2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
The NY Post is reporting:

A world-class musician is humming the blues after a thief made off with his $140,000 concert grand piano from the Trump Place condo he naively sublet to a stranger.

Dong-Hyek Lim, a 28-year-old world-class musician, returned home to the $4,000-a-month condo he sublet to a mystery man missing his prized possession along with expensive clothing and an audio system. The piano has been tracked down at a Long Island piano shipper. The mysterious thief had accepted a $20,000 deposit from a San Francisco buyer.

Apparently he sub-leased his apartment, and the tenant stole the Yamaha CF-III (?) piano.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...iped-pad-article-1.1270371#ixzz2LglmsEgR

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
“Pianos don’t have insurance,” he told the Daily News Thursday. “Violins do. Violins can be stolen easily. A piano is not something you can put in your pocket.”

Yes they do...

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
I have separate insurance on my pianos. But I don't expect them to be stolen!

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Sounds like he didn't do a credit and background check on the renter either...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan like the pianist in that article but in a much more modest apartment than Dong.

I have joked with some people that although my piano is insured against damage and theft I'd really like to get a reduction and remove the theft part. Who's going to steal a 1000+ pound Mason Hamlin BB? But that was before I read this article.

Nice that they were able to recover the piano at the end of everything.

Some videos of him performing as a young boy and as an adult:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAhyj7iyFxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYg3VJyS6p4

The best performance of Libertango I have heard(4H with Alexandre Tharaud)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjZErlB2F0

A short bio. He has won many prizes and even rejected a third place prize in the Queen Elizabeth Competition.
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Lim-Dong-Hyek.htm

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/23/13 08:48 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Insurance.

The moment I had a delivery date for my new piano (and the previous one), I contacted my insurance company to arrange insurance. Similarly with my organ - they're both insured for replacement value (organ was second hand, piano went up by $10,000 between purchase and delivery).

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Where in the article did it say he was able to recover the piano? I read it and got that at the end of article the shipper would not release the piano.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan like the pianist in that article but in a much more modest apartment than Dong.

I have joked with some people that although my piano is insured against damage and theft I'd really like to get a reduction and remove the theft part. Who's going to steal a 1000+ pound Mason Hamlin BB? But that was before I read this article.

A short bio. He has won many prizes and even rejected a third place prize in the Queen Elizabeth Competition.

Casio Privia PX-150

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by adak
Where in the article did it say he was able to recover the piano? I read it and got that at the end of article the shipper would not release the piano.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

If the mover doesn't release the piano, this will probably end in a lawsuit, and the pianist will probably win, assuming he has proof of ownership. Though, I have to say... what an idiot!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Guy comes up a little short to be a proper Darwin Award contender, but I think we could grant him an Honorable Mention.

"Losing a piano?" Thanks to the second sub-lessee (but I don't really know who either of them are), from my luxury condo in the Trump Tower, and my clothes and stereo too.

And as if the dog hadn't eaten enough homework, "The shipper wouldn't return my stolen property, once the police traced it to his warehouse..."

Thrill Science, this story is thrilling--- I'll grant you that--- but it all seems SO improbable, I think either we're being had, or you are. A little early for April Fools Day, too. Think of the picture: the hapless pianist wandering naked through the streets of Manhattan, clothed only in a skimpy breechclout (in February) fashioned from the first sublease, with only a piano bench to shelter him and only the unplugged headphones from his stereo to keep his ears warm.

This story could be in every newspaper on earth and all the cable news channels, too, and I still wouldn't believe it.

Clef

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Now he has two firsts to his name:

1) First winner in a major competition to reject his 3rd place prize, arguing that the judges were biased against him.

2) First concert pianist to have his concert grand stolen from his own apartment.

He's the sort of guy who's probably going to reach for yet another first: first tenant to sue Donald Trump for the lax security in one of his luxury apartment buildings.

Fazioli 228.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Numerian
Now he has two firsts to his name:

1) First winner in a major competition to reject his 3rd place prize, arguing that the judges were biased against him.

2) First concert pianist to have his concert grand stolen from his own apartment.

He's the sort of guy who's probably going to reach for yet another first: first tenant to sue Donald Trump for the lax security in one of his luxury apartment buildings.

I bet the moving company gets sued, too.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
In mid-December, I was contacted by an anonymous seller (yahoo address, no phone) living in Manhattan, offering to sell a late-model CFIIIS for $38k. Most interestingly, the contact name was "Lim". I was also given the serial. I never responded to what I thought was spam or a scam.

Follow the logic and it could be even more devious than the article describes, but who knows.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
“Pianos don’t have insurance,” he told the Daily News Thursday. “Violins do. Violins can be stolen easily. A piano is not something you can put in your pocket.”

I can't stop thinking about that George Carlin bit:

Sentences that have NEVER been said:
"Hand me that piano." smile

ps the other two were:
"Please saw my legs off."
"Do what you want to the girl, but leave me alone!"

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plinky88

Didn't Winston Smith basically say that at the end of 1984?

Gary
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by Plinky88

Didn't Winston Smith basically say that at the end of 1984?

Only a member of this forum could correct
a George Carlin bit! laugh

"Do it to her! Do it to Julia!
I don’t care what you do to her, but do it to her!
Tear her my face off! Do it to Julia, not to me!
Do it to Julia!
Not me!"

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A nightmarish novel. A true work of genius, but much to depressing to contemplate.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever."

No, much better to listen to Bach.
[Linked Image]

Gary

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
In mid-December, I was contacted by an anonymous seller (yahoo address, no phone) living in Manhattan, offering to sell a late-model CFIIIS for $38k. Most interestingly, the contact name was "Lim". I was also given the serial. I never responded to what I thought was spam or a scam.

Follow the logic and it could be even more devious than the article describes, but who knows.

Interesting. It could be that the sublettor used "Lim" deliberately to impersonate the owner. Or it could something else entirely more devious, as you note.

N
N
Piano theivery doesn't normally come from guys with masks and the truck with the leaky exhaust. What usually happens and I had several consignments over the years that happened like this.

Someone allows another party to borrow a piano and use it at their house. Then the person moves and either leaves the piano behind and makes some " Pact" with the landlord that he/she is coming back to get it.

The landlord then salivates at the possibilty to make huge $$$$ and puts it up for sale.

I had a landlord like that show up to get his " check" once while some detectives waited in a closet. You have to do your homework and almost do a background check on consignments especially these days.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I had a landlord like that show up to get his " check" once while some detectives waited in a closet..."

And I thought the story had gone as far as it could. A failure of imagination on my part, of course. Next we will learn that there were, not only detectives, but a television crew in the closet, and a stripper an exotic dancer lurking inside the piano case (a midget, perhaps), waiting for the guilty landlord to open the lid and show off the works.

It is a wicked world. News at five.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 02/27/13 03:59 PM.

Clef

N
N
The thing about that was that those detectives really weren't interested in him. They wanted the name of the renter since she skipped on financing and took the piano with them a few times state to state.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission