2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I would expect a high degree of enthusiam on the launch of the 5S once it starts shipping. Mike did a lot of hands on-blogs and workshops with the XW-P1 when it launched. I think the 5S breaks new ground. The new sound chip seems highly capable of breaking new ground with its sounds. I don't think their product line has been this appealing since the ZPI days which this is light years ahead of based on what I've heard so far.

I've got a lot of travel coming up over the next two months and I'll have a PX-5S with me for most of it. I'll get a list of where I'll be posted soon. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you in person.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I had a 20% MF coupon and would have preoordered one (still will do it later).

Could you tell us how many acoustic piano programs it has? One of the aspects that seems nice is the fact that there is a 4 band eq-

I had a Yamaha P50M piano module from 1996-2010; it was fantastic it had this. Also, the Korg SG Prox had one.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Shameless bump, but this was pretty fun. My iPod decided to play this song yesterday so I had to give it a try on the PX-5S.

Pink Floyd's On the Run. One Arpeggiator is in use for the main note pattern and simultaneously doing the hi-hat on the same zone, nothing else is sequenced. This is two zones on the PX-5S with different elements on different keys. All sounds are raw waveforms with pink noise used for the high hats and mixed in with the "helicopter".

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/on-the-run

Not bad for a "piano". wink

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Gosh, you've recreated it so well! shocked

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
T
T
Good job Mike! If you can do a version of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' that's just as good, I'll take a PX-5S!

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
I'm in, for sure. I have sold my trusty Roland/Mackie/KRK/studio rig, and the PX-5S is going aboard. Looking forward to placing the order!

Thanks for all you've done with the community, Mike.

Steve

Aboard Datawake in the San Juan Islands
(with boat piano)
Nomadic Research Labs
Originally Posted by thomsurf
Good job Mike! If you can do a version of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' that's just as good, I'll take a PX-5S!

Just piano and organ on that song....

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
If this piano is as great as it is, should it not be selling for $1500? Or even $2000? Or more? You don't want Casio to be selling itself short if it puts out a great product.

Casio Privia PX-150

@Mike Martin,
Just curious, with what i'm sure are countless hours of fine tuning the sound i was wondering if you and/or your team gravitated towards any one specific set of speakers that you feel brings out the best in the PX-5S, more specifically for in home or studio use?
Thanks, Duke

P.S. Love the sound clips posted in soundcloud would love to hear some electronic/house clips smile

During the process I switched back and forth between two brands of headphones and two sets of monitor speakers.

The speakers that you're listening can have dramatic effect when you're doing sound design mainly if you're not used to what the speakers sound like.

As an example at NAMM the PX-5S was running through a QSC system with K10s and subs. We made tweaks during the show until we got used to how the sounds were responding to in the sound system.

Twice during the show, Joe Sample played the PX-5S at a different location in the booth. Same type of sound system but very different speaker and sub placement. The subs were way too loud. Listen to the Joe Sample Wurly recording, you'll notice that it sounds thin and has no body. That's because there was way too much bass so we just rolled the low end out using the PX-5S EQ. It sounded great there, but the recording is not so good.

There are so many studio monitors these days. There are some great ones...of course you can spend more the price of the PX-5S on monitors. Which ones should you use??This is like saying which DAW should you use. I'd say, the one you're most used to.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 03/01/13 06:31 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't think they cost as much to build as you might think. But Casio is smart in that they spread their cost over many models and are able to offer them at lower price points because of this. If you look at the Privia line only, they use the same basic hardware like the keybed, samples, and sound chip in all their models. The differences are in the extras each model has. Most companies know how many units they need to sell to recoup their cost. Once they hit this number, the rest is profit.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 03/01/13 06:43 PM.
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by adak
If this piano is as great as it is, should it not be selling for $1500? Or even $2000? Or more? You don't want Casio to be selling itself short if it puts out a great product.

@adak - Don't give them ideas like this. Yeesh! It's not a $2K slab. $2K will buy a slab with escapement feel, 3-pedal support with partial pedaling, non-looped synthesized piano decay, multiple sampled pianos, 900+ quality sounds, in a sleek non-controversial case, etc. Anyways, the PX-5S will make an excellent $999 product, but I'm looking towards the PX-850 myself. Shame it doesn't have some of the PX-350's goodies, because there's no way I'm shelling out for an AP-650 without a massively serious discount.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I'm not so sure you will find all of the features you mentioned even in a $2000 board.

Originally Posted by Michael H
Does anyone know if it will be possible to get higher levels of reverb than on the PX150/350's?

Yes:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/px-5s-reverbed-piano

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Cool.

Repeated question:
can we have a 'normal' (no big verb) AP fragment as well, whenever you find the time ? Still curious about the dry AP sound in different styles (classic fast passages, classic slow passages, few jazz fragments - some nice pedaling techniques).

It is supposed to have the better incarnation of the AP Air engine, with full resonance effects etc. And perhaps some new tweaks to the piano presets. Wonder what it sounds like (solo)...it's still a stage 'piano' after all, despite all the extra new features and sounds.

Thanks.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JFP
Cool.

Repeated question:
can we have a 'normal' (no big verb) AP fragment as well, whenever you find the time ? Still curious about the dry AP sound in different styles (classic fast passages, classic slow passages, few jazz fragments - some nice pedaling techniques).

It is supposed to have the better incarnation of the AP Air engine, with full resonance effects etc. And perhaps some new tweaks to the piano presets. Wonder what it sounds like (solo)...it's still a stage 'piano' after all, despite all the extra new features and sounds.

Thanks.

Any piano without half pedalling is going to struggle, IMO. That was such a huge disappointment for me. My check was practically in the mail until I read that it still uses the old on/off pedal. I find it utterly baffling when all the other Privias have half pedalling. Why Casio? Why?!

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
OK , forget the pedaling part. Just give us some nice AP demos in different styles.

Shame about the half pedal. Put my thoughts about that in the other thread...

We are at SXSW this week. Although a little primitive using a webcam we'll be streaming live from the Music Expo today and tomorrow from 12:00pm to 6:00pm Central. We did it yesterday and from what I understand the audio quality was decent. So if you have questions or these is something you'd like to hear, join the chat and type away.

http://www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
W
W
This is really worth watching if you can as it shows the flexibility of the instrument.

Mike Martin does a great job of demoing the instrument.

willf
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission