2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2041112 03/01/13 01:45 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
A recent Musician's Way blog entry says that a positive mood enhances creativity

http://musiciansway.com/blog/2013/02/inner-smile/

It cites this article
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101215113253.htm

The irony to me is capsulized by what a young amateur songwriter said to me: "I need my heart broken again so I can write another song." I tried to convince him that he didn't need to do that, but only got so far. I told him there was a second kind of love song, that kind that helps get you the girl. Then she breaks your heart, and go back to the first type smile . For beginner amateur songwriters writing songs with lyrics I'd guess about a five to one ratio of dark themes to upbeat themes, so what the young man said fits what I observe.

Many poets that I have met tend towards dark moods, as do more than a few songwriters. I observe that the isolation, the darkness, seems to correlate with the creativity. For some songwriters their best work has come from dark and difficult times in their lives.

One songwriter put it this way, if everything is going well and you are happy, you don't feel the urge to peel away and hide and write a song or an album. You are too busy enjoying the good times.

Anyway, forum composers weigh in. Has your best work come during difficult times in your life? If you have met other creative people, what about them? Same? Different?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think creativity is an outlet to lifes problems...

I think creativity is a way to celebrate life

I have no idea because my works come to me in various stages of my life, from good to bad to awful to great... :-/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I pick up a paper and I read a story about a child that never made it to this world shortly before she should have arrived. I write 'innocent one'. Certain circumstances I find very moving but in general I just like the sound of sounds put together.

rada

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm with Nikolas.

Plenty of happy people write sad pieces, and plenty of sad people don't write a thing.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
If I'm depressed (doesn't happen too often, but it does happen) then I don't feel like writing anything. If I'm happy I'm enjoying the good times. I write when I'm motivated and feel I have something to contribute, much like my posting here.

For the newbie it may be that life experiences serve as inspiration and a way to purge oneself. I'd like to get to the place where my greatest inspiration comes from a commission. I guess that would have me feeling pretty positive so I agree with the article! ;-)

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
There exists no correlation that I can discern between my music and my mental or physical state at the time of creating it. There is sometimes retrospective correlation, "emotion recollected in tranquillity", but that is a different thing. This property is a double-edged sword. I am never stuck for a rapid flow of abstract ideas, but I find creating to a prescribed mood or even an association, very difficult. Any titles or programmes to any of my pieces or improvisations, almost without exception, are assigned retrospectively. Listening to the results I think, "Oh, that accurately depicts such and such ! I'll call it so and so !". But it is always completely unrelated to whatever state I was in at the time of its creation. Very many images might float about in my mind while creating a piece or improvisation, or while listening to it afterwards, but they are all usually mundane and silly, and would appear nonsense to anybody else if described.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Anyway, forum composers weigh in. Has your best work come during difficult times in your life? If you have met other creative people, what about them? Same? Different?

I can't really speak much about musical composition, since that is not my strength. I dabble at it, but nothing short of trifling comes out. However, I can talk about just about any form of artistic creation that uses words.

I have found that my best work comes when I am working/creating. I have also found that my most creative ideas also come when I am working/creating. Creativity spawns more creativity, so the more you are working/creating, the more creative you will be and the easier the work will come.

There is a quote in Stephen King's novel, On Writing, which I will paraphrase. Basically, he said, "I do my best work when I'm working."

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission