2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
T
T
Inlanding.. that is a nice soothing sound.. very jazzy imho...

anyway.. before i post a recording, if i'm looking for more technical feedback of a not perfect recording, should i post here or create another post? Dont want to crowd the piano bar that sounds for more experienced players. So what's the norm? Thank you

-TY-
Learning since: Sept 2012
Playing..
Canon in D, Pachebel
Marriage D Amour, Richard Clayderman

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
ty.beginner, I've always felt if I can post here, anybody can. cool I know there are mistakes in my performances, and I don't mind if anybody tells me so. In fact I want to be told about that.

I don't think many of the people who post here feel they are at some level few can reach. Most consider themselves beginners, though they've been playing for many years. Nevertheless there are many quality pianists here, but they don't regard themselves as above everybody else.

What I mean is you can allow yourself to be human here and make mistakes.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ty.beginner - don`t worry about anything. Post if you feel ready. Your own feed back will tell you; recording and playback is a good way to improve things. And no matter how good you think you are, there`s loads who are better who`s brain you can pick . . . No matter how bad, there are loads who are worse who will improve to who knows what height?

But we all have a style which is unique. Nobody can emulate it. So go for it man; Have fun!!

Last edited by peterws; 03/24/13 06:28 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
T
thanx for the encouragement, this is the first piece i learned when i started learning piano from scratch. I've just started playing for around 6 months. But i think i've hit a dead end with this piece. I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. It's not a perfect recording as there's no hiccups in it (but i seldom play flawlessly anyway). So any critiques are welcome. maybe some suggestion as to improvements as well smile

canon in d

-TY-
Playing..
Canon in D, Pachebel

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
TromboneAl - You have a great singing voice. What a nice relaxed version of this classic. I enjoyed it!

Weiyan - Nice arrangement of Moon is my Heart. You gave it a nice feel.

peterws - I loved the echo effect that you created. It was a nice touch. I liked that version best.

Inlanding - Wonderful, soothing jazz and very nice improv. It kept my interest to see what you would come up with next. Very fun!

tv.beginner - Welcome to the piano bar! Your Cannon in D was very nicely done, especially for your first piece. You have a nice touch.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info above Theodor!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
A
A
Love the Canon in D, ty.beginner smile
Try to play the melody a bit louder so it stands out more. It got drowned out a bit in the middle parts, especially with the long sustain in the chords.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ty.beginner
... I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. ...

I like how you did this. I can see you're at a dead end for now. I hear you on using harmonics. Not sure how. One suggestion... What you and I want to play on this is actually a duet. Try recording the more stacatto painisimo notes in both hands. Then over the top of the recording...or you can use another track on the recorder (better). Add your harmonics with sustain. Follow your heart on the developing it. I hear the same development in this. I'm confident I'll end up with a duet. I can't figure out how else it can be done?

Last edited by rnaple; 03/24/13 10:44 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
I can see that `ll come along well with practice It is merely the passage of time. There`s a lot of resonance on the piano; is it time to back off a bit on the foot pedal, perhaps? I am always amazed to find this tune is hundreds of years old .. .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're welcome Larry. If you try out ffmpeg, please let me know how it works out.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
ty.beginner~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Thank you for sharing your rendition of Canon in D. I can hear you are being careful to control the tempo and you do a great job of it - you have a very nice touch. If I were to recommend anything from the start it would be to use your sustain pedal with greater economy to allow the voices of the music to shine - you play them very well. Try playing/recording the entire piece without touching the pedal, then listen to your dynamics, etc. to get a better idea of how/when to use the pedal. I really look forward to hearing this piece again after it's matured under your fingers more. Great job on your first submission - keep 'em coming!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
thanx for the encouragement, this is the first piece i learned when i started learning piano from scratch. I've just started playing for around 6 months. But i think i've hit a dead end with this piece. I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. It's not a perfect recording as there's no hiccups in it (but i seldom play flawlessly anyway). So any critiques are welcome. maybe some suggestion as to improvements as well smile

canon in d

Very nice, excellent first recording and I love that piece.
I like the ambience in the room too!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ty.Beginner Great job on your first posting! Looking forward to listen to more from you. What version of Canon in D is it that you are playing here? It sounded great!

Inlanding Loved your jazz standard! Improvisations like this are a real treat!! Thanks for sharing. Your music is really inspiring!!

Peterws Great idea of posting a behind the scenes video like this!! It just shows how much goes into creating the lovely pieces that you create for us here. Great piano playing as always!!

Weyian Great job! Nice touch on the video with the sepia effect. And your action is covered up this time? The sounds turned out great anyway!!

TromboneAl Comments coming up… stay tuned. wink Great job! Loved it. You sing really well! Great band you have too!!

SwissMS Loved it!! Great that you widen the music styles that you play!! There are so many great jazz players here and perhaps you got inspired by them. The audio recording sounded just fine to me.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Saranoya, well done. Peterws, I liked the train video/playing. Also liked Inkspots, you make it appear easy to play, but I know it isn't.
Stumbler, good job on the Gershwin standard.
Glen, as usual your improvisations are great. The later one sounded a bit like Sinatra's The Lady Is a Tramp, which I tried to sing it at a karaoke last night. Didn't do very well actually. Jazz IS hard to play and sing, so many 7ths, 9ths, 11ths and even 13ths.
SwissMS, your jazz selection was also very well played.
TromboneAl, nicely done. Really liked playing and singing.
Weiyan, great job on The Moon Is My Heart. You've improved a lot. Impressive that you've memorized the song. The piano sounds pleasant and the audio is very clear. I usually listen to the submissions with a headphone, so I hear the details well. I didn't notice any hiss in your recording.

Me on YouTube

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
peterws: thank you for sharing about the technical of video recording. The piece in the demonstration is very good.
Inlanding: Very nice standard.
ty.begginer: Sharing is a sure way to improve. Cannon in D is well played. I am not an expert, can't give you much suggestion. There seems stress during the recording session, this is normal to most of us. We call this red light syndrome. Its not easy to overcome. Keep on posting.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for all those give me feedback and suggestions.

I am preparing next month's submission.

Bach's Minuet in D min. The playing is different from my previous Bach pieces. This piece is expressive and require the legato technique.

The another piece is Embracing Love, a theme song of a soap opera. I am pulling out the score from youtube. This may be somekind of play by ear.

This is my last submission this month: Love is Blue Melodian Cover

Thank you watching.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
Weiyan #2053764 03/25/13 01:08 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by SwissMS

tv.beginner - Welcome to the piano bar! Your Cannon in D was very nicely done, especially for your first piece. You have a nice touch.

SwissMS: Thank you smile

Originally Posted by Allard
Love the Canon in D, ty.beginner smile
Try to play the melody a bit louder so it stands out more. It got drowned out a bit in the middle parts, especially with the long sustain in the chords.

Allard: I will try smile the sustain is a big problem since i have no idea on how to learn it. hence i have a lead foot on the sustain most of the time.

Originally Posted by rnaple
... I wanted to learn harmonics, but have no idea where to place them. ...

I like how you did this. I can see you're at a dead end for now. I hear you on using harmonics. Not sure how. One suggestion... What you and I want to play on this is actually a duet. Try recording the more stacatto painisimo notes in both hands. Then over the top of the recording...or you can use another track on the recorder (better). Add your harmonics with sustain. Follow your heart on the developing it. I hear the same development in this. I'm confident I'll end up with a duet. I can't figure out how else it can be done?

thanx rnaple. I'm sorry but i dont really get what you mean by duet. Is that recording two different times and then trying to blend them together via post processing the mp3s? i can't keep the same tempo at 2 different playing which is a big problem for this technique. thank you for the idea though smile

Originally Posted by peterws
I can see that `ll come along well with practice It is merely the passage of time. There`s a lot of resonance on the piano; is it time to back off a bit on the foot pedal, perhaps? I am always amazed to find this tune is hundreds of years old .. .

This tune is my main motivator to learn the piano smile and you got me with the foot pedal. As that is my biggest concern now. I have no idea on when to use it as in the section that needs it. The moment i use it for some section, the sections i left it out feel so shallow if you know what i mean. I'm still searching the web for tips, helps on the pedal to see if something clicks. So far, i've come up with nothing frown

Originally Posted by Inlanding
ty.beginner~ Welcome to the Piano Bar! Thank you for sharing your rendition of Canon in D. I can hear you are being careful to control the tempo and you do a great job of it - you have a very nice touch. If I were to recommend anything from the start it would be to use your sustain pedal with greater economy to allow the voices of the music to shine - you play them very well. Try playing/recording the entire piece without touching the pedal, then listen to your dynamics, etc. to get a better idea of how/when to use the pedal. I really look forward to hearing this piece again after it's matured under your fingers more. Great job on your first submission - keep 'em coming!

Glen

Thank you Glen. So many people caught my weakness on the first recording smile i'm glad for the critique. I'm still learning via researching the web on the pedal information. However nothing so far clicks yet. I will play around with the pedal and hopefully come up with something.

Originally Posted by LarryShone
Very nice, excellent first recording and I love that piece.
I like the ambience in the room too!

Thanx Larry. The ambience is due to not having a good mic smile i'm using my android phone for the recording.

Originally Posted by Amaruk
Ty.Beginner Great job on your first posting! Looking forward to listen to more from you. What version of Canon in D is it that you are playing here? It sounded great!

Amaruk I found this version from http://www.onlinepianist.com/songs/piano_tutorials/1266/Pachelbels-Canon-Johann-Pachelbel.php . I have no idea where they come up with the arrangement from since the original canon i believe is not for piano.

Originally Posted by Weiyan

ty.begginer: Sharing is a sure way to improve. Cannon in D is well played. I am not an expert, can't give you much suggestion. There seems stress during the recording session, this is normal to most of us. We call this red light syndrome. Its not easy to overcome. Keep on posting.

Weiyan: Thank you. I hope to post more. At the rate i'm learning things though, It'll be an achievement by itself if i can post 3 to 4 pieces a year. My last piece took me 3 months to memorize and another month to increase the tempo to a very low standard. I'm still not happy with some sections of it even till now.

-TY-
Playing..
Canon in D, Pachebel

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy
A
A
Syncopated pedalling should work here, ty. It's relatively easy to do. Press down the sustain pedal during the first note of a chord. Keep it down while you play the rest of the chord. When you start the next chord, release the pedal and immediately press it down again, before you release the first note of the second chord. Repeat with every chord. This way, no more than one chord should be sounding at any time.

You could practice it on single notes first:
Press D, pedal down, release D, press A, pedal up, pedal down, release A, press B, pedal up, pedal down, release B, etc.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Meant to include ty.beginner's submission in my review, but forgot to. Well done, ty.beginner, keep up the good work.

Me on YouTube

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Inlanding - this is way cool! You have such a wonderful laidback style of playing. The piano is front and center but not overpowering - this is a professional quality effort although the ending was a bit abrupt.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission