2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 198 of 540 1 2 196 197 198 199 200 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Andy, MaryBee, Cheryl, Malkin and Exalted, thank you for your feedback. I will ask her next time to help me figure out why I cannot do it. I actually like my teacher and respect her art. She explains what and how to improve things. It's just her expectation is higher. She is normally dealing with piano performance students (18 to 20) in her day job. These kids are winning competitions and accepted to excellent music schools and conservatories. They seem to be able to play short pieces (5 to 10 pages) in 3 weeks. I've been doing the Mozart's sonata for two weeks. It should not be a challenging piece to read. I get that. I read it through and put my fingerlings. But I could not play fluently and I looked at my hands. She did tell me how to read those patterns previous week. But I could not reflect in the next lesson. I have full time work + husband + two dogs. I think I need to ask her to lower her expectations on me. At the same time, I would like to show her what I can do. I hate to cow down. So I'm practicing the particular runs. So in a way she is getting results. Maybe this is one if her teaching tactic?

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Eglantine --- congrats on improving your trills so much - but do tell! HOW did you improve so much?
What "clicked" into place for you?

There was no real click, but a bunch of things taken together:

1. I stopped using a piano stool (non-adjustable) as it's just too high for the harpsichord. I started using a dining chair. This brought my arm down slightly to just the right level, which makes a huge difference.
As recommended by Couperin in L'art de toucher...

2. I started actually doing trills and mordents using 3 & 4 in RH, rather than avoiding it by using other fingers! It's all over, throughout the piece: Bb/A, C/Bb, G/F etc. So lots of practice.

3. I read around a bit. Found some advice online, found some exercises in books.
The advice was to also try a slight wrist turning action to help/support the finger action. This also did help a bit.
I also played the exercises, though not a lot. Must do some more.

4. I repeated step 2, a lot.

That's it really.

Last edited by Eglantine; 03/02/13 01:49 PM.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, you make it sound so simple!
I haven't had much experience playing trills...I'll be interested in seeing what kind of challenges crop up once I start!

Thanks for the info!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Warlock you seem to be blazing through the beginner material at a remarkable pace, even for someone that is dedicating a lot of time and effort.

Eglantine, congratulations on the trills. I would like to learn that technique, but it feels so far away right now.

Week 51 : I memorize Misty Mountains Cold. I continue to work on it, and Canon in D. I still have Ashokan Farewell, my original Shadow and the new piece I am writing in F major in the rotation. From my note reading I have added Dixie, so the piece plate seems quite full with five pieces in the rotation and about an hour per day to work on things. I have a decent beginning and part C for the new piece, the connecting bars for part B don't seem as interesting. I play Misty and the new work in progress for two visiting friends. I clumsily muddle my way through with some sub par playing. I didn't do one of my more polished pieces, so I didn't feel much pressure. One friend's mom owns a Steinway grand piano and still performs in public. She is in her 80s.

I download two ear training apps for the Android tablet. One has a higher/lower game, another a match the melody game. I thought myself to have a slightly above average ear, but perhaps I was overrating myself. The ABF survey from May 2012:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1925828/1.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewanalytics?formkey=dEM3bk1RSm5jcnNIR0hCQ0psRXZ1ZFE6MA

has 27% playing by ear. However, that was yes or no, and there are varying skill levels. So I am well below that 27% but how far below? Tougher to guess that, because most pianists have some ability, even if they have spent zero time focusing on it. Also in the survey, 3% have a music degree, so those at the Arizona party were the best of the best, with four piano degrees in the group of eight, and the other four able to entertain them.

Have a good week everyone and keep the newspaper stories coming.

W
W
Sand Tiger - I'm just so determined to play! I'm enjoying playing so much! I even pulled out the Christmas Book and played songs I learned over the holidays just so I'm ready for next holiday season! Practice makes perfect!! My goal is to learn at least one new Christmas piece each month til December.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I had the recital today at the community college. It was originally scheduled 3/9 but it was moved up. I played my Brahms piece.  It went well.  I had two mistakes but covered up well. In fact, one of the cover up was kind of beautiful.  My goal was to play as musical as possible.  I was happy because I was able to play the famous repeat the best I could.   First time I emphasized the melody in the right hand over quiet / subdued triplets in the left hand, then second time brought up the counter melody in the left hand (the first note of the triplets). I was happy because i was able to do this. I almist cried when i heard the combination of the first notes of the triplets and melody going in the distance. The trplets sounded like aching heart trenbling over the faint melody. Of course there is much to be improved but I was happy. Also I changed the beginning dynamic to p from mf that I was playing for the ABF recital.  Actually some people came to me and said it was beautiful.  Thenbest part was the sight of my teacher - she was beaming with joy. It's the benefit of playing a piece which is really beautiful. I feel good tonight.  

Other people played, Chopin Nocturne in F minor Op 55 #1, Andante and Variations Op 83a Mendelssohn, G major Prelude WTC Book II, Petite Valse Op 45 #13 Heller,  Chopin Nocturne in E minor, Bach Partita #5 in G major Corrente / Sarabande / Preambulum, Chopin Prelude in c minor Op 28 #20.  Chris played Rachmaninoff Moment Musucaux Op16 #2. It was forlorn yet very beautiful.  I kind of like music with thick layers.  So that's the whole report.  

There was a Korean girl today who screwed up badly.  I felt for her.   Been there and done that. Where she played before she screwed up sounded beautiful.  I think she is musical.  But she left without mingling others.  It's all mental. You know. Years ago I did not have any self confidence.  I am going to share my thoughts with her next time. I don't want her to quit and I think she is on the berge of it.

W
W
FarmGirl - congrats on the recital!! Continue to work hard!!

Casio Privia PX-150
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, it sounds like your recital went fantastically well. Congratulations!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SandTiger - one more week smile !
Sounds like you've got a good rotation of different kinds of music going. I don't usually work on 5 at at time, but I like to have 3 on the go at various stages.

FarmGirl - wow. What a beautiful moment for you! What tremendous satisfaction! I think you're really getting a lot out of these special guest appearances!
I think the Korean woman will appreciate your insight - I hope she returns so you can talk to her.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Farmgirl

Congratulations. Your Brahms was already wonderful, but it sounds like you really brought out the subtleties.
[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Warlock, Cheryl, SwissMS and JimF, thank you. It was an incredible feeling. I have to admit that I'm liking this public performance thing. My fingers were shaking with sudden adrenalin charge, but it added extra something to the performance, passion or emotion whatever you call it. I did not take anything. I'm very grateful to the ABF community and it's supportive culture well manifested in this thread. I could not come this far (that's how it feels like to me). Thank you and good piano week for every one.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Farmgirl, that is fantastic. I looked up some of the old posts from the thread. Here is a quote from you after two lessons with the new teacher in August 2012.

Farmgirl wrote in August 2012:
I already see a stark difference with my new teacher. in our first lesson she told me to try to put my own fingering and show her how I would play in the f minor fugue from WTC book II. I had my second lesson and she told me to sight read through the prelude part from the beginning to the end. She told me where she disagreed with my fingerings and interpretations and why.

I like the fact we can discuss our approach. Also the expectation is totally different. She asked me if I read through the fugue part. I gasped and said "no". She said "why not" and she would like me to start reading as much as possible. It really forced me to be independent. Before with my old teacher, we did it 3 lines at a time. And I did not need to think about anything. I showed up and she did everything for me. I now have to think about how I want to play. I realized that I kind of like that approach. I don't think I was ready for it 4 years ago but now I feel comfortable doing that. Anyway it's my update.

T
T
My achievement of the week is personal rather than piano related, and as a result I have played very little piano. It will be that way for a couple more weeks. Then me and my piano will get through the tough times. You know you're safe with a piano and it will never break your heart.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Toastie, I was just thinking about you. I initiated a thread on the Composer's forum about a young man saying that he needed his heart broken again so he could write another song (Creativity and Moods). My music has gotten me through some very tough times. If there is no time for playing, listening can help as well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Piano friends! Sorry for this very long post- have a bit of a catch up to do... I have just been doing Piano practice- and it is going into dusk and I hadn't really noticed as had a tea light lit in a holder on top of my Piano. I have just drew the curtains and listening to Claire de Lune....oh to be able to play this. I LOVE Debussy. Watched Howard Goodall's programme earlier about how Debussy worked with the pentatonic scale- very interesting what he did with chords. I always wondered why when fiddling about playing the black keys only they had a sort of Eastern sound!

Regarding singing when playing- over a year ago I was making up tunes on my Piano and was sort of hearing singing and stopped thinking it was one of the fellow tenants in the hall ( I was in a shared house then) and it wasn't so I carried on and could still hear it... I then sang the notes I was hearing and found they fitted in with the tune. It is a while ago but I think I must have been hearing harmonies or something. Being a beginner I am not very good at describing things.

Anyway, forgive my rambling....I haven't an achievement as such but realised more things about what I need to do to practice more effectively- using the right fingers for chords/chord changes for one! Alfred's has the finger numbers on the sheet music so I have been playing close attention to it and am getting better at the blues piece on page 67 and Joy to the World. I am playing the blues piece slower than it ought to be to get the finger positions correct. I want to be playing correctly and up to speed for Friday's lesson!

Last night I dreamed I was playing Debussy-esque notes on my Piano- woke up then realising it wasn't true..sigh...

Well, I just found an ultra easy version of Claire De Lune sheet music online- looks simple enough for me so will print it and try it out. I can show it to my teacher.

Casinitaly and John- it's great you got positive feedback from others.

FarmGirl - I really liked your visualization of Brahms and Clara Schumann from your Brahms Intermezzo. Clearly you are very in touch with the piece.

Ooh where's this to be found? I'm discovering the music of Clara at the moment and like Brahms as well!

Thinking back - two years I remember my hands shaking during my lessons. Luckily that doesn't happen anymore.

I'm still getting that Andy! I always have shaky hands if anyone sees me “play”- even friends.

EdwardianPiano -- Consistently practicing for an hour each day *will* really help your progress. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping. And I must say, now that I'm not practicing an hour daily due to my living circumstances, I really do feel the lack of progress, so that would seem to indicate that I was making relatively good progress before. I wish you the same!
I talk to myself while playing, too. All the time. Even during lessons I occasionally do it (which has already earned me a few weird looks from my teacher). I think a lot of people do this, actually. It's not really a problem, so long as you don't do it during recital performances!
I accomplished quite a few things this week (among them, I got the owner of my as-of-yet unfinished apartment to cough up the money for two weeks of hotel accommodations), but alas, none of them are piano-related. In fact, I had a pretty bad lesson yesterday, where I plowed through the same simple Burgmüller piece for the third time in a row, and still didn't get it right. I'm starting to doubt that I should really continue with this taking lessons thing. I feel like I'm wasting my teacher's time.

Thanks Saranoya. I don't manage an hour a day as yet due not always being at home to do it and it being too late at night sometimes but at least I try to get in 20 minutes most days. I think it was 40 minutes today. Piano had his Spring polish with Linseed oil and a new light cloth on his top- cream with embroidery I got from a charity shop a few months ago. I re arranged the framed composer portraits, little piano music box and candle sticks- he looks very nice! I talk to my Piano whilst practising LOL- like when I make a little progress and find I am getting a piece I'll exclaim: “I'm doing it Piano!”

I hope you get moved into your new home soon. Don't give up your lessons! I get things wrong all the time and am always playing badly yet I keep on with it. I'll tell my teacher I got better on something then proceed to show him and make a right mess of it. I have resolved not to tell him I'm any better now each lesson as I tend to jinx myself.

She's feeling a little sick, however. Doctor says she needs to wait a few weeks before getting tuned, but I'm not so sure! A few dampers aren't working and now there's an awkward vibration in some of the higher bass strings.

Oh dear Allard! I hope the tuner can make her better soon!

Don't give up Saranoya! It takes sometime to settle in with a teacher, especially if you have been away from the piano for a while. A teacher wants to hear where you are having problems, and they know that you are nervous in the first few lessons.When I first started back with piano I felt like a dunce. I could not play "mary had a little lamb" without an error. Hang in there!

I had such a fun lesson today. I am at the point with the Nocturne that we are mostly working on dynamics and interpretation. I nailed my troublesome arpeggios and ornaments at the end in the lesson today. My AOTW was my teacher telling me that I played the best she had every heard me play today. That made my day! Hopefully I can start trying to record this soon, and move on to the next project.

I'm the Dunce of dunces LOL- I'd probably play that Lamb wrong too as well. I make a mistake every time I play something it seems. But this afternoon I think I found out why- not just nerves but I appear to be holding tension in my fingers so they are stiff and too clumsy to move to the keys in the right way! I practised my pieces then fiddled about with chords and made up little melodies ( really for chord progressions...) and found my fingers loosening up and when I went back to the Handel I played it better. You have done well to now be learning Chopin!

Finished Unit 4 in Faber's Adult Piano Adventures! Also learned how to recognize Key Signatures!

Great Warlock! I'm still working on key signatures- any tips?

So my teacher thinks my 3rd/4th finger trills and mordents (esp. right hand, my worst hand) have improved tremendously. And I sound musical. Hurrah! The hard work is starting to pay off.
(This is on Couperin's 7th Prelude from L'Art de Toucher.)

Three weeks ago, 3rd/4th finger ornaments in RH were virtually impossible for me. The two fingers felt tremendously tied together, this is not my good hand, and I am not at all young.

That is a brilliant achievement Eglantine! WOW, you have a Harpsichord! Have you got a piano also? Do you find them very different to play? Does a harpsichord feel different to play?

I'm with you on that. Sometimes I think my piano teacher should say that to me but she never does. But I think it's more reasonable for the teacher to say, "That was a little slower than I would have thought for someone at your level. Looks like we need to focus more on reading for a while ..." or similar.

Mine has the patience of a saint! Never gets irritated with my clunky playing and mistakes. I joke he should get the ruler out and slap my fingers and he laughs and says that approach isn't good. He never says anything negative. He is of the belief a piano teacher should always be kind- his mother taught him ( she's a piano teacher) so must be how she taught him. Paid off though as he is very good.

I've been doing the Mozart's sonata for two weeks. It should not be a challenging piece to read. I get that. I read it through and put my fingerlings. But I could not play fluently and I looked at my hands. She did tell me how to read those patterns previous week. But I could not reflect in the next lesson. I have full time work + husband + two dogs. I think I need to ask her to lower her expectations on me. At the same time, I would like to show her what I can do. I hate to cow down. So I'm practicing the particular runs. So in a way she is getting results.

Er..you are doing brilliantly FarmGirl- a full time job etc- two weeks isn't a long time when you have all that as well as Piano. Your teacher IS getting good results with you- look at all the performances you have done!

My goal was to play as musical as possible.  I was happy because I was able to play the famous repeat the best I could.   First time I emphasized the melody in the right hand over quiet / subdued triplets in the left hand, then second time brought up the counter melody in the left hand (the first note of the triplets). I was happy because i was able to do this. I almist cried when i heard the combination of the first notes of the triplets and melody going in the distance. The trplets sounded like aching heart trenbling over the faint melody.

Stunning FarmGirl! Sounds wonderful......

There was a Korean girl today who screwed up badly.  I felt for her.   Been there and done that. Where she played before she screwed up sounded beautiful.  I think she is musical.  But she left without mingling others.  It's all mental. You know. Years ago I did not have any self confidence.  I am going to share my thoughts with her next time. I don't want her to quit and I think she is on the berge of it.

Poor girl- hope you get to see her FarmGirl as I know your kind encouragements will help her.

My achievement of the week is personal rather than piano related, and as a result I have played very little piano. It will be that way for a couple more weeks. Then me and my piano will get through the tough times. You know you're safe with a piano and it will never break your heart.

Aww Toastie- hugs and wonderful piano times to you. Xxxx

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 03/03/13 03:33 PM.
W
W
EdwardianPiano - Key Signatures(MAJOR)...just remember when faced with Sharps, the Key will be the last # and a half step up! Flats, take the second b from last Flat and that's your Key.

Minor - Key Signatures are a Major Scale's sixth note(Relative Minor). For instance a Key Sig with 2 #s is the Key of D major or B minor. In the D maj Scale (D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D) the sixth note is B, thus B minor. Remember a Major Scale consists of (Maj-Min-Min-Maj-Maj-Min-Min-Maj)

Good practice is at Practice recognizing Key Signatures, etc. I do the exercises daily!

Last edited by warlock214; 03/03/13 11:40 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by warlock214
EdwardianPiano - Key Signatures...just remember when faced with Sharps, the Key will be the last # and a half step up! Flats, take the second b from last Flat and that's your Key.

Good practice is at Practice recognizing Key Signatures, etc. I do the exercises daily!

Thanks Warlock!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Toastie - Sorry to hear that you are going through tough times. The piano really will help you through it. It will always give you joy.

My daughter is visiting from the US, and she went with me to my lesson, and then we spent the day in Zurich together. It never occurred to me I would be nervous taking a lesson in front of my daughter. My hands were shaking when I was playing the Bach and I totally tensed up. So what does my teacher tell me to do? Stick my tongue out and hold it out while I played the troublesome left hand trill. Who can be tense with their tongue sticking out? It worked. I still am not "singing" the Bach well, but it is better. So my AOTW is learning how to play with my tongue sticking out. She called my Debussy "excellent" so needless to say I am on a high!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Toastie - Sorry to hear that you are going through tough times. The piano really will help you through it. It will always give you joy.

My daughter is visiting from the US, and she went with me to my lesson, and then we spent the day in Zurich together. It never occurred to me I would be nervous taking a lesson in front of my daughter. My hands were shaking when I was playing the Bach and I totally tensed up. So what does my teacher tell me to do? Stick my tongue out and hold it out while I played the troublesome left hand trill. Who can be tense with their tongue sticking out? It worked. I still am not "singing" the Bach well, but it is better. So my AOTW is learning how to play with my tongue sticking out. She called my Debussy "excellent" so needless to say I am on a high!

How was that recital you attended yesterday?
Oh, the music was fabulous but the pianist kept sticking their tongue out at me!

wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sticking tongue out! Wow I have never heard of it. I will try it. I'm interested in how my dogs react to it.

Not a real achievement yet. I had to start doing my work at 3:00 AM. I did not get much done this weekend. I have finally came down from the euphoric state. When the alarm rung, I knew I was no longer in Heaven. I'm on earth now. I have to work, cook & clean, take care of the dogs and find time to practice. I am not a socialite (had a dream of being one. Attended a ribon cutting celemony for a wolf conservation society. But I woke up trying to cut into the ribbon).

Page 198 of 540 1 2 196 197 198 199 200 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission