I have in mind for the job anyway.

So enough of the quibbling -- you're stealing my thunder. I bought a freakin' grand piano! yay!

I only described pertinent question regarding potential conflicts of interest regarding you giving technical advice to a pianist.

This is as ridiculous as it gets.

I have been playing piano for 60 years and have a VERY good technical understanding of things. I am very glad to share that experience with others. When with other pianists or musicians, "touch" and "tome" is what it's all about.

That falls within my purview as a professional Piano technician giving advice.

What does fall within your purview is "how" you as a tech can help a pianist to accomplish his goal or dream. "What" and "how" are 2 very different things. As a tech you're not *above* the musician - but there to serve him and his needs.

For which are getting paid.

I thought Norbert's offer was quite kind, actually. I even tried to PM him, but his inbox was full . And I'm 99% sure he would recommend the tech I have in mind for the job anyway.

You are very welcome. Depending on needs and preferences, I usually recommend several.

I would even recommed our friend Ed.

Except I don't know the man, don't know his work and and don't know if he has a work permit for Canada.

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 03/14/13 01:44 AM.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LadyChen
I bought a freakin' grand piano! yay!

I won't believe it until I see pictures. But, in anticipation of said pictures, congratulations! smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission