2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2039105 02/25/13 04:22 PM
V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi, Im sorry If Im not in the right place here to ask my question. I am needing some help with learning the what the notes are off of the staff, where there are no lines telling me without going Face or everygood boy does fine or in the bass Bood boys do fine always and etc. I just dont understand how a person can just look at this and know what a note Is way up there, or way down there, If you know what I mean. Please if there is anyone that could help me with this I would truly appriciate It. Viki

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You and I are in the same boat... smile

You have to train yourself by sight/touch orientation to recognize the notes on the staff (quickly) and know where they are on the piano... takes a lot of practice. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
So there Isn't an easy way to learn this? Its really hard.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"""...Hi, Im sorry If Im not in the right place here to ask my question. I am needing some help with learning the what the notes are off of the staff, where there are no lines telling me without going Face or everygood boy does fine or in the bass Bood boys do fine always and etc. I just dont understand how a person can just look at this and know what a note Is way up there, or way down there, If you know what I mean. Please if there is anyone that could help me with this I would truly appriciate It. Viki
..."""

Your question is a good one. When you learn to play the piano, you learn all the notes around middle C. As you know, the piano has 88 keys. When you learn the notes on the staff after practicing and playing hour after hour, day after day, month after month and year after year, you will learn the notes and recognize them instantly when you read the music on your music stand. When you play the piano for a while you will have notes that as you say are way, way up high or way, way down low on the staff. Like anything when you do it everyday or read notes way up high or way down low, you recognize those notes easily.

Where you live, in a town or city, there are lots of houses, and lots of streets and sometimes these streets and houses look the same, but you know that as you go to the store or a friends house that you can quickly know what street or house to go to everytime. Well, when you play the piano, you will be able to know instantly where to go for those high up notes and the low down notes, too.

Start simple and work your way up to more sophisticated pieces... start with the basics... practice your scales and learn music theory. Enjoy the process!

Rick

P.S. I still catch myself whispering "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and "All Cows Eat Grass". smile

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah there is, just count up the notes wink So like when you're looking at "f" on the top line, (treble cleff) the next space is "g" the next line "a", the next space "b" and so on. Count downwards when the notes are below middle "C" wink Hope this helps smile

Last edited by wayne33yrs; 02/25/13 04:46 PM.
R
R
There are sites on the internet like Grand Staff Defender that really will help you learn what the notes are on the treble and bass staves and also above and below the staves. There are also apps for ipads, iphones, etc., that will help you learn. Grand Staff Defender is actually kind of fun to play so that's the one I'd recommend trying first.

Hope this helps.

Sandra

V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thank You so much for that Lesson on learning the Notes off the staff, WOW!! I guess then I had better get busy and learn as fast as I can because Im not a Kid anymore. Thanks I truly do appriciate your advice.

V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Cute! Im sure I will be doing that also. Thanks Allot

V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thank You Sandra! I will go and take a look at that right away

V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks! K Beaumont

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Viki, everybody has given you good advice. But I will tell you my secret for dealing with inconveniently high or low ledger lines: I cheat. laugh I count up or down laboriously by hand and then pencil in the name of the note right above or below it. After enough practice I don't need it any more and can then erase my cheats.

V
Viki Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Monica, Thank You for your advice. It looks like I have a long road ahead of me for learning these off of the ledger lines above & Below. Just hope It doesn't discourage me from learning. I went to your video of you playing, I have to tell you that It was Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with me. I absolutely Love the piano and Love listening and watching others play, Its very relaxing. Thanks again for your help.

M
M
it's just another version of learning to read. remember that took time and practice.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
R
R
Think of when you were learning the alphabet, and then learning to read. Remember how each word was a struggle? Did you think you'd EVER learn to scan a book?
Same with reading music. Yes, it takes time and practice. But the day will come when it's as easy as reading a book. Hey, even Richard Burton had to learn basic reading once too before he played Hamlet. I am certain he didn't learn the role off a recording.

I think that there is a website or two where the note is shown on the staff and you type in the letter. It rates your number of correct answers, and you can speed it up too as you get more confident.

Maybe some of the teachers here can give you a lead on that website.

R
R

Does anyone know of a site which drills mercilessly on chords? I can find them eventually, but want it to be like jackhammer fast. Thanks.

Last edited by riley80; 02/25/13 10:05 PM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Viki, everybody has given you good advice. But I will tell you my secret for dealing with inconveniently high or low ledger lines: I cheat. laugh I count up or down laboriously by hand and then pencil in the name of the note right above or below it. After enough practice I don't need it any more and can then erase my cheats.

Here's my latest'cheat'. If there's a ninth in the bass clef, I write 9th over it and the hand automatically goes for the Big Stretch, rather than trying to figure if it's an octave or ninth and blowing it.

I have also been known to write e.g. "All white keys" over a long passage of chords...... I can erase later.

@ riley80: here you have some nice chords drills: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Viki. Just learn where the C's are on the grand staff. There are five, from two ledger lines below the grand staff to two ledger lines above. Don't worry about the rest, rome was not built in a day.

By the way, did you know that the form of the G-clef is derived from the letter G, and that it identifies the note G.

And as for the F-clef, guess for yourself!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission