2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
What would be the average price for replacing the whole set of lifter elbows on a piano?

How much would you normally charge?

Thanks

a.k.a. drop lifter elbows

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi - Just curious if you're asking as a technician or an owner? Also, are you talking plastic or wooden replacements?

If you're a piano owner who's "price shopping" remember that the cheapest price is not always the best price. You generally get what you pay for. Chuck Behm

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Chuck Behm
Hi - Just curious if you're asking as a technician or an owner? Also, are you talking plastic or wooden replacements?

If you're a piano owner who's "price shopping" remember that the cheapest price is not always the best price. You generally get what you pay for. Chuck Behm

I'm asking as an owner. And I would like plastic ones.
I would pay for a decent work. How much would it be?

thanks

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
'Best to call around locally. I doubt if any of us would know what the rate would be in Mexico.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by David Jenson
'Best to call around locally. I doubt if any of us would know what the rate would be in Mexico.

I suppose so, but how much would you charge me if I were in the US?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The problem is that prices vary heavily, depending on where you live (where the service is provided). Tuning, for example, could be well under $100 in one are, perhaps $85, while in another area $140+ is the norm. So it really won't help you if I say that I will do this work you inquire about for 1/2 of what it costs where you live.

JG
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by greatlifestyle

With me it would probably be close to twice the tuning price, but my unworthy competitor, the Piano Bandito, would smile and ask, "How much do you have, Senor?"

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Dunno about the price - but it's more than replacing the elbows. A quality job includes cleaning under keys, filing hammers, removing the action, tightening loose screws, repairing loose or damaged parts, regulating the action, and cleaning up all the old elbow debris. This is the work you should be pricing, not just an elbow replacement.

M
M
I just did a set.
Took about 4 hours and two trips including removing the action, replacing the action and adjusting lost motion.
If I would have know what I was up against ahead of time, I would have brought the parts and done the work in the piano. True, it was easier and faster on the bench but it would have saved a trip and the action removal and replacement.
I figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours for my next one. Plus parts.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by greatlifestyle

With me it would probably be close to twice the tuning price, but my unworthy competitor, the Piano Bandito, would smile and ask, "How much do you have, Senor?"

HA!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Bob's exactly right about there being more to it than simply swapping out the parts. If you would like a little more information about the repair, check out "Plastic Elbow Replacement." If there are other topics such as those that Bob mentioned (filing the hammers, regulating, cleaning under the keys, etc.)that you would like more information about, let me know and I'll be glad to post a link. Best wishes, Chuck Behm

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Setting aside the lame humor, I recall one memorable elbow replacement job where the elbows broke at the bend, but would not let go at the whippen pin. I had to make a second trip with a soldering gun to remove all 88 of them by melting the plastic and cleaning up the melted mess. THAT job was expensive, but the lady understood completely.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
You can't do a quality job with the action in the piano. Removing elbows with the action in the piano results in plastic in your eyes - broken whips on elbow removal, and a nice back ache. Why put yourself though that? By the time elbows need replacing, there are other issues that require removal of the action. I do, however recommend a comfy recliner, TV, and your favorite beverage when screwing those elbows onto the lifter wire.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's just too soft and cushy for me, Bob. I feel somehow uneasy taking an action home to a heated well-lit shop. Being a crusty New Englander, I always feel that I should suffer a bit for my money.

Actually, I had borrowed my wife's tiny little car that day and it wouldn't hold an action safely. We've since made sure she has a SUV so I won't get caught in that predicament again.

Yea, I got a backache out of that job and plugged sinuses from the smell of the burned plastic but I felt quite noble for my suffering. wink

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission