2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I was discussing music scores with my teacher and she said some scores have three voices. What did she mean? She said I am playing music currently with only two voices

I did not ask her to explain as I did not want to seem dumb

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
As far as I know, voicings refer to harmony tones. I goes back to singing in the chorus / choir. If you have 2 singers you have two voices, 3 singers ... 3w voices, etc ...

So, it may refer to the music you are playing only has 2 harmony tones at any given place in the music.

So, I guess that should mean that if you pay attention to how many notes you are playing simultaneously ... you should find a maximum of 2 at any given spot in the music.

Just an educated guess.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
A
Really, if your teacher says something you don't understand, ask! That's what you pay her for, right? A teacher should never mind explaining something. Not for the first time, and probably not in repeat either. Don't be shy smile

Anyway, piano music can have more than two voices. Bach's Inventions are especially well known for this, or Beethoven's famous Moonlight sonata. This may mean you play two melodies in the right hand, or with Moonlight, a heavy bass in the left hand, broken chords in the right, and melody in the right as well. It's tricky to play!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
K
K
Many pieces have multiple voices; particulary in the right hand parts. Chopin is an example. The melody line might contain held notes while others are played separately. Guitar players for instance often have to play 2 parts with one hand.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There are different kinds of music. The one you are the most familiar with probably has a melody in the RH, and an accompaniment in the LH consisting of chords. The most obvious of the other kind of music is in chorales for singers. You have two male voices, bass and tenor, and two female voices, alto and soprano. Each of them sings their own melody which you could play separately. At the same time they sound good together, because they are still harmonized and you could find a chord for each beat in which you hear all four voices. In between these two extremes, there can be melodies weaving in and out of instrumental music. That is what your teacher is talking about. You should ask her to show you by example. A good pianist will be able to play the hidden melody extra loud so that you can hear it. When we are beginners, our ears are less developed and we need it to be exaggerated. Your teacher can also underline or highlight hidden melodies so that you see them on paper.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There are several little examples on this site:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices

Learner
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by adultpianist
I was discussing music scores with my teacher and she said some scores have three voices. What did she mean? She said I am playing music currently with only two voices

I did not ask her to explain as I did not want to seem dumb

I would ask her if she took her medication. If she did, and she is still hearing the voices... time to up the dosage. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
[Linked Image]

voices

Hopefully that image will show up. If not, try cutting and pasting the link. The image there shows a simple segment of a score showing multiple voices. Notice on the treble clef that the first note of each triplet has two stems, one up and one down. The first note is being held as the rest of the triplet plays. If it were a choir singing, you could think of it as two voices in the choir singing the same note with one person holding the note for the full triplet and the other person singing the next two notes. That way, two voices are sounding at the same time. Of course, you could have a situation where both voices were singing completely different notes as well. And sometimes you'll have a situation where you see (for example) something like a quarter note in the the treble clef and a quarter rest directly above it. This is another thing that can occur when you have multiple voices, where the rest is for one voice and the note is for the other. Hope that makes sense. smile

Last edited by fizikisto; 02/23/13 02:02 PM.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
P.S. I concur with the advice to ask your teacher when you have questions. I'm a physics teacher rather than a piano teacher, but i get really frustrated with students who are too timid to ask questions. When my students ask, "Can I ask you a question?" I usually respond with "I hope so, otherwise it's going to be really hard for you to learn anything." smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I am far from shy or timid but I guess when it comes to music, I want to appear confident and know what is what and knowlegeable about stuff so sometimes when my teacher tells me something, I go home and look online and then go back and say yes I know what you mean. When she talks about voices in music I research online if I can and the next week we have a dicussion about it and I can respond with the knowledge I have looked up and she will be impressed that I know this stuff

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
adultpianist
No offense was intended. I understand the desire to figure things out on your own. In any case, I hope the concept of voices in music is more clear to you now. smile

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sooooo, did the explanations here help?

Learner
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Yes thanks

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
There are advantages to asking and advantages to finding out yourself. I've got to the point with my teacher that, more often than not, if I ask about something we both have a great discussion and sometimes both learn a new point.

Two voices hard - three voices, very tough. There was one of the variations of the Rameau Gavotte & Variations where I had to hear the three voices. Hands separate, voices separate practice is key. Also, write on the score to show the voices if you need to.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
adultpianist, as adult pianists (which I'm taking a leap and assuming you are wink ), we all struggle at first with feeling vulnerable in our student-teacher relationships - it's obviously something with which we rarely, if ever, experience in our adult lives. I can tell you from experience, though, that acting more knowledgeable and capable than we are just hurts us in the long run if nothing else, in the form of wasted time - time we could have been connecting with our teachers, both as students, and as friends.

And look at it this way, the sooner you get comfortable asking these questions, the more you and your teacher will learn from and about each other, the more you'll know and understand (this is important because it's often in respect to a relevant specific piece or topic that your teacher is talking with you about), and the sooner you'll be to reaching whatever long-term pianistic goals you may have.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
These explanations are great. It is much easier to recognize the voices when there are actual singers or different musical instruments than by looking at the score (at least for me!)

Adultpianist - I really agree with the others who encourage you to ask questions of your teacher - and NEVER think your question is dumb or that you look dumb. This is a new field - no one (especially your teacher!) expects you to know the answers.

Teachers LIKE to be asked. I know, I'm a teacher!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Very nice example, the one with the quarter notes (stems down) in the treble cleff and the triplets (stems up) in the same treble cleff. Thanks for this explanation, fizikisto! And thanks for the important question, adultpianist!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by fizikisto
P.S. I concur with the advice to ask your teacher when you have questions. I'm a physics teacher rather than a piano teacher, but i get really frustrated with students who are too timid to ask questions. When my students ask, "Can I ask you a question?" I usually respond with "I hope so, otherwise it's going to be really hard for you to learn anything." smile

thumb

When someone asks if they "can" ask me a question, I usually say, "Probably not, but I hope you try anyway." Or some variant. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by fizikisto

thumb

When someone asks if they "can" ask me a question, I usually say, "Probably not, but I hope you try anyway." Or some variant. smile

I have found that a simple response like "Sure" works well for encouraging questions.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
C
There are a good number of piano scores where the 3-4 voices are explicitly written out with multiple bass and treble clefs. This may also have been what your teacher was referring to.

Here's an example from a Debussy prelude.

[Linked Image]

Most of the score contains the 3 explicit and separate voices, usually with 1 voice in the bass, 1 in the treble, and 1 in the middle, moving between the bass and treble clefs.

This results in a score that in some places shows 2 bass clefs with 1 treble, or 1 bass clef + 2 treble.

Last edited by carlos88; 03/14/13 11:57 AM. Reason: bad editing!

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission