2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm getting ready to sell my home and had the realtor's house cleaner over to clean before my open house. She raved about my piano and said that in over 15 years of cleaning houses, she has never seen a piano in any of the homes she has cleaned. So sad...

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
In more wealthy circles having a grand piano in the home is a must-have for decor. Maybe the kids will give it a try, too, but that's just an added bonus.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I think that idea has come and go. This lady cleans for some very wealthy folks. I work with some affluent scientists, none of whom own a piano. The idea that piano lessons are a must for a well rounded education seems to be held with the Asian families around here though. One of my Indian colleagues even had his deaf daughter take lessons for a few years.

C
C
Interesting....there are still a lot of homes around here with pianos in them. Be they old locally made uprights, older consoles, or something more extravagant.

I know at least three families with older pianos that their kids are or did learn on. And the wealthy family I work for have a beaufiful grand, even though no one in the family plays. I guess they fall into the "must have for decor" category. Although theirs is a player, so they use it when entertaining. The previous owners of our home had a player grand in it, too.

My mom at one point had her own upright and their church's baby grand both in her living room at once. smile

From the title of the thread, I thought someone had stolen your piano...

Glad to hear it is still there. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
OP Offline
What a thought! I suspect no one would challenge people taking a piano out of a home. Wouldn't occur to them that it was a theft. It could happen....

M
M
Originally Posted by FormerlyFlute
I think that idea has come and go. This lady cleans for some very wealthy folks. I work with some affluent scientists, none of whom own a piano. The idea that piano lessons are a must for a well rounded education seems to be held with the Asian families around here though. One of my Indian colleagues even had his deaf daughter take lessons for a few years.

Also in Jewish and Italian communities like in Boca where I teach.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The super rich aside, I think today's affluent families' biggest spend for their homes is the home theater. I don't mean the $500 all-in-one home theater kit from a big box store. I mean these are often, though not necessarily, a dedicated threater room with an 80 - 100" screen, and speakers and gear that's easily cost somewhere in the high 5 figures. These home theater rooms also double for video gaming. This has replaced the piano as the central focus for home entertainment. For most of my co-workers, the piano is not part of their consciousness as being part of their homes.

The personal computers, tablets and smartphones we now use 24 hours a day also contribute to take the focus away from playing musical instruments. People are more interested in watching every episode of Breaking Bad or some such thing until they fall into a coma than learning music.

The RPT (piano tech) in my area tells me that not many of his clients own grand pianos in his service area, with the exception of a few churches and community colleges. He said you have to get closer to the Atlanta or Macon area before you find many grand pianos in homes.

I felt really blessed when he told me this, to know that I have a wonderful, brand-name semi-concert grand piano in my home. I just wish I could actually play it... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Online Content
I think it would be interesting to know the total number of acoustic pianos plus digitals/hybrids purchased in 2012 compared to 2002, 1992, etc. While the total number of acoustics bought has certainly decreased I think it's possible that if one includes digitals the total is not that much lower than previous decades.

Any dealers or industry professionals know these figures?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Proud digital piano owner. Who wants to play piano at home anyways? Better to play it on the stage!

Casio Privia PX-150

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well if you watch sitcoms, it seems
that every house in the US has a
piano in the living room.

E
ec Offline
E
Watch HGTV's Selling New York and Selling LA, or flip through an upscale interior decoration mag. Most pricy condos and apartments feature the iconic grand piano as status symbol (even if no one ever plays it). I was raised in a modest bungalow where every penny counted, but my parents somehow managed to buy a brand new walnut console piano when I was 10.

My folks are in their late 80s now, but that little piano still sits in their living room. Without it, I probably wouldn't have turned out to be the music lover I am today ♪ ♪ ♪

ec
Long Beach, CA

Chopin - Nocturnes, Op. 62
Chopin, Fantaisie, Op. 49
Mozart - Fantasia, Op. 475; Sonata, C minor, K. 457
Bach -Toccata, D Major

M
M
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
The super rich aside, I think today's affluent families' biggest spend for their homes is the home theater.

And it's a damned shame. TV is passive entertainment. Playing a musical instrument is a hundred times more engaging, and ultimately far more satisfying. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I think a home theater would be great. A big, shiny, concert grand opening to comfortable seats. Oh wait, that's a recital hall. Let's see if we can make it become 'all the rage!'

If not, a nice console or studio will do just fine. Every home should have one.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What about that story about the Kawai Concert Grand stolen from a fancy apartment in Manhattan by someone who had leased the Apartment?? Was just recently on Pianist's Corner I think. It fortunately was recovered.

Musica 71
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
From the title of the thread, I thought someone had stolen your piano...

Glad to hear it is still there. smile

Rick

smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I believe that the number of pianos in homes varies by community. Here it is pretty normal.

If the house cleaner works mainly with the realtor, her sample may be biased toward more mobile families who would probably be less likely to have a piano.

Learner
When I was growing up in a small town in the South in the 50s and 60s, almost everyone had at least an old untuned upright in the living room, and little girls all had to suffer through at least a couple of years of lessons until the parents realized they had no talent. Of my closest 3 or 4 friends, all have pianos; my two grown daughters have pianos. So maybe all is not lost quite yet. smile

However, it does seem that affordable new homes do not have a good place to put a piano (just as they did not have a good place to put a TV in the late 40s and early 50s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission