2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I'm trying to figure out what size grand piano (5'1" - 5'10") will fit in my living room. A local dealer came by with a template and said I should add approximately 18 inches for the bench. Piano Buyer says allow 2 to 3 feet for the bench - quite a difference. The piano players in my house are one small adult and two children. Any thoughts on whether 18 inches is really enough?

Thank you.

Marjorie

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I would go with 2'-3' to allow comfort when sitting down and then sliding the bench forward. 18" is probably when the bench is fully slid forward and under the keyboard in a stored position.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I am 6'3" and I can sit comfortably at my piano with the bench out approximately 2 feet, but we all sit differently. Why not sit at the bench in the showroom and measure where you are and where you feel comfortable? Then you will know.

Good Luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
B
BDB Offline
B
What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!

Semipro Tech
M
OP Offline
M
The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.

JG
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
At least 24". That's what I need to be comfortable playing.

Originally Posted by Marjorie2
The salesman showed me at my house how he would play the piano and the back of the bench was just 18 inches from the front of the piano while he played. (He showed me on my current upright.) I don't know if he was really comfortable though! I have limited space and "every inch counts". I don't think I can get three feet, but it sounds like I should plan for more than 18 inches. Thank you for your help.

This guy is just trying anything he can to get a sale. You deserve better. Don't let him sell you a piano you cannot properly use. Get a new salesman.

Casio Privia PX-150

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Marjorie, the answer actually depends a bit on the width of your chair or bench, but in any case 18 inches is not quite enough room for it. 24 inches would be ok as a minimum, and 30 inches or more would be optimal.

R
R
Originally Posted by BDB
What you need is the length of the piano, plus the distance from the front of the keys to the dampers, plus enough room for the technician to pull the action out that far. In a small piano, the middle measurement will be about 18", while a large piano, it could be 24". The latter measurement depends on the technician's middle!

Much truth in this insight. After watching my piano worked on (routine maintenance and addressing some minor issues with the action), I would strongly recommend allowing enough space for the tech to pull out the action and move it safely to his workbench.

M
M
In order to not feel cramped, you will want to have at least 3 feet I think. It's not necessarily for while you are playing, but just for some extra space. 2 feet would be the minimum, however.

What would be at the other end of the piano? A wall, or some furniture? If the latter, you may want to consider removing some things from your living room to make way. If it's another wall, there's not much you can do about that wink.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted by Supply
You may want to consider that after playing, you normally have to slide the bench back to get up and get out.

Great point.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Consider also that if you have a wall immediately behind you, you'll get a lot of reflected sound back.... and in such of a cramped environment, playing becomes uncomfortable pretty quick... add space around for heavy draperies / sound panels / anything that can tame the sound of a grand if you will put it in a corner with -you- in the corner.

my 2c.

E
ec Offline
E
Remember too that different players will place the bench closer too or further back from the piano. I prefer sitting forward with the bench further back, and have played in homes where the wall was so close behind me that I felt squashed toward the keyboard. Go for a generous measurement here, both for comfort and for the sound reasons expressed earlier.

ec
Long Beach, CA

Chopin - Nocturnes, Op. 62
Chopin, Fantaisie, Op. 49
Mozart - Fantasia, Op. 475; Sonata, C minor, K. 457
Bach -Toccata, D Major

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission