2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
currawong #2037465 02/22/13 12:47 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by currawong
I do make accompaniment recordings from time to time, and I've worked out a fee schedule for this. No, it's not ideal, but it is useful for the (usually) student performer. They still have to learn how to perform with a real live pianist, when to lead, when to follow etc. It's not so much that it cuts down on rehearsal time, but that, as Kreisler says, the rehearsal time can be spent on the music rather than teaching them their part. smile

Something I have not seen mentioned (and pardon me if it HAS been mentioned), but an expert accompanist can "take over" when guiding an inexperienced player. I used to "pull" students back or push them forward when an adjustment in tempo was necessary, and at times, by placing a piano at just the right angle, I actually gave signals where a "judge" could not see them.

A recording is most definitely better than nothing, but it puts extra demands on the soloist, who then has to follow it even if he/she has had input into the making of the recording.

This is for music that is traditional and that does not have a 100% steady beat. For commercial music it is different.

Gary D. #2037478 02/22/13 01:02 PM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary D.
This is for music that is traditional and that does not have a 100% steady beat. For commercial music it is different.

Yes. Commercial music has a consistent beat, but not pitch.

gotta go practice
TimR #2037489 02/22/13 01:18 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR

And you think all the classical singers sing the right pitch all the time??? crazy

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #2037506 02/22/13 01:56 PM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by TimR

And you think all the classical singers sing the right pitch all the time??? crazy

well..............I do! Hee, hee. Or if I sing a wrong note, it's actually a mistake, not an almost right right note.

I suspect digital autotune lets some people sell CDs that otherwise would be unable to. And click track keeps the rhythm steady - but that part I enjoy.

I don't listen to Idol regularly, but my family does, and I hear it in the background. It's really very instructive to hear the difference between a decent amateur and a pro. A wandering key center is one of the symptoms that drives me nuts.

gotta go practice
M
M
I provide a lot of accompaniment services during festival time, and I made a standard contract last year, which people have been great with so far.

I charge a flat rate, which includes accompaniment for two pieces, and two rehearsals. Any extra rehearsals requested by the family are charged the same as a private lesson with me. Any more than two pieces requires additional fees.

As for the CD, I charge $20, because not only do I have to learn the music to a higher standard a little earlier than expected, it is also my time in making sure the recordings are at a good standard.

It's up to you, but I find that if you have standards with this, parents are usually more than willing to pay the extra money if you give them the service.

O
O
IPlayPiano, I am interested in what you decided to do. I have been doing alot of accompanying the last 12 years or so. I always quote a price which includes the performance and two 30 minute rehearsals. Recently, I got a Roland HPi-7, and I can make awesome midi and audio recordings, and burn cds. I am thinking of changing my pricing next year, offering the additional service of making a recording for x amount. I agree with the others that nothing takes the place of live rehearsal. With some students, however, they really need a recording they can use to practice with at home. This was a very good question for the forum!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission