2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2044649 03/07/13 06:07 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi all,
Just two weeks ago I decided to put to some use the keyboard my daughter received in her birthday in June. I read much of the theory, and I think I understand it well enough. My goal for now is just to play some pop songs to sing along. I started with Let It Be and Imagine, and I am having fun smile
Anyway, my biggest issue now is to do the chords with the right hand with the standard fingering (curiously it is easier with the left hand). For instance, when I play a C major chord with all fingers at the same time, it is much easier to use fingers 1, 2 and 4 or 1, 2 and 5 than to use fingers 1, 3 and 5. And when I play only the two higher notes (and then the root note with the thumb) it is even harder to use fingers 3 and 5 alone (the ring finger begs to go down together).
I think it is something I could exercise, but it is not so fun wink Can I live with a non-standard fingering, provided I am consistent, or will it hinder me to play more complex songs? What if I get really hooked and decide to play “serious” piano (classical, jazz, etc), will I regret to relax by now?
Thanks a lot.

P
P
I think fingering can be a personal thing - hand shapes, dexterity, etc. and I think you can probably get away with it a lot of the time. In my (limited) experience however, I've found that sticking to the designated "official" fingering can sometime lead to an "aha" moment. That is, you suddenly realise the reason for using a particular (perhaps tricky) fingering was to get the hand set for the next note/chord. If you've gone for individualised fingering, you might have to do that sort of work yourself.

Kawai MP7, Roland JUNO DS-88

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Since you are using a non-standard fingering (1,2,4), you should probably try the (1,3,5) fingering periodically just to help with the dexterity of things. I doubt if using 1,2,4 will cause you any serious issues "down the road". As you progress, deciding which fingers to use becomes less conventional and more a function of which ones work more smoothly for a given passage.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2044669 03/07/13 06:44 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you all.
I asked because I started playing tennis before taking lessons and I regret it today. But I will take the suggestion of trying to use the standard fingering now and then, with time it may became less awkward.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You should experiment with all fingerings, since you will have to use everything at some point. Even things like 1-2-3 or 2-4-5 can be necessary depending on what notes come before or after.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
S
Originally Posted by Franklin Lautert
Hi all,
Just two weeks ago I decided to put to some use the keyboard my daughter received in her birthday in June. I read much of the theory, and I think I understand it well enough. My goal for now is just to play some pop songs to sing along. I started with Let It Be and Imagine, and I am having fun smile
Anyway, my biggest issue now is to do the chords with the right hand with the standard fingering (curiously it is easier with the left hand). For instance, when I play a C major chord with all fingers at the same time, it is much easier to use fingers 1, 2 and 4 or 1, 2 and 5 than to use fingers 1, 3 and 5. And when I play only the two higher notes (and then the root note with the thumb) it is even harder to use fingers 3 and 5 alone (the ring finger begs to go down together).
I think it is something I could exercise, but it is not so fun wink Can I live with a non-standard fingering, provided I am consistent, or will it hinder me to play more complex songs? What if I get really hooked and decide to play “serious” piano (classical, jazz, etc), will I regret to relax by now?
Thanks a lot.

In general basic triad fingering is usually 1-3-5 although there are always variations depending on certain musical situations. I would recommend you get comfortable with that 1-3-5 shape though. This will be very helpful as you progress and you play pieces that will have your hands in the basic 5 finger position.

On a higher level of thinking fingering decisions really should be based off of where you're going to next in the piece. Whatever fingering you use should set you up for a smooth transition into your next notes.

My guess is that the reason why 1-2-5 feels most comfortable is because you're 3rd finger is very flat. Make sure it has a proper curl and that should help

Actually, the 4 is the weakest finger of the hand. So, I always use all other available fingers. If you get into the habit of playing triads with 1-2-5 or 1-3-5 this will make it harder to get used to playing 7th chords. If you're playing a triad, you should still have your 5 available to turn it into a 7th (or 6th) chord. Therefore, I play my triads 1-2-3. And half the time I do add a fourth note.....because I can, since my 5 finger was available. Don't make one of your own fingers unavailable to play a better chord!

Infinity
Pianist and Teacher
West Orange, NJ
www.pianolessonsnj.com

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission