2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Calavera, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
P
Originally Posted by ando

No other brand has been spared a balanced critique on PW. It has been my observation for some time now that Estonia enjoys a strange prestige on PW. I'm not really sure why. To me they are just one of dozens of pianos out there which have no particular quality distinction over many others. It often feels to me like there is a sort of "sponsorship" of the Estonia company here. For some reason it doesn't sit well with me.

ando, you can meet some dealer sponsorship on forums, but I really understand the love for Estonia here. You can get a tier 2 grand for the price of tier 4. In the price range of Estonia are Boston, W.Hoffman, and Estonia beats them hands down. Or you can buy some other smaller tier2-tier3 grands for the price of Estonia, but size is size - Estonia can be still a better value, IMO.

Kawai RX-2 is other beloved piano here, and exactly by the same reason - at its price range it offers extremely good value.

What about quality distinction, I can admire Bosendorfer or Fazioli, but the love would be only theoretical - their pianos are absolutely out of reach for me.

What about quality of Estonia pianos, Mark's example shows that there could be problem pianos among them. But it is covered by the factory warranty though.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
They fail to realize that the real "hypers of the industry" include some other brands whose long time efforts would dwarf anything ever being said about this small Baltic maker.
So you're saying your hyping is just not as great as hyping by others?

These critics also don't realize that the need for further promotion for Estonia has long seized to be necessary with every single dealer known to me currently scrambling for replacement of existing stock.
Estonia makes a very small number of pianos per year. Therefore, the fact that dealers are scrambling for them should be of no surprise but rather expected. This has been pointed out to you many times.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
PLU - It has also "been pointed out to you many times" that your public diatribe against Norbert has become very tiresome.

There is no reason that Norbert shouldn't stand behind the brands which he carries. That is not "hype." It is being a good dealer.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by turandot

BTW, I drive a Honda, but I'd rather have a Citroen. It's just so hard to source one.

Me too. thumb

Thanks for your post, Turandot. I actually understood what you were saying. I was just trying to further the discussion.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
PLU - It has also "been pointed out to you many times" that your public diatribe against Norbert has become very tiresome.

There is no reason that Norbert shouldn't stand behind the brands which he carries. That is not "hype." It is being a good dealer.
Not really.

It's the number of his posts that make it unquestionably hype. More than all the PW dealers combined by a huge margin. This is why many others besides me have said he same thing and even other dealers have complained.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying his endless hyping actually hurts these makes. Or do you think all the other dealers, who avoid the endless self congratulations and self promotion are just not being good dealers? You can't have it both ways.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/03/13 01:08 PM.
Again and as usual, Mr Anonymous's above claim is false.

My posts about any of our brands including Estonia are far less these days than their [prospective] owners reporting about them.

Insider tip: those dealers not or hardly posting here are selling the majority of available pianos.

The smart ones I guess.....

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 03/03/13 01:29 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I actually understood what you were saying. I was just trying to further the discussion.

Rich,

I don't know if that's possible. The thread seems to have gone into a laundry spin cycle where coins have come out of trouser pockets and can be heard rattling around in the drum. grin

How bout a what if?

It's been my observation that retailers give up a brand more often because of problems in their supply chain than because of anything to do with product quality. What happens if Estonia (like virtually every other maker) looks toward Asia, does not increase production, and availability becomes eve more of an issue for you guys than it is now?

Is the Estonia factory operating at full capacity?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hard to source is very fair. It's hard for me to source at times, and I'm the dealer. wink

Regional relevance and sometimes local dominance is possible for even the smallest makers. Little choices from dealers can really influence a local market. We did that for several brands in Atlanta.

Estonia is creeping into more prominent European dealers, but supplying current dealers and diversifying into new markets must be a difficult balance. I saw Gerd Finkenstein add Estonia to their roster. If the company decided to expand some, I think they would easily find customers, but as companies grow, they have different problems.

I trust the leadership to keep the product's identity over ambitions to be in every market. Thankfully, some of my customers are willing to travel like hotcat to discover what Estonia offers them. Actually, yesterday I had 2 customers drive 6 hrs (each way) to buy and another drive 4 hrs (each way) to narrow down (their second daylong trip).

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
S

It is.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

It is.

Well Steve. I expected someone from the power grid to respond, bu not you. After all, you've never stocked Estonia, never been its consultant, and don't personally own one. In fact your only possible business interest (trifling at best grin ) would be those nice ads in Pianobuyer that Estonia and at least four of its devoted retailers have entrusted to you. grin

So, if factory is at full capacity, you've got the hands that nave always fed you queueing up for more product, you've got Geerd Finkenstein waitng in the wings to open up Europe, and Asia beckons, what do you do short of increasing capacity? Is it loyalty or leverage?

The business answer would seem to be that you use your leverage.... keep increasing the wholesale and/or stiffening the order terms hoping to not go beyond the sweet spot. It seems like the formula for a lot of high-ticket pianos. And...having a higher sales price will fatten your tier points on Pianobuyer

Maybe Hotcat was smart to get in when he did.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
P
I believe Estonia pianos are hand-made pianos, so no point to increase production if you do not have enough experts to produce same high quality instruments smile

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

These critics also don't realize that the need for further promotion for Estonia has long seized to be necessary

Shouldn't that be "ceased"? And that is probably what this thread should be as well.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
H
hotcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well, I'm a "she," not a "he," not that it matters! Anyway I'm highly amused and grateful that my almost first post has gotten so much traffic.

After my Estonia arrives I will plan to give honest, objective updates. In the meantime, I'm trying to get my house humid enough for the new arrival, and waiting for my new rug to be delivered. What with all this nesting I feel like I'm expecting a baby.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hotcat
What with all this nesting I feel like I'm expecting a baby.
In a way, you are!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
R
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by hotcat
What with all this nesting I feel like I'm expecting a baby.
In a way, you are!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I echo that! Most threads about new purchases elicit friendly responses. This one took a different turn ...

S
S
Well Steve. I expected someone from the power grid to respond, bu not you. After all, you've never stocked Estonia, never been its consultant, and don't personally own one. In fact your only possible business interest (trifling at best grin ) would be those nice ads in Pianobuyer that Estonia and at least four of its devoted retailers have entrusted to you. grin

So, if factory is at full capacity, you've got the hands that nave always fed you queueing up for more product, you've got Geerd Finkenstein waitng in the wings to open up Europe, and Asia beckons, what do you do short of increasing capacity? Is it loyalty or leverage?

The business answer would seem to be that you use your leverage.... keep increasing the wholesale and/or stiffening the order terms hoping to not go beyond the sweet spot. It seems like the formula for a lot of high-ticket pianos. And...having a higher sales price will fatten your tier points on Pianobuyer

Again you are operating on a false premise. I have no earnings from advertising in Piano Buyer, and haven't for almost two years.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by AJF
If you haven't had all of your issues with YOUR instrument resolved then you need to pursue your dealer's attention. If that doesn't work then you need to pursue the company's attention. If that doesn't work then you need to talk to a lawyer. All that said, I can't see how in the end your issues can't find a resolution.
What this comment fails to understand is that all "issues" with pianos aren't clearly covered by a warranty. Warranties cover defects in materials and workmanship. When these are black and white issues like pin block failure, major cosmetic problems, parts breaking, delamination of the case, etc., the need for resolution by the dealer or company will be obvious. Other problems can be more subtle and not so clearly covered under a warranty.

I believe that Mark's "issue" with his piano was deemed to be defective strings.
It was with this understanding that I wrote my post. I don't believe there is a failing in my understanding to assume that faulty strings would easily be argued as something that falls under the umbrella of warranty coverage.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
H
hotcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H

Yes, I'm looking into getting a Venta. For now I'm just using a cheap Vicks steam vaporizer. So far, in just a half a day it's moved from 20% to 28% so I figure that's good progress.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Did you get the piano saver system?

H
hotcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yes, I got the Dampp-Chaser.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission