2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Funky Dave
... not including a MIDI in socket

No MIDI in socket? It has a USB connector, and I am pretty sure that this is good for MIDI in.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe they were finally able to knock a bit of sense into their dopy joystick real estate department, but too late to actually put something useful (like, oh I don't know, keys maybe?) down there instead.

I like the bass end like a real piano, needs 76 keys though.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I agree that controls on the left eliminates some of the "advantage" of having a 64-key weighted board, but it was presumably pre-determined by the design of the A-88 from which it looks to have been physically derived.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by dewster
Maybe they were finally able to knock a bit of sense into their dopy joystick real estate department, but too late to actually put something useful (like, oh I don't know, keys maybe?) down there instead.

I like the bass end like a real piano, needs 76 keys though.

Roland's controller setups are some of the best I've used. These aren't really being built with the piano player in mind. They are geared toward keyboard players who need the controls to be in a practical place that is accessible while playing. I don't like it when modulation controls are placed on top of the keybed.

Last edited by Hideki Matsui; 01/21/13 03:24 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I agree that controls on the left eliminates some of the "advantage" of having a 64-key weighted board, but it was presumably pre-determined by the design of the A-88 from which it looks to have been physically derived.

If that's right (as it seems to be), the elimination of 14 white keys from the A-88 chassis should make the width of this new Roland about 44 inches. Here are the specs on the A-88:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A88

By contrast, the width of the NP-11 is about 41 inches:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NP11

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
N
N
I can see one of these on the bottom tier, with the new VR-09 organ on the top tier being a popular gigging rig. Between the two of them you have all the bread and butter requirements for a cover band.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
+1

B
B
Sixty four keys with A at the bottom? I think I can see why. Hit the octave shift button on the panel and you have the same familiar array as on a piano. The lowest C, Eflat , G are right where you expect them to be.

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
Interesting product; but being longer than necessary and thus exceeding the ATA limit of 62 inches (when put into a travel case), as well as starting on A instead of F, make this a deal-breaker for me.

I am on my third Roland (FP-7F), and would really love to see them make a truly travel-friendly keyboard with weighted keys and a classically oriented 5-octave compass (F-F). If they had repositioned the controls to the top, they could have accommodated a few more keys (F-C, 68 keys) and still keep it short enough to fit into an ATA case smaller than 62 total inches.

Guess I'll keep wishing.

NY Steinway A 2005; Roland FP-7F/ FP-4
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Bob M
Sixty four keys with A at the bottom? I think I can see why. Hit the octave shift button on the panel and you have the same familiar array as on a piano. The lowest C, Eflat , G are right where you expect them to be.

Yes, with octave shift, at the bottom, it exactly matches the bottom of a piano (A), and at the top, it exactly matches the top of a piano (C). It's also the same span as the Wurlitzer electric piano. The 76 (+1) key VAX is also basically A to C. It means that every note of the piano's 88 is available within two octave settings. Any other set of 76 notes would require three settings to cover all 88 keys. Likewise with the Roland, you can go up or down an octave from standard, and reach all 88 notes. Anything other than A-to-C, you would need a fourth octave setting to reach the last notes.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Makes perfect sense when you put It like that

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ctnski
Interesting product; but being longer than necessary and thus exceeding the ATA limit of 62 inches (when put into a travel case

This is the problem, again and again.

Originally Posted by theJourney
Interesting product; but being longer than necessary and thus exceeding the ATA limit of 62 inches (when put into a travel case

Needn't be so.

Can it really be so difficult to make a shorter version of an FP-7F, with keys running out to both ends and controls at the top?

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs, less than 40 lbs. in its case, and would be the only product on the market that could be advertised as a travel-friendly piano.

Even better, design a dedicated case that could easily be converted into a stand, flip it over and set the piano on top and design some retractable legs into the case. Make the whole package under 50 lbs. and 62 inches. Sell a bunch, I just know you would.

I keep hoping.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

Needn't be so.

Can it really be so difficult to make a shorter version of an FP-7F, with keys running out to both ends and controls at the top?

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs, less than 40 lbs. in its case, and would be the only product on the market that could be advertised as a travel-friendly piano.

Even better, design a dedicated case that could easily be converted into a stand, flip it over and set the piano on top and design some retractable legs into the case. Make the whole package under 50 lbs. and 62 inches. Sell a bunch, I just know you would.

I keep hoping.

I can guarantee that you'd sell at least one!

On the ATA issue, I believe this Roland fits into some hardshell cases designed for 61-key controllers. I do not know whether those cases meet the ATA standards.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 03/09/13 09:29 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
I own just such a case, an SKB hardshell with wheels, designed for 61-key controllers. Unfortunately, it measures 45 x 18 x 7, for a total of 70 inches.

Again, one only needs to start with a case of maximum dimensions, then design the keyboard with maximum number of keys to fit in said case. Elementary.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Even better, build the DP into the flight case. They used to do this sort of thing, not sure why they don't anymore - like everything else DP I suppose it makes too much sense.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

This is how you do it: start with a 62-inch travel case (say, 44 x 12 x 6) and design a keyboard with as many keys as will fit into it. Make it as high quality as the full-size boards, with weighted keys and great piano sounds. It would weigh about 25 lbs

A short version of an FP-74 still wouldn't weight 25 lbs. At 88 keys, its 53 pounds. So you'd probably have to get down to around a minuscule 44 keys to get to that 25 lb range. But as for lighter weight boards, it is a shame that they built the RD-64 around the A-88 foundation (with controls on the left) instead of the FP-4F foundation (with controls behind). But in terms of re-purposing existing designs, functionally/electronically, the A-88 had the controller functionality, so you can see where that choice came from. So I guess then the argument could be made that, even for the A-88, they should have designed it with the controls behind. After all, that board is arguably annoyingly long for what it is as well! Maybe for some reason, it was just cheaper to manufacture that way, with a short control panel to the left of the keys instead of a long narrow control panel behind.

I agree with all of that. The shorter 'board should be a shortened FP-4, not an FP-7. Whatever the rationale for putting the controls to the left, doing so lost them at least one sale.

Dewster, making the keyboard integral with the case would be a great way to maximize its size. Just want it to include some fold-down legs so the whole thing is a usable package. No use having a travel piano if you have no stand to set it up on.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by anotherscott
...that board is arguably annoyingly long for what it is as well! Maybe for some reason, it was just cheaper to manufacture that way, with a short control panel to the left of the keys instead of a long narrow control panel behind.

Yes. There seems to be a lot of that going around: forget what consumers' needs are, just build it at the highest possible profit margin.

+1

One small step in the right direction is the announcement of the Studiologic Acuna73. But not in the same league (2 sensor controller only; TP100 Fatar keybed with a little short keys).
But very light, seems right priced and focused on an interface as a control device right. (But not generic, iPad support only).already on sale (in Italy)?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission