2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new on this forum, so I was wondering if there was a way to get an mp3 into a PianoWorld post from my email. Is it possible or do you have to link to a Youtube video or something?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PianoWorld does not host recording files. Instead, you'll need to host them yourself and post a link here. A couple of popular ways to do this include creating a youtube video, hosting the file on box.com, or hosting the file on soundcloud.com

(For the record, I personally hate YouTube videos that contain still images accompanied by audio. YouTube was designed for video and should be used for video. Soundcloud is a far better option for audio and allows commenting and sharing just as easily.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Great. Thanks Kreisler. Do these forums have a preference between box and soundcloud? Will one type of link load faster than the other? Does one site produce better quality audio?

Last edited by Polyphonist; 03/05/13 02:00 AM.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Great. Thanks Kreisler. Do these forums have a preference between box and soundcloud? Will one type of link load faster than the other?

I think most people's preference is to use a media outlet that allows streaming of the music. Most people will not choose to download a random, potentially unsafe file.

I've used soundcloud for anything audio. I just like it better. But from what I've seen, box is a good option, too.

And Kreisler-- 100% with you on the "audio/still pictures" use of YouTube. Unless it's the score, which is sometimes nice, I abhor this practice.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
All right, thanks a lot for your help Kreisler and Derulux. I think I'm going to sign up to soundcloud and see how it works.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Derulux
And Kreisler-- 100% with you on the "audio/still pictures" use of YouTube. Unless it's the score, which is sometimes nice, I abhor this practice.

I can recognise your disdain...but what if the picture is complementary to the music or even its inspiration?

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by FSO

I can recognise your disdain...but what if the picture is complementary to the music or even its inspiration?

Provide a link in the notes, and I'll check it out. But give me video for a media outlet that uses video.

Edit: I also don't need to stare at "your inspiration" for an entire 12 minute piece. wink

Last edited by Derulux; 03/05/13 04:36 PM.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO

Provide a link in the notes, and I'll check it out. But give me video for a media outlet that uses video.

Edit: I also don't need to stare at "your inspiration" for an entire 12 minute piece. wink

I like what PW Member Maxwell Janis does with his stuff:

As for me, I do the "slide show" style because I don't have a video camera, and so continue to work the principle: "Be creative and use what you have to the best of your ability." grin I mean, "Any creative person will tell you you have to go a little crazy to make great [um] art."

"Hamlet 2" - Dana shows script to Brie

Lighten up, guys! grin wink

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by FSO

As for me, I do the "slide show" style because I don't have a video camera, and so continue to work the principle: "Be creative and use what you have to the best of your ability." grin I mean, "Any creative person will tell you you have to go a little crazy to make great [um] art."

--Andy

Love it! "The Deuce, correct." hahaha laugh

As for the pics, I'd still much rather have the video. I'm not going to take up arms, marry my sister off to a Dothraki warlord, and hatch a few dragons to take back my video-watching rights, but at the very least, I will insist that do prefer video. wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted by FSO

--Andy

Love it! "The Deuce, correct." hahaha laugh

As for the pics, I'd still much rather have the video. I'm not going to take up arms, marry my sister off to a Dothraki warlord, and hatch a few dragons to take back my video-watching rights, but at the very least, I will insist that do prefer video. wink

The Deuce. Correct! O.K. Now, since we are sharing, I will tell you what gets my goat: people who make midi renderings that are perfect to the Nth degree, and then label themselves "pianists." I can appreciate the work that goes into the art, but what counts as a performance? Sure, I edit my recordings, and I've stated my reasons clearly in posts past for those who want to know the philosophy. But I perform live, too, with warts and farts. In fact, I was playing at a senior center last week, and one sweet-hearted old coot who wheeled his chair right up next to me to hawk down on my finger work and to enjoy the sound of the piano said, "You know all those mistakes you're making? We don't hear 'em. Our brain fills in the gaps." FREEDOM!!! thumb Yeah!!! That was truly one of the most encouraging things anyone has ever said to me! And it was said without guile--with sparkle and hugs.

That's why, when I hear recordings like I listened to this morning--Beethoven Sonata Op. 110 by GP95--my heart leaps for joy at the magnitude of the accomplishment. Or, when I hear recordings like I listened to this morning--the Brahms and Bach by Lizzy--my heart leaps for joy at the life and the courage and the warmth of it.

So, I have my d'ruthers, too, Derelux and K. I get it. I really do. I set my YouTube bar pretty low, though. That way, I am constantly pleasantly surprised at the excellent stuff I find on there to listen to and/or to watch. Also, I am glad I can have a YouTube presence without having to buy a video camera! wink

-Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission