2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Jean Claude (whom I note is French) has more correct English than many of the English.

To bring us back to pianos and music, at the weekend Howard Goodall presented a BBC TV programme on the revolution in music at the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth. He said Erik Satie, whom his teacher described as the laziest student of all time, started things off in France before Debussy and Ravel appeared on the scene.

'Way off topic, but ...'

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del
...If, fifty years ago, someone had told me that tonight I would find myself in a Korean restaurant in a large Chinese city along with people from China, Korea, Australia, America and "Europe" discussing—with the aid of two translators—the history, future, culture and business of the piano I'd have said they were completely wacko!

We truly do live in interesting times.

ddf

What did you order and how was the food?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
Del Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by Del
...If, fifty years ago, someone had told me that tonight I would find myself in a Korean restaurant in a large Chinese city along with people from China, Korea, Australia, America and "Europe" discussing—with the aid of two translators—the history, future, culture and business of the piano I'd have said they were completely wacko!

ddf

I didn't order, my hosts did the honors. But in typical Korean fashion there was a variety; it usually starts with a half-dozen or so small dishes of appetizers. Being Korean, it goes without saying that there was plenty of kimchee. There was a variety of pa-jeon (vegetable pancakes). Partly in deference to me—my hosts know that I enjoy it—the main courses were various cuts of beef and pork sliced very thin and prepared at the table on 20 mm thick (give or take) glass platters heated over an open flame. It was excellent. The final course was a spicy vegetable soup (also prepared at the table) and served with rice.

The Australian gentlemen brought some excellent wine from their homeland which they shared with those of us having a taste for red wine. And of course there was plenty of Baijiu (Chinese “white liquor”)—which may explain a lot….

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Del
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by Del

ddf

I didn't order, my hosts did the honors. But in typical Korean fashion there was a variety; it usually starts with a half-dozen or so small dishes of appetizers. Being Korean, it goes without saying that there was plenty of kimchee. There was a variety of pa-jeon (vegetable pancakes). Partly in deference to me—my hosts know that I enjoy it—the main courses were various cuts of beef and pork sliced very thin and prepared at the table on 20 mm thick (give or take) glass platters heated over an open flame. It was excellent. The final course was a spicy vegetable soup (also prepared at the table) and served with rice.

The Australian gentlemen brought some excellent wine from their homeland which they shared with those of us having a taste for red wine. And of course there was plenty of Baijiu (Chinese “white liquor”)—which may explain a lot….

ddf

Hearing about the thinly sliced meat reminded me of eating shabu shabu in Tokyo. In the center of the table was a boiling pot of dashi (Japanese broth), into which the diners waved very thin slices of raw beef that cooked almost instantly. Then the broth, flavored by the beef, and fortified with vegetables, was served as soup to end the meal.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Withindale
Jean Claude (whom I note is French) has more correct English than many of the English.

To bring us back to pianos and music, at the weekend Howard Goodall presented a BBC TV programme on the revolution in music at the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth. He said Erik Satie, whom his teacher described as the laziest student of all time, started things off in France before Debussy and Ravel appeared on the scene.

'Way off topic, but ...'

Withindale, 'whom' in your first sentance, which I take to imply a slight rebuke to me, is quite wrong. Whom can only be used for the objective case; who for the subjective is invariable. You would not write 'Jean-Claude whom is French' would you? However I forgive you because of your charming observation about my English.

It must be agreeable to be able to see TV programmes about Satie, Ravel and Debussy. French television generally seems to take the view that music started with Johnny Hallyday.

I must say that these descriptions of Korean and Japanese food sound splendid. Do you think it would work with horse?

J-C.

Edited for appalling spelling mistake.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 02/25/13 02:25 PM.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Howard Goodall, whom I note to be a composer, showed us how Debussy used the pentatonic scale and Rimsky Korsakov the octatonic.

You can find his Story of Music here for a week or two.

Korean cabbage, with or without horse, is an amazing dish.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Howard Goodall, whom I note to be a composer, showed us how Debussy used the pentatonic scale and Rimsky Korsakov the octatonic.

Alas, the BBC feed is not available in the States. UNLESS someone out there has some clever workaround...

Last edited by ClsscLib; 02/25/13 04:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
A
A
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Alas, the BBC feed is not available in the States. UNLESS someone out there has some clever workaround...

You can use a proxy server as explained here. Notwithstanding what that page says, you should not even consider a free proxy server. It costs a lot of money to provide the bandwidth a bunch of video-streaming users require, and the free services have to pay for that bandwidth somehow. The way they pay for it is by intruding on your web viewing or by harvesting information you'd prefer not to share, like credit card numbers.

A couple of friends with a nephew on the US Modern Biathlon team used one of these services during the Olympics and were extremely pleased with it.

AndyJ
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Well done Withendale. You have correctly worked out that by changing the verb from the present to the infinitive you can alter the case structure of the clause, in the process allowing yourself to use 'whom' without error. No backsliding however! I should be very cross to find you writing 'Howard Goodall, whom I note is a composer' in future missives.

On a more general level, hasn't all this chat about 'proxy servers' taken things rather off topic?

J-C.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jean Claude

Well done Withendale. You have correctly worked out that by changing the verb from the present to the infinitive you can alter the case structure of the clause, in the process allowing yourself to use 'whom' without error. No backsliding however! I should be very cross to find you writing 'Howard Goodall, whom I note is a composer' in future missives.

On a more general level, hasn't all this chat about 'proxy servers' taken things rather off topic?

J-C.

Indeed. Let's get back to discussing English grammar.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Del
I didn't order, my hosts did the honors.

Del,

whenever you might be back in Korea - and have the chance to order, just try Gun Mandu (pronounced "goon mon doo"). They are fingerfood of quite spicy minced meat, fried and wrapped in a Dim Sum-like bakery. They are normally served with a spicy soy sauce with sesame.

Whenever I am in a good Korean restaurant, I could eat Gun Mandu alone even if the other dishes are also mostly GREAT.
smile

If anybody likes spicy East Asean types of cooking, also check out chinese Sechuan style.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

J-C.

Indeed. Let's get back to discussing English grammar.

On the other hand this site does provide great learning opportunities. Up until this evening I thought that a Proxy Server was a stand-in waiter. I may not yet be altogether clear what a PS is but at least I have some idea what it is not.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Del
[quote=Keith D Kerman]Why do you have Europe in quotation marks?

To protect the anonymity of the individual. Europe covered it without being specific. (He may not care but I hadn't asked....)

Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see why the anonymity of the person concerned is any more protected by the use of inverted commas.

Most Europeans I know, when they speak of Europe almost always speak of "Europe". And, most all appreciate their privacy.

Last edited by theJourney; 02/26/13 02:36 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
theJourney,

As Jean has already indicated: in terms of privacy or lack thereof, there is no difference between Europe and "Europe". There were also people from America at Del's table, and it wasn't necessary to adorn that continent's name with quotation marks / inverted commas. Why should Europe be different?

If I told you that I live in Africa, you wouldn't know any more about me than had I written "Africa".

But perhaps, like Jean, I am also being dense, and the inverted comma is indeed some great protector of anonymity...

Regards from "Africa".

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mark R.
theJourney,

As Jean has already indicated: in terms of privacy or lack thereof, there is no difference between Europe and "Europe". There were also people from America at Del's table, and it wasn't necessary to adorn that continent's name with quotation marks / inverted commas. Why should Europe be different?

If I told you that I live in Africa, you wouldn't know any more about me than had I written "Africa".

But perhaps, like Jean, I am also being dense, and the inverted comma is indeed some great protector of anonymity...

Regards from "Africa".

Just because Jean indicates something does not mean that that is the only valid answer or even correct.

Putting quotes around a word when writing, like using one's fingers in the air when talking, is often a device to imply the phrase "so-called" or to indicate irony or mocking or even to indicate the negation, among other things.

In the case of America, I imagine that there are few American citizens of individual states who do not consider themselves American. After all, it is one country. They are Floridians in the winter and New Yorkers in the summer but always Americans, for example.

In contrast, many citizens of individual countries on the European continent do not consider themselves to be European, but rather Italian, Romanian, Polish, Dutch, etc. They are from "Europe". In fact, a good many citizens of countries on the European continent feel a closer bond to America than to Bulgaria, for example. By referring to " Europe " one can emphasize one's distancing from the often nebulous European project. Africa generally refers to the African continent.

The privacy matter can be considered as distinct from the quotes. If a piano manufacturer were from a country such as France or Italy or Holland until recently that essentially only has one major manufacturer, then referring to " Europe " rather than the actual country they are from would provide them with respect and privacy since posting on a public bulletin board without their permission might be considered a breach of trust by those from cultures where privacy exists and is respected. He could also have said " the European continent " (quotes indicating the text that could have been inserted, not the literal inclusion of the punctuation.)

As to Africa, I am aware of no continent spanning project that is equivalent to the political organization of the Federal government of the United States of America that might encourage all Africans see themselves as citizens of one country called Africa nor to the far-reaching project of the European Union trying to unite different cultures and countries into one common market that might encourage citizens to distance themselves from such a project and refer to themselves being from " Africa".

If you were sincere when writing " Regards from ' Africa '" I would assume, given your stated location, that you might be indicating that you are setting yourself apart supporting the traditional Boer narrative that South Africa is a special, God given place, set apart for its new immigrants, not to be confused with all the rest of the basket case countries on the continent.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Del
[quote=Keith D Kerman]Why do you have Europe in quotation marks?

To protect the anonymity of the individual. Europe covered it without being specific. (He may not care but I hadn't asked....)

Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see why the anonymity of the person concerned is any more protected by the use of inverted commas.

Most Europeans I know, when they speak of Europe almost always speak of "Europe". And, most all appreciate their privacy.

I'm fascinated. How does one speak of "Europe" and how does it differ from speaking of Europe? A slight apologetic cough perhaps? A full-blown sneering drawl? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate inverted commas? Does one wriggle ones fingers in the air to indicate quotation marks?

I am deeply concerned that you may be mixing with the wrong set.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
The privacy matter can be considered as distinct from the quotes.

That's exactly what Jean Claude and I've been trying to say...

By the way, when I last looked, America was not a country, but a continent consisting of North and South America, encompassing several countries.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All this "conversation" about punctuation
is "fascinating".

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
By the way, when I last looked, America was not a country, but a continent consisting of North and South America, encompassing several countries.

Oh boy - this opens the door to the discussion of how many continents there are. One can make arguments for five, six, or seven.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Oh boy - this opens the door to the discussion of how many continents there are. One can make arguments for five, six, or seven.

Anyone want to debate the existence of Pangea? help
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission