2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
just picked up my P155 thanks to the suggestions from this forum and i'm very happy with it! now i'm looking for a good headphone in the sub $200 range. i've been reading positive things here about the HD598 which runs for about $225 on amazon.

i'm very new to digital pianos and have never had a high quality headphones so i'm looking for recommendations. i also don't have a way to test it so i'll be buying sight unseen.

i'll be playing the piano almost always with the headphones so i want something decent and durable. on the rare occasion that i might use them for listening to music it'll be classical stuff not hip hop or base heavy music.

thanks!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Sennheiser HD's are highly regarded around here

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The flatter response they have, the better for you.
There are some threads opened with the same subject.
If you can't test different models in the shops, you need to rely on objective meassurements. Try this and let me know if it helped: http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones.

For HD 598:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Sennheiser HD's are highly regarded around here

Dr Popper is right. i have the Sennheiser HD380 and I am extremely pleased with sound, comfort and quality. I paid $199, you can find many decent sets in that price range. However, headphones are personal thing. Sometimes I like to switch it up even with my Bose buds. Anyway, check out the link to see the HD380 if interested

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-headphones

-

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

With this model you'd have a more boomy bass and less trebble, nothing that some EQ can't solve, if you don't like it. But, again, none of those within your budget are completely flat, they all colour the sound, some way.

[Linked Image]

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I own several sets of headphones including the Sennheiser HD598.

I use them every day and especially like the fact that the cable can be easily replaced if it is ever damaged. I've lost count of the headphones I've owned that could not be easily repaired.

You'll be very happy with the sound of the HD598 though to be honest I wish the color scheme were different.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
OP Offline
Unfortunately I don't understand those graphs and some of the jargon used to describe sound like "coloration" since I'm new to this but I know I'd prefer less boomy and muffled sound. So the 598 would suite me better over the 380 according to the chart.

I've only been looking at sennheiser mainly since some people here with much more expensive pianos than mine use them. Are there any other brands worthy of consideration in my ~$200 range that aren't being mentioned?

Thanks smile

OP Offline
Hey Dave
You're one of those people I was talking about! I'm thinking if its good enough for the N3 it's good enough for me smile
Having never seen one in person I can't tell how durable they are and how long it might last. I have to replace my iPhone earbuds 2-3 times a year curtesy of AppleCare so I hope these hold up better. I'm also very sensitive to hissing or extra noises and hope to avoid all that with these.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianomanvan
Hey Dave
You're one of those people I was talking about! I'm thinking if its good enough for the N3 it's good enough for me smile
Having never seen one in person I can't tell how durable they are and how long it might last. I have to replace my iPhone earbuds 2-3 times a year curtesy of AppleCare so I hope these hold up better. I'm also very sensitive to hissing or extra noises and hope to avoid all that with these.

The HD 598 are open headphones so you're not blocking out the rest of the world and some sound will leak out as well. For me they seem perfectly natural and I forget I'm wearing headphones.

They seem very well made and for me the fact that the cable can be easily replaced is a plus.

As always, know what the return policy is in case you're not happy with them or if the output of the piano is not sufficient.

Headphones are passive (at least the ones that don't use a power source), any hissing you hear will come from the source you're connected to.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianomanvan
Unfortunately I don't understand those graphs and some of the jargon used to describe sound like "coloration" since I'm new to this but I know I'd prefer less boomy and muffled sound. So the 598 would suite me better over the 380 according to the chart.

I've only been looking at sennheiser mainly since some people here with much more expensive pianos than mine use them. Are there any other brands worthy of consideration in my ~$200 range that aren't being mentioned?

Thanks smile

Those graphs are not that difficult, specially if you read what they mean, which is just in the same page. Basically, left part of the graph is for the bass range, center for the middles and right one, for the trebble. Bolded or shaded areas are out of common perception so they are meaningless.
Green line, as said, is the tester's target, his ideal, and red and blue lines are the actual headphone performance through a test.
Besides, I posted there another table where you could see how boomy, muddy or whatever they are, is it jargon too?
Believe me, you'll save lots of money by spending a little time trying to understand those graphics and reading about details, specially for detachable/replaceable wires, as it has already been said.
The fact that someone with a more expensive piano is happy with his set of cans doesn't imply it will suit yours. Why should it be that way?
Now, a practical example: I own a DP that sounded harsh with a Sennheisser HD 205 (entry level) 'cause these cans rise mids and highs too much. Now I use HD 518 (100$ or less) and the same piano sounds waaaaaaaay more mellow...though it has lost some of its desirable brilliance, or realism, which apparently depends on how those highs sound.
There are more sites whith available graphics, and they all work the same way: there is a narrow space that you could call flat sound, but even in that case it's not completely flat and the response is not the same for every frequency, so some cans can be great for bass but too muddy for mids, or cause hissing when you play forte and the timbre changes.

Ite, misa est.

Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
T
T
I've been reading about headphones lately without actually buying them. (And realizing that before I invest in really good headphones I should probably re-load all of my CDs at a higher bitrate AAC.) I can throw out a couple of popular recommendations (via head-fi.org mainly) but first I have a question.

The headphones below are low-impedance headphones (25 or 30 ohms). The HD598s mentioned earlier are high-impedance (300 ohm). Low impedance headphones are designed for consumer products like phones and will easily be loud enough (or even too loud) from any source, but high-impedance headphones are designed for professional equipment and may not get loud enough from a low-power source. So is a DP headphone jack more like a studio headphone jack or a consumer product? Or does it depend on the piano?

So how standard are headphone jacks on DPs, and what sort of experience have people had with high and low impedance headphones on them?

Anyway, based on what I've read, these would be two really good choices in your price range, offering two different styles of headphone. But these are low-impedance headphones, so maybe wait to see what people say about that.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones are a widely recommended headphone in your price range. They're closed circum-aural (they surround the ear rather than sitting on top of it). They've been popular for a long time.

V-Moda Crossfade M-80 is also very popular. They're describes as semi-closed or semi-open. And they're supra-aural (they sit on the ear). So they're a little smaller overall. I noticed they were on sale right now at GameStop for $170.

And there's plenty of others. There's an interesting thread over at head-fi.org where one guy has reviewed over a hundred different headphones. It's just one opinion, but someone with a lot of experience, and you can then look at discussions of individual headphones to see what people are saying.

tom

Last edited by Tom Fine; 03/07/13 05:18 PM.
R
R
FWIW, I love my Sony MDR-V6 headphones. They're very durable, comfortable and with a nice long 10ft (coiled) cord. Works great plugged into my PX150.

These are sealed headphones, so you might upset your significant other if they're trying to get your attention smile

The only `negative` for me was that the pads wore pretty fast (6 months). But that's easily fixed with a replacement pair. I'm using the Pearstone Deluxe Earpads now, and they're VERY comfy velour.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GC7YJ2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Casio PX-150
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got the HD598 a few weeks ago. I am very happy with them. They are extremely comfortable! I might get a second pair one day as my wife loves them too.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
P
P
I use AKG K271 MKII.
So far I am happy with them.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tom Fine
The HD598s mentioned earlier are high-impedance (300 ohm). Low impedance headphones are designed for consumer products like phones and will easily be loud enough (or even too loud) from any source, but high-impedance headphones are designed for professional equipment and may not get loud enough from a low-power source. So is a DP headphone jack more like a studio headphone jack or a consumer product? Or does it depend on the piano?

Actually the HD598's have an impedance of 50 ohms. They are relatively easy to drive and do well with DP headphone jacks (I have the 595's, which are the same except for the colors). These sennheisers are unbelievably comfortable, lightweight, and realistic. Incredible soundstage. Weaknesses? They are a bit light on the bass.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones are a widely recommended headphone in your price range. They're closed circum-aural (they surround the ear rather than sitting on top of it). They've been popular for a long time.

I also own these cans. In my opinion they are markedly inferior to the sennheisers (much cheaper, though). The isolation is very good and the sound is tolerable. At present I use them in my office to block out my noisy coworkers.

Based on my experience, open headphones sound ever so much better. Though isolation is nice to have. The air conditioner, the sound of the thumping keys, kids in the next room, the whirr of your computer if you have one. All these things can get real annoying.

So pick your poison. I personally go with the open cans.

Last edited by gvfarns; 03/07/13 08:58 PM.
A
A
so some cans can be great for bass but too muddy for mids, or cause hissing when you play forte and the timbre changes.

OP Offline
the world of headphones is ridiculously complicated and i'm a pretty educated guy! the more i'm digging into the reviews the harder the decision gets smile

so far i've narrowed down my requirements to price max $200, detachable cable, no external amp requirement, positive durability reviews and open though not sure why. maybe someone can tell me why open is so much better than closed. i live in a noisy area with constant sirens and banging from neighbours so initially i wanted closed ones until everyone said open gets better sound.

the senn 5xx series (still my first choice right now) seem to have a widely reported issue with cracking since they're made of plastic see:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534963/sennheiser-hd-598-starting-to-crack/30

the sony ones mentioned above look interesting cause they're so cheap around $70 but they're closed. still an option though at that price. same with the audio technica one at around $115

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
My advice is not to stress the detachable cable thing. That requirement drops out a lot of really good headphones. And really, I don't see why it's such a big deal. The way to make stuff last (in my opinion) is to take care of it, not to buy stuff made only of adamantium.

I'm actually not surprised to see those cracked senns. It's a very lightweight pair of headphones. Again, no need to be stepping on them or banging them around. Comparing it to the ATH's that were mentioned here there are a few comfort factors:

1. The senns seem to weigh much, much less. Like a couple of feathers on your head.

2. The senns don't squeeze you. The ATH's seem comfy at first, but they sqush my head after a while.

3. The senns have some kind of velvet in contact with your skin, which doesn't get sweaty like the ATH faux leather.

4. The senns seem to actually let air in. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it never seems to get hot under here.

Having said that, household noises drive me absolutely crazy when I'm using the sennheisers. I get all OCD about quieting down my room and it makes my wife grumpy. If there's a lot of noise in the room you might be tempted to turn them up, which will sound great until you lose your hearing.

As for open vs. closed, I don't know the technical reason for it, but open headphones feel to me like the music is in the room--actually they sound like you are in the room where the music was recorded. You can close your eyes and practically fool yourself into thinking you are there. Closed headphones sound good too, but the sound is definitely coming from the cans and that impression doesn't go away. As much as I enjoy them, I never feel like I'm there.

Ok so now that I've said a whole bunch about how magical open headphones are, let me say that it's not the be-all-and-end-all either. Any headphones that cost $150+ and are highly recommended are going to sound great, and that's what matters. The effect of open headphones is something I personally value, but I can easily imagine people thinking it's not that special. Also, the feeling of weak bass is pretty noticeable, particularly at low volumes. I think the bass leaks out the sides or something. Closed headphones almost never have that issue. People who love to listen to pop music tend to want serious thump and often don't love open headphones the way I do for that reason.

Lastly, the sennheisers are way overpriced. I bought mine for like half the price they sell for now not that long ago. I'm not sure if exchange rates are to blame or what, but they are gouging you. If you want to save some bucks, Sony and other brands make fine headphones as well even if they don't have the same cachet.

Last edited by gvfarns; 03/08/13 01:51 AM.
OP Offline
Those are very good points you made. Thank you! The senns are coming down on my list now. Living in this noisy apartment for 2 years has made me more and more sensitive to ambient noise of which there's a constant stream. Hospital and fire department across the street and train tracks 2 block over not for mention the neighbours on every side. I think I should forgo the benefits of open in favour of peace and quiet. If I keep the cost down like with the sony ones or similar I can get the senns as well down the road. Maybe one pair can't do everything.

OP Offline
So is a DP headphone jack more like a studio headphone jack or a consumer product? Or does it depend on the piano?

So how standard are headphone jacks on DPs, and what sort of experience have people had with high and low impedance headphones on them?

Tom,
Looks like people were trying to figure this out in another thread:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...dphone%20jack%20out%20impedance.%20.html

The 598 are at 50 so they work withhout an amp but the HD600 and 650 at 300 will need to be amped.

Also thanks for mentioning the audio technical. I'm looking into them now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission