2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Well, I went ahead and bought the 1978 Acrosonic console off Craigslist. I'll need to have it tuned, but the kids are having a great time with it already. And I'll admit, I sat down and tried to remember enough to play something, too. My daughter had to drag me away. smile

It's a bit crowded in this spot, but this is seriously the only interior wall in the entire first floor that doesn't have a heat vent in it! And I have nowhere else to put my favorite reading chair, so we're making do as best we can with this placement. I'll re-center the artwork over the piano tonight. And the used piano lamp I ordered off eBay showed up the same day as the piano!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A lovely piano and a lovely home!! Looks so inviting!

Congratulations, and enjoy!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Really nice piano. I hope your family gets a lot of enjoyment from it. I'm no "design diva" but you might want to consider changing walls with the piano and the chair, or you might also try putting the chair straight on the short wall instead of in the corner. Just a thought, but it's also lovely just where it is. Congratulations. Nobody ever learned how to play a piano without a piano to learn on, so you are taking the first steps in a lifetime of enjoyment for your family. Athletes are pretty much done in their 30's and from there slow down considerably, but music can last a lifetime. It may not be as good for the body, but it's good for the soul.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Pianolance
I'm no "design diva" but you might want to consider changing walls with the piano and the chair, or you might also try putting the chair straight on the short wall instead of in the corner. Just a thought, but it's also lovely just where it is.

There's a heat vent on the short wall, or I'd have put the piano there. And I also tried the chair straight, but it looked odd....you either wound up with a big square space in the corner, or the seat of the chair partially blocked in by the piano. I also need to consider the placement of the other furniture in the room and it's relationship to the fireplace, which is the focal point. Or was, pre-piano, LOL! smile

There's another spot in the room that would have been perfect, aesthetically speaking, but it was too near the fireplace and would partially block a heat vent on one side and be near an exterior wall on the other. So we opted for putting it in the best spot for the instrument, rather than where it would look best.

Last edited by CStrong73; 02/26/13 04:58 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!

The piano looks great and it will bring so much enjoyment. Take your time with the Waltz of the Furniture and try all sorts of placements. I have to admit, that is one big chair!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Congratulations!

I have to admit, that is one big chair!

Thanks!

Yes, it's a monst er of a chair, but OOOhhhh so comfy! My favorite piece of furniture in the entire house. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That's a nice set up and a nice looking piano. Like your floors, too. I hope the piano plays as nice as it looks. They say the Acrosonics are some of the best consoles ever made.

Gary
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That set up looks pretty cozy to me. I'm imagining you in the comfy chair reading while the kids practice.

Learner
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats! It looks great in your room. I hope you and your family have many years of wonderful music with it!

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I'm no "design diva" ....

Pianolance,

I think you have just officially become PW's "Design Diva"! wink

Congratulations on committing your home to be a home of music. Statistically your children will do better in math, reading, and science, they will learn languages easier, and will exhibit higher GPAs than children without the music experience.

Not to mention - Music is fun!

Thanks for the pictures.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I'm no "design diva" ....

Congratulations on committing your home to be a home of music. Statistically your children will do better in math, reading, and science, they will learn languages easier, and will exhibit higher GPAs than children without the music experience.

Very interesting - I hadn't heard that before. Although I do wonder if there is a correlation in that children with a natural aptitude for math, science, etc. might also have more of a natural aptitude for music and therefore the desire to learn?

I only question that because my 8 year old, who is the piano player in the family, is a math whiz....I don't think she's missed a single point on a math test all year. And my 10 year old, who's the flute player in the family (she just got invited to join the elementary school honors band) reads at an adult level and aces every science test. wink

Come to think of it....I played flute and piano, was in the band and orchestra, and I was an honors student and National Merit Scholar.

Now I'm off to surf the web for more info on music and scholastic aptitude. LOL!
Thanks!!

M
M
Am I the only one who can't see the picture? GAAAHHH! I want to see, I want to see wink

Rob

M
M
Its important to remember the difference between correlation and causality, but I do think at the very least playing music helps wake you up and get your brain focused and the dedication of regular practice probably has implications toward being more disciplined in all aspects of life. Through high school my first two periods every day were either band, chorus, or orchestra, and it was certainly a great way to start off the day. I'm now an engineer, so it certainly didn't hurt wink

Rob

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by miscrms
Its important to remember the difference between correlation and causality, but I do think at the very least playing music helps wake you up and get your brain focused and the dedication of regular practice probably has implications toward being more disciplined in all aspects of life. Through high school my first two periods every day were either band, chorus, or orchestra, and it was certainly a great way to start off the day. I'm now an engineer, so it certainly didn't hurt wink

Rob

Good point. Not to mention it's a great emotional outlet. Especially for someone like my 8 year old who has emotional highs and lows and hasn't quite learned how to control and/or express her emotions yet. I'm hoping the piano lessons instill some discipline, and the music itself provides her with an outlet to express herself. smile

No idea why you can't see the photos?????

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hated Mom's Acrosonic when I was a kid and had to practice. This was around 1954.
Now I play it and enjoy it whenever I go to her house.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission