2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, 65 has to be assembled, what makes it easier to be lifted 3 floors.
95 is just one piece, right?
But the measures should be similar, it's a palet.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Thank you very much for the answers smile I guess I will have to stay with the VPC1 then, it will be much easier (when moving in, a lot of my furniture had to come through the windows but it's a fairly expensive procedure).
Not a big problem I guess since I already own a copy of the American Concert D and I would have to use a headphone most of the time. It was more about the action, but I guess, quality wise, they are very similar anyway.

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
C
C
Thanks a lot for your effort, James. smile

@all: Well, considering that the CA-95 is a cabinet piano, the box will be taller but not too wide. It should be fairly well manipulable unless one's dealing with a really confined space.

Last edited by Clayman; 03/08/13 09:56 AM.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
S
S
@Jean-Luc: it's actually pretty simple: look up the outside dimensions of the CA95 cabinet. There's no need to transport the DP with the surrounding package upstairs. You can take off the packaging downstairs and just take the piano upstairs.

Kawai CA65
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, and pray your favourite one.
I'd do whay Stephan advises only if it was a fridge or a washing machine. But a wooden brand new CA95...no thanks.
I'd definitely buy a stage piano in that situation.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good morning chaps,

I can confirm that the dimensions of the CA95 shipping box are as follows:

1583 (W) × 598 (D) × 975 (H) (mm)

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Sounds good, James. I shouldn't have any trouble getting that baby up to my flat.

Thanks a bunch again for your effort. smile

-- Zbynek N.

Thank you very much James, I will have to take some measurements in my stairs (what worries me actually are the bends smile I really don't feel like carrying it up without the protection of the shipping box.

Jean-Luc
Jeal-Luc, it goes without saying that the box is *very* heavy.

When transporting boxes for photography shoots, it's usually a four man job.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I would either negotiate free delivery and placement from a local retailer or else hire a stair-elevator or crane and bring it in through a window. The CA95 has the dimensions and mass of a lightweight piano. Getting stuck in the stairway with three of your best friends sounds like a nightmare start to owning a new instrument.

K
Kenny J Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Best to let the professionals do it. It cost me $85 to have it delivered and setup. No worries. That's what I recommend.

Kenny J

Arabesque No. 1 - Debussy
Dr. Gradus Ad Parnassum - Debussy
Live and Let Die - McCartney
Maple Leaf Rag - Scott Joplin
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kenny J
Best to let the professionals do it. It cost me $85 to have it delivered and setup. No worries. That's what I recommend.

Word of Wisdom.

When my daughter was a young girl, I used to tell her that my litmus test for whether I would "allow" her to participate in various activities was trying to judge my level of embarrassment and/or humiliation if things went badly and the public would find out that I, as the parent, had "allowed" it.

I would use the same litmus test for something like this. Suppose I had paid $2500 for this musical instrument and then had tried to get it up the stairs on the cheap and had a problem and wrecked it. That would be too embarassing for me to endure. So, I have a professional mover do it. Simple.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Well, I wasn't planning on doing it by myself. But usually I buy from Thomann, and it would be pretty stupid to order it just to discover there is just no way to get it in my flat :P

This being said, while the C95 is a beautiful piano, in my case it would not be a smart choice. I already have a very good software piano and I can most of the time only listen with a headphone so, since I guess both action are very similar, it's probably a lot smarter for me to get a VPC1. I guess, I was simply very attracted by the beauty of the instrument and the idea of a "real" piano in the room. (to be honest, I was even more in lover with the CS9 and it probably has an even scarier box wink )

Jean-Luc
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
I guess, I was simply very attracted by the beauty of the instrument and the idea of a "real" piano in the room. (to be honest, I was even more in lover with the CS9 and it probably has an even scarier box wink )

What about the CS-10? It looks amazing but the price tag must be astronomical too... However, in your case it seems much smarter to go with the VPC1 and to use the software piano that you have already.

Last edited by Amaruk; 03/12/13 07:39 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
What about the ES7.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EPW
What about the ES7.

That is what I would vote for.

I would not like the idea of needing to hook into computer software sounds all of the time.

Not to mention that I think the ES7 sound is terrific on its own.

The keybed on the ES7 is also excellent.

If the main attractiveness to the VPC1 is the built-in velocity curves, I would suggest that they main turn out to be mostly hype without any real noticeable value over the velocity curves within the piano software itself.

I may be wrong about that but until I hear convincing testimony, it will remain my position on that.

And, the ES7 has a furniture stand option which, in my opinion, looks better than some sort of X stand or something else and also more stable.

To me, it would be an easy decision between the VPC1 and the ES7.

Last edited by dmd; 03/12/13 09:18 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
Well, I wasn't planning on doing it by myself. But usually I buy from Thomann, and it would be pretty stupid to order it just to discover there is just no way to get it in my flat :P

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de. Advantage was lower price than local dealer plus ability to pay with Amex to get additional warranty coverage and airmiles further reducing the net price paid.

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone. I recruited a neighbor to move the heavy but manageable boxes up two flights of stairs. Actually assembled the thing myself (but I recommend that you have a partner for that as well, 'bout gave myself a hernia). I can imagine that in the tinier, more winding staircases in the centrum that the boxes would have had to have been held more upright, but it would have been possible getting them in through the staircase.

The new Roland HP-507 is an amazing instrument with the PHA-III keyboard & Supernatural sound and new features that make sense like early fortepiano sounds for baroque early classical playing, automatic power off in case you close the lid without powering off first and very easy USB integration to make playing along with your favorite minus 1 tracks a pleasure, etc. etc.

I would not consider buying an RM3 or GF Kaway keyboard from thomann or another online dealer due to the fact that there seems to be a very high chance that you will need maintenance support requiring you to send the instrument back rather than just calling the local dealer and making them deal with the problem. The Roland keyboards seem to be designed to stay aligned and regulated and able to be transported without damage.

C
C
Originally Posted by theJourney

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de.

<snip/>

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone.

<snip/>

I, too, am thinking about ordering the CA-95 from thomann.de, but I was sort of hoping the delivery would be done straight to my flat. smile Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to get hold of a few people willing to flex their muscles for a bit.

-- Zbynek N.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Clayman
Originally Posted by theJourney

I bought my Roland HP-307 from thomann.de.

<snip/>

It was delivered by a freight consolidator forwarder and left in two boxes strapped to a pallet on the sidewalk in front of our brownstone.

<snip/>

I, too, am thinking about ordering the CA-95 from thomann.de, but I was sort of hoping the delivery would be done straight to my flat. smile Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to get hold of a few people willing to flex their muscles for a bit.

I wouldn't even consider ordering a CA-95 from thomann.de unless you live on the ground floor with no staircase. It cannot be disassembled and so is as bulky as a real piano. Plus, if and when your maintenance sensitive, transport damaged wooden keyboard doesn't work properly after delivery, you will be responsible for boxing it the whole piano again, strapping it using professional equipment on a shipping pallet, contacting a freight forwarder and sending it back to Germany....

C
C
Well, it is bulky but not nearly as heavy as an acoustic upright. I'll have to think about it some more, I guess, but thomann really seems like the best choice since stores that can supply this model are few and far between around here.

Thanks for your insight, theJourney.

-- Zbynek N.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission