2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2039750 02/26/13 06:07 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hi.
Does anyone have sort of like brochures with information about piano repairs? (where it explains the basic procedures) Not for me to make the repairs, but to learn about them instead.
Thanks,
Samuel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Send a PM to Chuck Behm. He might be able to help you out. Something else to check out is "Piano Manual" by John Bishop and Graham Barker.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for mentioning me, Marty. I've have, in fact, been in the process of producing a series of brochures or promos over various repair topics which are designed for use by the technician to give to his customer along with an estimate. I've mentioned these here before, have posted examples, and have made them available at my website at www.pianopromoproductions.com.

If you would like to take a look at the write-ups I've done to date, there are previews of available topics which you can look over. I know that a number of my customers are posting the promos on their own websites, but whether or not they want to make that generally known is of course up to them. Thanks again, Chuck Behm

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Chuck,

I was following the progress of the 'separated pinblock' thread and that's why I recommended that greatlifestyle contact you.

Your brochures are a great idea to provide the info to the piano owner before a major repair.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Thanks, Marty - As far as I'm concerned, the main advantage to the promos is that they save time. I got the idea for them when I realized I was giving the same sales pitches on needed repairs time and time again. That, and the fact that I was trying to help the customer visualize things where an actual picture could have done the job so much easier. The promos are intentionally loaded with photos. I'm personally a very visual learner, and seeing pages of text with nary a photo causes me to avoid reading altogether. When there are photos, I'll read the text just to clarify in my mind what the pictures are about.

Now, I just staple whatever promos apply to an estimate, and let the customer take their time in reading them over. With the clarity of the text and the photos, the customer usually seems to "get it" as far as the need for the repair.

I started out just making the promos for my own use, but once I got the first couple done and showed them to other technicians I concluded that others could benefit from them as well. Thus I started making them available to other technicians, and eventually put together the website. As I've said before, anyone who would like a complimentary promo made up for them to try them out, I'm happy to oblige. Chuck

P.S. As author of the "Small Shop" series I get emails almost daily from technicians who are trying to build their business and make a go at being a piano technician. Knowing that I have some ability to write (I taught high school students basic writing skills for 36 years), I decided long ago that I would dedicate whatever talents I possessed to doing what I could to help technicians stay in the business and flourish. The promos that I produce are a part of that effort.

BTW - I've heard people say that piano tuning / repair is a dying art. I don't want that prediction to come true. It's a great profession, and if everyone makes an effort to share what they can to help others succeed, it should be around for a long, long time.

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Chuck Behm! They are really useful!

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission