2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I've got a piece with an accidental A flat (the A below middle C). I know that accidentals don't carry over to the next bar - but do they apply to another A in the same bar if it is one octave lower? (in the first space of the bass clef?)

If it were in the key signature, of course it would apply to all the notes that are sharp or flat - but as an accidental? I don't seem to have come across this before.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Accidentals only apply to the single note upon which they exist. No other note anywhere else on either staff is affected.

At least that is what I was taught. laugh

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I've seen cases where an accidental applies just to the register in question and cases where it applies to both registers in the octave. These could be score typos but I recall my teacher mentioning that it could vary by notational conventions of various piano eras.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Whizbang
I've seen cases where an accidental applies just to the register in question and cases where it applies to both registers in the octave. These could be score typos but I recall my teacher mentioning that it could vary by notational conventions of various piano eras.

I've never seen that. I have seen many cases where they will use a courtsey accidental to show that, no the note really is as written even though another octave had an accidental so I guess it's possible that it gets overlooked ... but I would play as written unless I had a very good reason not to.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

I've never seen that. I have seen many cases where they will use a courtsey accidental to show that, no the note really is as written even though another octave had an accidental so I guess it's possible that it gets overlooked ... but I would play as written unless I had a very good reason not to.

If I run across an example, I'll post it. I just skimmed a lot of my ragtime collection and the notation is pretty consistent--publishers are putting accidentals on both notes in the octave. But this specifically came up at one lesson because I encountered a counter example and wasn't sure what it meant (so asked my teacher). A flat 9th or maj7 left-hand octave would be very uncharacteristic of ragtime and be a good reason to ignore the lack of accidental.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I've got a piece with an accidental A flat (the A below middle C). I know that accidentals don't carry over to the next bar - but do they apply to another A in the same bar if it is one octave lower? (in the first space of the bass clef?)

If it were in the key signature, of course it would apply to all the notes that are sharp or flat - but as an accidental? I don't seem to have come across this before.

Can't you tell by trying it both ways and listening to it ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess I'll chime in as well - I remember this discussion from a previous thread, but can't find the image I used.

But, the accidental only applies to the specific note and does not include notes above or below an octave.

I looked at some Scriabin, and the first one I looked at was very clear. The editing was nice as well, clearly showing this, and clearly showing that the octave related notes were or were not changed.

Since the editors are so ambitious to mark this so clearly, perhaps there is no written rule on how accidentals apply to other "octavated" notes. (or perhaps Scriabin's music demands it! laugh )

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Per standard notation, an accidental applies to the given note in all octaves of that bar on that staff.

But this standard is not always followed to the letter. You almost -always- have all octaves on the note/staff/bar notated with the courtesy accidental and that courtesy accidental is NOT always surrounded by parenthesis.

I have researched this pretty hard. (I'm writing a program that renders standard notation given midi). If anyone knows differently, I'd appreciate your source.

Edit: per Packa (below), I was mistaken.

All 3 of these sources agree that pitches in other octaves (of the same pitch, staff, bar) need additional accidentals.

Read, G. (1979). Music notation: A manual of modern practice (2nd ed.)

Heussenstamm, G. (1987). The Norton manual of music notation.

Gould, E. (2011). Behind bars: The definitive guide to music notation.

Last edited by Stephen Hazel; 02/24/13 09:11 PM.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Can't you tell by trying it both ways and listening to it ?

This.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
I have researched this pretty hard. (I'm writing a program that renders standard notation given midi). If anyone knows differently, I'd appreciate your source.

Okay, scratch my post above and listen to the guy that researched this - my qualifications on this matter ...wait, I don't have any qualifications! whome

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
S
S
There is some information in the documentation for Lilypond. It implies that accidental marking differs between the 18th century and the 20th.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#automatic-accidentals

I don't think the examples are the greatest.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Well, ....I thought it would be a simple "yes" or "no" question! Live and learn.

I did try playing it before I posted my question!
Really, I did!

The thing is that I can't easily stretch to play it and had a lot of trouble getting a clear transition from one chord to the next - so it didn't sound very good at all!

This morning I tried some more and now I can hear that the first (higher) chord leads into the second -- it is a "Ta-dum" effect and now I can hear the musical resolution.

The answer is that in THIS context it isn't an Aflat.

I am really surprised that the "rules" on this aren't clear cut.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/24/13 06:42 AM. Reason: figured it out!

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Are you in measure 28 of Slippin' Around?
I played it making every note in that chord just slide down a half step. So the lower one is A natural.

Learner

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Are you in measure 28 of Slippin' Around?
I played it making every note in that chord just slide down a half step. So the lower one is A natural.

Aren't you a mind reader smile

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Aren't you a mind reader smile

Nah, just a bit of a sleuth. You gave enough clues!

Thanks!

You're welcome. Have fun with that book!

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting question. I just came across this in a video. Not sure how credible the source, but this is one interpretation.

The rule as stated in the video:

"Accidentals 1) only last for a bar; and 2) only affect the line or space in which they sit."

Here is the video (around 1:45): http://www.musictheoryvideos.com/accidentals.html

Curious if there is another reference stating otherwise.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
They don't apply to other octaves, but the problem is that some don't seem to know (or maybe they overlook it while composing or writing exercises) because I have found quite a few scores in which other octaves should have their own accidentals but they don't.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks very much to everyone for the replies (and the videos and links!)

it is great to have such great resources at hand so quickly!

p.s.
Malkin I am indeed having great fun with the book!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
Per standard notation, an accidental applies to the given note in all octaves of that bar on that staff.

But this standard is not always followed to the letter. You almost -always- have all octaves on the note/staff/bar notated with the courtesy accidental and that courtesy accidental is NOT always surrounded by parenthesis.

Sorry, but I can't find any support for this notion as standard practice.

From Read, G. (1979). Music notation: A manual of modern practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Taplinger Publishing:

"When an accidental not included in a key signature precedes any note, it affects the pitch it precedes--and no other--for that one measure only" (p. 129, author's italics).

From Heussenstamm, G. (1987). The Norton manual of music notation. New York, NY: W. W. Norton:

"An accidental applies only to the note at its original pitch level. When that note is sounded at a different octave level, another accidental is needed" (p. 69, author's italics).

From Gould, E. (2011). Behind bars: The definitive guide to music notation. London, England: Faber Music:

"An accidental holds good for the duration of a bar. It applies only to the pitch at which it is writen: Each additional octave requires a further accidental" (p. 78).

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you packa!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission