2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi all,

I am new to this site and new to playing piano. I always wanted to learn how to play the piano, and now at age 20 I am trying to make my dream a reality. But as the title states, I would like to play a song for my Dad who is dying of cancer. He has been battling it for most of my life, but now I'm afraid he is too weak to fight it anymore. I live with him at home as he spends his final days, the doctors think he only has a year or so left to live. I want to play and sing a song for him, I'm sure it would make him smile. I was searching on youtube for songs I could possibly play and sing along to, and I found the perfect one. It is a jazzy version of "Folsom Prison Blues" by Kristy Kruger. I know my Dad will love it, it is one of his favorite songs, and he loves jazz. I also sound a lot like Kristy Kruger, so singing it will be no problem. The problem is that there is no sheet music on this version of the song. I have been trying to figure out the chords, but I'm afraid I am not very good at this. I think she is playing it in a-minor, but then it sounds like she changed something during the song. The song itself does not seem that hard to play, if I just knew the notes or the chords. Can someone please help me figure out the chords/notes, I would really appreciate it. I don't know anyone who plays the piano, this is my last option. I really want to do this for my Dad, it would be great to see him smile again. Here is the link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh6m-iwux8I Thank you all very much!

Peace and love,

Linda

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hi Linda, very sorry to hear about your dad - it would be nice if you can pull this off...it's not too difficult if you've got some basic 'natural' ability, if you know what I mean.

She's playing basic 12-bar but in a minor key so that's

¦Fm / / / ¦Fm / / / ¦Fm / / / ¦Fm Gm Ab Bdim¦
¦Bbm / / /¦Bbm / / /¦Fm / / / ¦Fm / / / ¦
¦C / / / ¦Db / [C-Bb-Ab-G]¦Fm / / / ¦Fm / / / ¦

The [C-Bb-Ab-G] in bar 10 is just root notes in octaves, not chords - feel free to ask if something needs clarifying.

The metronome count here is slow. Each beat is a left hand bass note followed by a right hand chord although she later brings in a little skip (when she says "I like that")in the right hand which you could look at later once you've got the simple rhythm under your hands.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Linda.

I wish you and your Dad the best. Dire Tonic has given you a good start.

BTW. It's a great version of the song. (I might have a go at it myself)

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Linda. I too wish the best for your dad. I tried to help by listening to this tune and playing it by ear (which I did), but realized very quickly that this tune is not about any specific melody. Instead, it is primarily comprised of a sassy beat with a whole lot of soulful singing.

This tune does not depend on the piano melodies but rather the soulful singing and input of the performer.

Simply performing this tune and singing it for him will mean so much more than any specific fingering of the basic 'beat' melody.

I would suggest spending only a few minutes figuring out the basic melody and rhythm of the tune because the success of this tune will depend entirely on the emotional input of the performer. You see, nobody will be able to sing this piece more beautifully to your dads ears than you will. This is why your performance of this piece will be nicer than anything else he has ever heard.

You can do it. He will absolutely love it too.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Hi Linda. I too wish the best for your dad. I tried to help by listening to this tune and playing it by ear (which I did), but realized very quickly that this tune is not about any specific melody. Instead, it is primarily comprised of a sassy beat with a whole lot of soulful singing.

This tune does not depend on the piano melodies but rather the soulful singing and input of the performer.

Simply performing this tune and singing it for him will mean so much more than any specific fingering of the basic 'beat' melody.

I would suggest spending only a few minutes figuring out the basic melody and rhythm of the tune because the success of this tune will depend entirely on the emotional input of the performer. You see, nobody will be able to sing this piece more beautifully to your dads ears than you will. This is why your performance of this piece will be nicer than anything else he has ever heard.

You can do it. He will absolutely love it too.

a very nice 4000th post

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
It doesn't help that the vocals are so much higher in the mix than the piano. Let us know if dire tonic's chords aren't enough, or if you're struggling through a part of it. Once you get the hang of the feel, it should get easier.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you all very much for the help and the support. I think I am getting the hang of it, you guys are amazing!

Love and Peace,

Linda

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission