2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,094 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 452 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 451 452
M
M
Hello everyone,

So, I recently started working with the famous Alfred books and worked my way up quite quickly. I'm now starting with the dreaded "Blow The Man Down" piece. HS a pretty easy piece, but hands combined...wow! Tough!

I think polishing up "Beautiful Brown Eyes" should be benificial, because of the odd RH/LH in both songs (measures 3,4, 11 and 12 in BBE).

So far I'm really enjoying the book. I remember browsing through the book when I just bought it and thought: this is impossible! The feeling you get when you can actually read and play those "impossible" looking pieces, it's just indescribable. My younger brother watched me practice today and he was in total awe and he wants to learn the piano too now. It feels great to inspire someone.

I'm looking forward to "Amazing Grace", "The Entertainer" and "Can Can", so much gems to be explored yet.

F
F
Originally Posted by scorpio

Clearly recording a piece changes the game (the red dot effect). I tried to be faithful with each one.

You are doing very well and fast. You did an hard work in learning and do the recordings. Here are my comments:

059 The Cuckoo.mp3
Nice played. Left hand level lower than right hand as it should be.

065 Beautiful Brown Eyes.mp3
Nice played. I like this piece. The D(RH) and D7(LH), in measure 13, is a little louder then the other notes. I noticed because sometimes I do the same.
Left hand level could be a little lower.

069 Alpine Melody.mp3
Nice played. Legato and timing seems ok to me.

073 Waltz Time.mp3
Nice played. Legato is ok. Dynamics (the level increase and descrease in measures 6 to 7, 14 to 15 is noticed. Dynamics in your recording souds better than in my recording. Dynamics are difficult for me.
Measure 14 (LH) is not legato, I do not notice well in your recording.

075 Happy Birthday to You.mp3
Nice played. Eigths seems ok to me. I also noticed the fermata.

077 Standing in the Need of Prayer.mp3
I like this piece. Nice played. timing seems ok to me. Dynamics can be improved.

082 Alouette.mp3
Nice played. Timing and dynamics are ok to me. Also legato and non-legato.

Originally Posted by BeccaBb
I'm officially no longer in level one. smile My teacher bumped up into level two! YAY! Good luck guys! I'll still pop in here once in awhile.

Congratulations BecaBb!

Welcome to all new students in this thread.

I finished "Greensleeves" and I am working in "Go Down, Moses".
I liked "Greensleves, sounds nice to me. "Go Down Moses" played with both hands is challeging me.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you fliper. I appreciate your comments.

I had a little set back. We recently had a blizzard and lost power for a few days. So I am working to get things back to normal. I did practice during the event!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Hey guys my Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book 1 arrived today. My wife is so excited at the prospect of me taking up to learn piano that I thought I'd treat her with my first lesson lol screeech aaah ... but hey it went pretty well and I went up to page 16 even though I was so tired I was falling asleep when I started. Then I thought of looking up the tunes to compare on you tube and I found the thread someone's posted earlier by typing in 'Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book' and then a 'p.' for page and then the page number and it all came forward. So I would play a page and then compare. The first few it took me to get the rhythm part right and then I was literally away finishing on Jingle bells on page 17. I played only looking at the notes, not at my hand. If I would forget after looking up, I would get right back in by looking at the notes on the page. I can't tell you how excited I am ... and of course my Mrs too ...

Last edited by Hawabaz; 02/13/13 08:12 PM.
Originally Posted by fliper
[quote=scorpio]

Welcome to all new students in this thread.

I finished "Greensleeves" and I am working in "Go Down, Moses".
I liked "Greensleves, sounds nice to me. "Go Down Moses" played with both hands is challeging me.

Hiya
Thanks for the welcome. I am very new to the forum and to learning piano. Can I also upload my exercises somewhere for someone to listen and comment on them like you did? That is very generous indeed.

Thinking of getting a Casio 150 or 350 to practice on by the way.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Hawabaz!

Recording your songs is a good way for you to listen to yourself and improve your play. Sometimes it is difficult to really hear yourself while working at the keyboard. But listening back aids in picking out issues with rhythm and dynamics. Also, getting a feedback from forum members is helpful as it keeps you on the path. For me, I appreciate every comment I receive.

You can sign up for a free account at https://www.box.com/. That is where you can upload your tunes to share with others. I have my link to the Alfred songs listed below.

Just so I am clear, which book do you have? I am working out of the Alfred Adult All-in-One Course Book 1. If you are using a different book, my page numbers will be different. For instance, in my book "Jingle Bells" is on page 30.

Best of luck on your journey.

[Linked Image]
Hey Scorpio ... thanks for replying.

I got my Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book Level 1
Jingle bells is on page 17. Should I get the all in one instead?

I am also using www.shawncheek.com lessons. Have looked at the first video ... but didn't do any exercises. but I am thinking of doing that too.

While using the book, the first note name would help me locate my first starting point today. Then I would be playing mostly by how the notes go up and down, sometimes reading/identifying them/their names. At this should I know every note by heart as I see it on the page instantly? eg if I see an 'A' on either clef and know it is that note as I play it everytime? Hope I make sense.

Thanks for the box link. Will check it out.
God help me when I start using my both hands together smile

Last edited by Hawabaz; 02/13/13 09:42 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hawabaz, Practice everyday. Be patient. Enjoy!

I don't think you need to purchase another book. There are enough examples here on this forum and on youtube to guide you initially. With the book I have, there was an included DVD that has been helpful.

Sight reading will come with practice. I found that with each passing day I became more familiar with the notes and keys and their relationship. This thread talks about sight reading, and has a handy little chart: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ght%20Reading%20Website.html#Post2019101

As I have read, and now experienced, don't force your practices. Take breaks, your brain needs it to figure it all out. I try to practice in short intervals throughout the day. I am lucky, my piano is in the same room that I work in.

If you keep at it, you will improve with each day (if you realize it or not). I am doing things after six weeks that I thought would take months.

One last thing, most of us on this thread are new players just like yourself. We can only share our experiences. By no means do I pretend to have the "right" answers. I have done a lot of research, that is just my nature. I am more than happy to share. pianoworld.com is a great resource, and appreciate it, with all its helpful members.

[Linked Image]
I totally agree about the breaks, it is like exercising and then returning next day with the muscle grown a bit. I have always experienced it with anything I have learned. Magically somehow it becomes part of consciousness.

Thanks for the link with the chart. Will definitely check it out.

The good part I discovered last night was that as I kept reading notes and playing by sight, I looooved it like a little kid.

F
F
Originally Posted by Hawabaz
Thinking of getting a Casio 150 or 350 to practice on by the way.

See this threads about digital pianos before choose your piano
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...al%20Pianos%20-%20Synths%20&%20.html

I have a Roland FP-7 with 2 Mackie MR-8 studio monitors and I am happy with them.

Thanks Fliper. Roland FP-7 is twice the price of Casio 350 though.

F
F
Hawabaz, see the threads about digital pianos before purchase.

P
P
Hi,

I've been playing for about a year now and have finished the book itself but am struggling with the main pieces at the end, notably "The Entertainer", "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". I've also worked on Grade 1 scales and broken chords and the first "Dozen a day" book.

Should I move on to book 2 or keep flogging away at the pieces? I can play them but only at very slow tempos without mistakes but have to admit I'm getting a little bored.

Any other suggestions on what to play/study would also be gratefully received.

Cheers!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Part1cle! Welcome to the forum.

I am a beginner myself and have not reached the point you are in the book so I don't have an answer for you. You may want to ask the same question in the Book #2 thread. Those guys have finished book one and would probably know better about where you should be and what direction you should take. They are just more experienced.

Good luck to you!

(I was in Watford years ago to see a football match, but unfortunately they were not playing the day I visited. I enjoyed my brief time that I was in town.)

[Linked Image]
P
P
Hi Scorpio,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'll give that a try, its a good idea. I should probably add myself to the list of Alfred's book 1 alumni too!

Spookily enough given your comment about Watford, I'm going to be out in Danbury in a weeks time so I'll be in your neighbourhood (well, state at least).

A
A
I skipped The Entertainer as soon as my teacher declared me finished with book one. Would have probably done my best on it a bit more if self-taught, but even then, you shouldn't really get stuck forever on these pieces. You may just want to move on to book two. Perhaps after a while you can look back at the pieces you found hard and find you can play them with far less effort.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Allard, good point you make. I believe I over-labor on some of these songs. I don't pass myself until I get an acceptable recording. I'm not sure it's good for my development. I can be a bit hard on myself. Again, a teacher would do wonders for me.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
London Bridge
https://www.box.com/s/dsckqrv51279kucbkd42

Blow the Man Down
https://www.box.com/s/rptpjlbyzu2htlcinuv0

Lone Star Waltz
https://www.box.com/s/j3y2zfoimvyhof87qqto

Cafe Vienna
https://www.box.com/s/v1dhyr8dpdmnb56up9vj

-------------
I had the most difficult time getting a decent recording of Cafe Vienna. Of course all of the songs have their issues. I am trying to be a bit too perfect, and that is just making me more frustrated. At this point, I think I am doing fine and I need to accept that.

I took on too much in February which really slowed me down. I need to narrow my focus and just keep plugging along.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Part1cle
Hi,

I've been playing for about a year now and have finished the book itself but am struggling with the main pieces at the end, notably "The Entertainer", "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". I've also worked on Grade 1 scales and broken chords and the first "Dozen a day" book.

Should I move on to book 2 or keep flogging away at the pieces? I can play them but only at very slow tempos without mistakes but have to admit I'm getting a little bored.

Any other suggestions on what to play/study would also be gratefully received.

Cheers!

If you are bored with them move on to book two. Some is review. While you're moving along you'll develop skills that will help you with those book one songs. I have found that easy pieces that I am bored with are sometimes harder for me to grasp than are more difficult pieces that I enjoy. Boredom can only slow down your progress. Of course this is only my opinion.

A
A
After years of talking about it, I decided that after starting a new job and having our first baby, now was the perfect time to learn how to play the piano!

Last week I received Alfred's All in One Book 1 and just got to changing to the G position. I haven't hired a teacher yet, but plan to in the next couple of weeks. I hope by uploading videos to youtube I'll be forced to keep practicing and improving. I know its not perfect, but I would love to hear any critiques or pointers. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-H1jWPuXM

Page 259 of 452 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission