2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2039470 02/26/13 09:15 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
The brass wheels, pedals, and name on the fallboard and on the side of my piano have all become tarnished over the years. I'm afraid to use regular brass polisher on it in fear that it would affect the finish of the wood around it (especially for the fallboard and name on the side - I think I can be careful with the pedals and wheels).

What do you recommend to get it back to the bright brass finish?

Last edited by Morodiene; 02/26/13 09:15 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Morodiene,

For the wheels and pedals, I'd use a product called Flitz, a standard in the industry. For the fallboard and side piano names, do NOT use Flitz but I can't tell you what you should use.

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
Morodiene,

I've used Brasso before on my pedals without issue. However, I did apply some masking tape around the wood to ensure none of the product touched the wood. A little bit of being careful did the trick and the pedals look great!

Good luck!

M
OP Offline
M
Good to know! I have some Brasso, so I'll give that a try with the tape idea.

Anyone have ideas for the inlaid brass?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Make sure you use "painters" masking tape-
will leave little to no residue when
removed.

For the inlay, I would use q-tips and
a steady hand. smile

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Q-tips are quite abrasive and could affect the surrounding finish. Very gentle buffing with a dry micro-fiber cloth might add a little "sparkle." Check with the manufacturer for their recommendation.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Be really sure that it is inlaid brass! Most of the time what looks like inlaid brass is just a thin decal with a clear coat over it. If it's a decal any attempt to polish it will destroy it. You might want to contact the manufacturer of your piano if you aren't sure. I'd advise you to leave the fallboard alone. You can't hurt the other solid (uncoated) brass parts though.

On the fall board brass letters on my pianos, I took some 0000 steel wool with some water/dish-soap mixture (for lubrication and to prevent excessive scratching) and lighly buffed the brass letters. It made them look like new.

Then, I went over the area with some piano polish. It still looks good.

I used the same process for the brass pedals.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by ando

Be really sure that it is inlaid brass! Most of the time what looks like inlaid brass is just a thin decal with a clear coat over it. If it's a decal any attempt to polish it will destroy it. You might want to contact the manufacturer of your piano if you aren't sure. I'd advise you to leave the fallboard alone. You can't hurt the other solid (uncoated) brass parts though.

I am positive it's inlaid, I know what you're talking about with decals, because you can feel the edge (my Schubert upright has them) . On the Petrof there's no edge feeling to them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Rickster
On the fall board brass letters on my pianos, I took some 0000 steel wool with some water/dish-soap mixture (for lubrication and to prevent excessive scratching) and lighly buffed the brass letters. It made them look like new.

Then, I went over the area with some piano polish. It still looks good.

I used the same process for the brass pedals.

Good luck!

Rick

So it didn't scratch the surface around the letters?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So it didn't scratch the surface around the letters?

Yes, but ever so slightly and not very visible. The piano polish removed the slight scratches afterward.

Also, you have to be really careful not to bear down too hard on the surface... I guess nothing is 100% efficient.

The brilliance of the brass letters in the fall board far out-shine any minute scratches as a result of the process.

As with anything regarding the finish on a piano, there are some risks involved. You might prefer hiring a pro.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
There are some non-ammonia brass polishes that might be good. Try them on a hidden spot on the finish first, to see if there is a reaction.

Afterwards, you can carefully coat the brass with some clear nail gloss, which should keep it shiny. Again, try it on a hidden spot first.

Semipro Tech
M
OP Offline
M
Great idea, BDB! Once I get the letters shiny this should help protect it. I will have to muster up the courage to try some of these things, but definitely the more experimental things I will test it out first. Thanks, everyone!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
A problem with Brasso is that if some gets into any cracks or crevices it dries to a white powder which is virtually impossible to get out again. This might be the case around the edges of your letters.

I would be very careful if using masking tape to check that no damage will be caused when removing it.

If you want to coat the newly-cleaned brass, might not a proper brass lacquer be better than nail gloss?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by David-G
A problem with Brasso is that if some gets into any cracks or crevices it dries to a white powder which is virtually impossible to get out again. This might be the case around the edges of your letters.

Would a toothbrush help to make sure everything's removed? I'm not going to use the Brasso on the lettering, just wheels and pedals.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think that for the wheels and pedals it should be fine. But in my experience, dried Brasso in crevices can be really difficult to get out.

C
C
I used the Miracle Polishing and Cleaning Cloth (yes really) on my Yamaha. I just rubbed with the cloth and followed with a paper towel. Cleaned up the logo quickly.

It really worked well. I bought it at a hardware store in Riyadh when I, and the piano, lived there.

Miracle Cloth

C
C
How old is your piano and in what shape is the brass? If they are old and not covered with a lacquer then a polishing compound should work pretty good. I've found that Weiman Brass and Copper polish works really good for the final polish and detarnishing.

I've been doing a tremendous amount of brass polishing lately, but mine is like 90 yrs old and some of it was in pretty scratched shape. It's all dismantled so I don't have any problem with getting polish on the wood or finish. For the pedals and the castors I had to file them with fine jewelers needle files to get rid of bigger scratches and dings, then sanding to even it out, starting with 400 grit all the way through 4000 (600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2500), then a red compound (from Dreml) with a felt cloth, and finishing up with a white compound (Weiman) and a soft cotton cloth. They came out very nice. Basically the same process with all of the other parts, except most of them didn't need any more than a little minor filing, if any. They'll all ultimately be sprayed with brass lacquer to keep them from tanishing, but I haven't gotten to that part yet.

If your's is in as bad shape as mine was you may have to go somewhere along the same route. If you decide to lacquer it just be sure to do a final polishing with a fine compound everywhere and wipe it clean, ensuring to NOT touch any part of it with your skin. Finger oil causes tarnishing that could show through the lacquer. It's a lot of work but soooo worth it, especially if you plan to keep it for any length of time.

You might want to practice on some scrap or non-conspicuous pieces before you dig in to the "show pieces" though.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by cyclotron
I used the Miracle Polishing and Cleaning Cloth (yes really) on my Yamaha. I just rubbed with the cloth and followed with a paper towel. Cleaned up the logo quickly.

It really worked well. I bought it at a hardware store in Riyadh when I, and the piano, lived there.

Miracle Cloth

Sounds like it would work great! I'll try and get me one of these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Ran across your post on the use of the Miracle all purpose Polishing Cloth and it seemed like the quickest and least invasive method of polishing the brass inlaid letters on a fallboard. Ordered a 12" cloth online, received it in two days and in less than 10 minutes the YAMAHA name was as brilliant and polished as the day it left the factory. Glad I followed your method. I highly recommend this product for not only pianos, but many other uses around the house. I AM NOT associated with this company in any manner. Just happy to have found it here on the forum. D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission