2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Sob, my last set. When's May?! wink

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. This is a beautiful performance, and all the more commendable for someone who has played for a short time. I think you created a wonderful atmosphere and any slight rough spots can get easily ironed out as you progress. It sounded like a very relaxed performance; the left hand was very well controlled which is difficult to do when the right is making the tricky runs. I loved it!

52. Allard - To Zanarkand It's funny how you can tell instantly that this is from a video game. Great performance! I think you have controlled this beautifully; there is delightful phrasing of some of the arpeggios and little flourishes and there is steadiness that allows the moments of intensity to really break through.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew I think you got some of the harp feel in these pieces. I would prefer a piano rather than electronic piano personally but I can tell what you were going for. You played them beautifully, it was an incredibly serene and straightforward (in a good way) performance.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are "My name's Andy and I'm addicted to Bill Joel." Perhaps not but I've been playing his stuff for years. You've been playing for a few months and have done a great job. You will get much better at smoothing things over. Make the melody "shine" a little more; if you don't already hear the words in your head, try to - it will help the phrasing. But as it stands it's a really nice performance, very controlled, smooth and enjoyable.

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G Of course I'm going to listen all the way to #55. My only problem is this is the last one. This was one of the three pieces that got me started on trying to play classical (and led me to lessons thank goodness.) I counted up the other day - I think it's in four books I own! You did a very nice job controlling the piece; I would work on getting more dynamic range into it - where you did, it was great! I liked the clear contrast between the two versions but you tied it together well.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I want to express my gratitude to all of you giving comments to my performance of the Haydn-sonata so far. This week I'm staying at my mountain cottage with very limited internet access, and therefore I didn't have the opportunity to give any feedback neither to your performances nor to your comments, but I have listened to all of you and realise that there is lots of nice playing and interesting pieces. Next week I'll start giving individual comments.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
PhilzPiano- I saw what you were playing for the recital and thought it might make a nice way to start my morning. Such a wonderful little piece and nothing like to set you right for the day. Very nicely done!! Thanks.

timmyab- Might as well keep going with the Bach. What wonderful command you have of this piece. It just flows and with just the right amount of feeling. I really enjoyed listening to you play. I loved both versions but I am leaning towards the faster one. They really are like two totally different pieces. The various voices "sang" to me and pulled me in more in the faster one. I'm glad you put them both in.

P
P
BenPiano, SwissMS, jotur, BillM, casinitaly, zrtf90, Riddler, peterws, Sam S, Allard, jazzwee, GrouchoMarx, Mr Super-Hunky, Andy Platt, Thank you so much for your kind comments, it is a great reward for me. smile
I would like to thank to all who listen my recording too.
And of course thanks belong to all organizers of this wonderfull recital which is a great experience and fun smile

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Ah finally a weekend where I have some time so I can spend some time to reading all comments in more detail laugh

Originally Posted by AimeeO

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 It sounds great without the pedal(this means you didn’t have to cheat hehehe). This seems like it would be difficult to pull off, but you did so convincingly. I like it.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Allard

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
Music without pedal can sound a little empty, but you play it so well.
[quote]

Thanks for the feedback!

[quote=zrtf90]
The melody _can_ go slower but does need to be lifted more where it shares the same register as the accompaniment. Melodies don't have a set speed. They have different speeds when played on different instruments or with different touches or timbres. This is a song without words and it must sing. The accompaniment must accompany and as soon as it gets distracting the melody must glare at it with the look of a coloratura whose pianist is getting above himself. With only three years it's a tough ask but once you get the balance right between the 'singer' and the 'band' when playing slowly you can develop the speed until it feels right and your playing has no issue here with the speed.

It would have been nice to get this in the themed recital - I wouldn't have an issue with duplicates or missing pieces but it's not my project. Thanks for letting us enjoy it here.

Richard many thanks for your detailed review. Amazing how much attention you give to all performances here!! Seems I'll have to try to play LH softer here.

I will check the possibility to have it added to the themed recital.

Originally Posted by slpianoproject

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Here i have alot to say ..: First of all congratulation for this very fine performance. For only 3 years of piano experience you have a wonderful touch. You are able to bring out both melodies very well and that is impressive. I totally agree with your choice of not using pedal in this piece, it gives it a juggling feeling wich sound appealing to my hears. It also makes the left hand melody shine alot. As for you not being satisfied with the performance well... I've listened to your performance several times, even followed with the sheet music and your left hand is perfect. There is a clear distinction when its a quaver + its rest and a crochet. You use clear legato when its indicated. I'm highly impressed.

I can't really help you about the main theme being repetitive. Some mendelssohn pieces tend to make me feel the same way when i play it. I've recently made a recording of Op.30 no.1 on youtube and the theme repeats alot more (you can look it up on youtube... just search slpianoproject). 8 times to be precise with almost no variation. At the very end it comes back briefly and it always gives me the feeling the listener must think "OMG not again, will it end already".... But eh... what can we do... we play what is written.

Anyways i assure you that you should be proud of this performance its really impressive. Especially with 3 years of experience... I've played longer than you (although its hard to gauge how long i've been playing since i'm very casual) and i don't think i would do better than this. Awesome job!

By the way, are you using a special tuning on your piano? Or its just out of tune? Cause it fits perfectly with the piece.

wow, thanks slpianoproject for the extra large review. It's really interesting to see how some people here say I should use pedal while others are really happy that I did without smile Also it's good to hear that you also have this feeling with Mendelssohn.

Piano out of tune? You're the first to mention that. Check.... No, it was tuned a few weeks before I recorded so it should be well tuned. What exactly do you hear?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Great job. You asked for suggestions, so - Yes the accompaniment parts are too loud. They should be a couple of levels softer than the melody. Difficult to do, but that will make it sound much more musical. On the use of the pedal, even though the bass notes have the little dots, it is the style of the period to use pedal throughout. As one of my teachers once told me, the pedal is not an on/off switch. There are many levels. Just barely touch it in some cases or use what is called quarter pedal. Think of the dots on the bass notes as little accents, not as staccato. Think of pizzicato strings. There is a loud pluck, but it also rings and sustains. If you make the bass notes too short you lose that effect. So use the pedal, even if it is just barely depressing it. Anyway, you have the notes down now, it just needs some fine tuning.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Sam! So far to me the pedal seems an on/off switch: I sometimes try to smoothly dampen a chord by carefully partially releasing the pedal but I usually end up with a sudden cancellation.... And it also sounds like a booster pedal, making everything twice as loud once pressed... Oh well there's some stuff to learn with the pedal here smile

Originally Posted by CarlosCC

08. wouter79 - I don't know why you're not satisfied with your work... I have 3 years of experience and I can't imagine myself playing this. Wonderful job on this (far from easy!) piece.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Greener

08 wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
This has a lot of familiarity to another Mendelssohn piece (102 no 1) I am currently working on. There is clearly a lot to this and you are doing a nice job of allowing the melody to sing cleanly above and throughout it all. An ambitious undertaking for just 3 years on the bench. You clearly have what it takes though. Good for you, very nicely done and great recording.

Thanks Greener, I'm looking forward to your piece for the themed recital !

Originally Posted by timmyab

Well I'm not sure if it's worth my time but the opportunity to insult you is too good to pass up.
Seriously though it's very good for three years being such a tough piece and all that.
I'm not in the slightest bit fundamentalist when it comes to following the score so I would probably pedal every half bar on this.Maybe drop it on the second quaver and lift it just before the end of the forth to give a slight gap between bass figures.I think it's especially helpful for tying the second and third notes of the bass figure together.Without it you'll tend to get a bit of a jolt there which may account for some of the nervousness you mentioned.
The most important thing here is to subdue the accompaniment.The syncopated parts should be so subdued that exactly what's going on is mostly hidden by the singing melody anyway.This is a difficult skill to learn but probably one of the most important things to bring the piano to life.Practice on very simple pieces and, for the purposes of getting a feel for it, play around with very exaggerated differences between different hands and fingers of the same hand.
I wouldn't drop the tempo any.The melody will start to lose coherence if you do.

Timmyab, thanks for the detailed comments. Mmm, interesting suggestion, but yes I could try to apply pedal only after releasing the bass note. Kind of reverse stride effect. It's also interesting to see different ideas about the importance of the tempo here. Reducing the LH power seems something most here would like to hear.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
K
K
Thanks again to all those who worked behind the scenes create the recital.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D Very nicely played. I enjoyed listening to your rendition. Your changes didn't detract from the piece at all.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 Very well played. Excellent!

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One Keep practicing

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F Surprisingly good recording quality using just your iPhone on the piano

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' Every time I listen to someone in this recital who has played as a kid and returned as a adult I marvel at the advantage one has by starting young. Very nicely played.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) Another one that started as a kid. Very nicely played. Increasing discouraging lessons? Your teacher must have been too critical.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 3 years? Unbelievably advanced. I would not call you a relative beginner.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are Very well played for just 11 months. Were you using the pedal? It sounded like a lot of the notes were sustained. The only suggestion I could think of was to have less of that.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
13. Peyton - After All I really like what you did with this piece, Peyton! It's takes one on a very pleasant journey, then back home. Thank you for your music!

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 At first, this sounds like a simple piece, but there are so many details to manage - there's lots going on and you played it beautifully.

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 Schubert was a very fine choice for you. You play it with such confidence and conviction to give it life.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D Ed, this is spectacular. I've heard this piece only once before. You've done some very tasty, rich voicing with it. Really a great tune and a even more well-played.

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You You play this as though you are listening very carefully to the melody. This is a beautiful piece and you bring tenderness to it.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1
Well played and a great video to go with it! It is always fun to see the action in videos like this.

06. CarlosCC - Julia
Loved it! Einaudi's is a great composer and you a great piano player Carlos!

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues
Sounds like a fun pieces to play. I think that you managed to capture the swing in your performances. Well done!

No pedal? Amazing! A really great performance and your recording is top notch too.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936
I love Bach's preludes and your performance here is stellar. I like your technique too with the curved fingers and your steady rhythm. Well done!!

10. CASINITALY - Sneakin' Round
This piece also seems like a lot of fun to play. Great job! I really liked your playing on the fast sections with your fingers dancing over the keys!!

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D minor
I don't understand your teacher. It sounds lovely to me and I also like the fast pace. Great job!!

13. Peyton - After all
Fantastic and it is an original piece too! Loved it. It seems quite hard to play but you nailed it like a pro! Great poem too!! Great job Peyton.

14. joangolfing 0 Grieg Waltz Op. 12
Great piece and great playing too!

15. Greener - Moments Musicaux
Loved it! Those pedals… I know exactly how it feels but your playing is so good here that I didn't hear the noise after a few seconds.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
12 Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf', John Timothy Roberts
Nice job, Amaruk. A very pretty arrangement.

13 Peyton - After All
Another impressive composition coupled with a vituosic performance. Bravo.

14 joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12, Grieg
An excellent performance, Joan. Just plain enjoyable to hear.

15 Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6, Schubert
That squeaky pedal is a bit annoying, Jeff. Otherwise this is a very well done effort. You captured the essence of the piece with your somber moody interpretation. It's quite an enjoyable listen.

16 Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D, Duke Ellington
Impressive, Ed. As an Ellington fan I enjoyed your interesting arrangement. As a bonus, it sounds like I could maybe play your version whereas pretty much all Ellington transcriptions are out of reach for me. Great music!

17 Monica K. - Just Because I Love You, David Nevue
Beautifully played, Monica. You show really excellent control in the fade out section at the end. Well done indeed.

18 ladypayne - Improv in G minor
You are becoming an excellent composer. This is really pretty. Well done, ladypayne, well done.

19 Jake S. - Fur Elise, Beethoven
Great job, Jake. This piece is one of my favorites. You play it well. Yes, you have definitely moved into the "intermediate" ranks.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
7. Dianna - good job. Smooth playing with steady beat. Look forward to your next piece

8. Woter79 - you said you aren't satisfied but I think it's fairly decent. It will be excellent if you keep the left hand volume down. I know it's easy said than done. It will give you an instant inprovement. The shaping of the piece is already there. Once you get the balance of the voices, I think you enjoy being totally expressive.

9. SwissMS - you are a fine piano player. I really enjoy listening to your performance. It does not show any trace of the trouble you had last year. I assume you have many years of classical traing as a child. It just shows.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
#10 Cheryl - wow, it's incredible. I did not listen to the last recital since I was so busy. I'm stunned with the progress you made. This seriously sounds good. Does not sound like a beginner any more. Like it a lot.

#11 Andy Platt - I'm not the one to express opinions on your playing of Bach inventions. I hated them. It is totally twisted my personal opinion. I don't think the inventions are not his best works. For the purpose of finger independence, we all have to play them. I had to do 7 out of 12! I think you have done good job. Trills will come if you practice. Bach pieces get better and better. Let's persevere.

#12 Amaruk - excellent touch. It's a very beautiful song. Your son is lucky to have music to grow up with.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 - Goodness, this is so rich. It's amazing how full and creative music was once. You've inspired me to learn this, but this just sounds so complicated and deep that I'm not sure I could get to this level. I can't offer any suggestions, but I can say that I enjoyed this very much - I love this place! Well done!

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 - *Pushes open jaw back into place* Wow, that was awesome!

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement I wouldn't necessarily say that many of Haydn's sonatas are within the grasp of amateurs. Yours is a perfect example - this sounds terribly difficult! I had the chance recently to learn part of a Haydn sonata - yes, terribly difficult!

Your submission was long and very complex - I'm in awe of your ability to not only learn this while practicing, but to put it out there and play it, start to finish, with the recorder on.

Not only is this a wonderful piece from Haydn, you played this brilliantly as well. I loved each note!

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 This doesn't sound like any "easy starter"! Very nicely played!

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf - I hear you about not many versions to listen to. I don't know how I happened on this piece, but I struggled as well trying to figure out how this should sound. Well done, I like your interpretation!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
13. Payton - another master piece with profound enlightenment! You really should publish your compositions

14. JoanGolfing -What a pretty piece. Good job

15 Greener - I love the piece. You play very well.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Aimeeo- You are obviously still working on this. But wow, quite an undertaking and accomplishment so far. I really like your pacing and general feel for the piece. I really enjoyed listening.

Allard- I know that feeling of having a piece you have to learn even if you know you are not quite ready for it. But it's that desire that drives us sometimes to new heights. You may not have nailed this piece technically but emotionally... right on! My only technical thought would be to ease up on the pedal a bit. But just great playing especially for only a year inthe saddle.

Copper- Always nice to hear you play. This is such a short version but still very evocative. I really enjoyed hearing the way the bass notes worked along side the right hand. Almost a little Bach like.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sorry , a little late to the party , work keeps getting in the way.

Many thanks for all the encouraging comments on my pieces, the best I can say is it gives me a great deal of pleasure that you enjoyed them.

Thanks to the organisers of this fun and enjoyable event and thanks to all the performers who took part. What really stands out to me is that every performance , no matter the level of experience , was musical,making music that means something , with feeling and emotion.

And now some comments, time constraints will restrict me from commenting on all performance so please forgive me if I miss you out.As essentially a "jazzer" and writer of tunes I may stick more to my style area.

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning A heartfelt tribute beautifully played, nothing short of excellent.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie Glen that was just lovely, instantly recognisable as French music as soon as you started , wonderfully expressive playing and control in the left hand. Not sure why I am not familiar with Massenet, so many wonderful composers and so much music! This had me searching out the music which also led me to Meditation de Thais, so thanks for your
performance and also for introducing me to some new music.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 Another charming piece, such a sweet little melody and played with a Wonderfully relaxed style, a pleasure to listen to.

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4
Boy , you get a lot of emotion into this performance which far outweighs any technical issues, very nice performance.

06. CarlosCC - Julia
Another example of your fantastic memory. Lots of emotion in this which is fitting for the dedication of the performance, very well done.

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues Very well done , you really brought these simple little pieces to life.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 So glad you are back playing and isn't it great that music can help recovery. A very good performance too of a piece that looks and sounds
difficult.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round
A jolly piece very well played, love those jazzy sounds.

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor
Too hard for me Andy, well done, just those trills to work on.

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf'
A simple but very pretty melody and as usual a nice video to go with it.

13. Peyton - After All
Another great composition Peyton, great work on the left had pattern which avoids the obvious. Great writing, improvisation , groove and technique, what more can I say I loved it.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D
What great playing and arrangment, that amateurish fancy stuff sounds Professional to me, reminds me more of Stan Kenton ( only better Piano playing) those chords, just rich & lush.

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You
Control ,control , control, from start to finish, congratulations on a fine performance.

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon
Wouldn't sound out of place in all the bars in all the world, very relaxing.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us
I rather liked this, I can hear it as the music to a film, maybe a French film noir , lovely melody.

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow
You have good ideas and you seem passionate about composing so keep at it and I look forward to hearing your progress in composing and playing, well done.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .
Conjures up pictures of the rolling hills of the north of England , in spring when it’s a bit warmer :-). Takes a lot of talent to put an arrangement like this together, nicely paced with some tasty string pads. Did you keep changing the lead voice , sounds alternately like oboe , pan pipe or soprano sax? And then we have the sea. Great stuff keep em coming.

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You
Loved the feel you get on this Ben, reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel,the vocal was a tad quiet though but I could a hear a good in tune voice there, a very enjoyable listen.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement To my ear pretty much expert in every way.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One
You seem to have really grasped Monk's music, well done.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. Well you certainly covered all the styles here though sometimes less is more. Touch of the Errol Garners in Shadow and you sounded like you had lots of fun with Misty.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight
This sounds really together with some nice note choices in your solo, you have a swinging little group there. Everytime I hear you Jazzwee you have improved and I think you have just taken a bit of a leap forward. I also picked up your latest version of Solar on the study group thread and you were steaming, live playing with an audience, wonderful.

Last edited by jazztpt; 02/23/13 12:56 PM.

Jazztpt

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
26 Sand Tiger – Shadow
I see from your Blog, ST that you have been very busy with composition. Good on you, for this focus so early in your piano development. It will only get better from here of course. You've done well with this and I look forward to seeing the progress.

32 BenPiano - All of These Things For You
This is very easy and pleasant listen. You have a nice voice. Nice job in keeping the accompaniment interesting without interfering with the vocal. Nice recording and well done.

36 Mike White - Album Leaf
Not familiar with the piece. Some very interesting elements to it. Clearly very competently played. I don't care for the piece, but I like your playing. It would likely grow on me though, there are many I play now, that I wasn't so keen on in the beginning and some Debussy I really like, of course. Nice work.

37 Ken - Let's Cool One
Fabulous changes in this. I love pieces with chord change iterations on every beat. This is one that could really swing. You are on your way with it. Nice choice and some fine playing, Ken.

38 Farmgirl - Brahms 118 #2

I think I may need to take up drinking again. I don't recall ever getting this good of results though. I somehow thought I was better, but my neighbours never did. Really fine production you have with this, Farmgirl. Beautifully played.

39 Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley
These work very nicely together as a medley. Who knew. I have both of these buried somewhere in my line up. Time to dig em up and perhaps do likewise with them. Very cleverly done, love the trills. Nice arrangement and some great playing.

Last edited by Greener; 02/23/13 10:18 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Jazzpt; English Horn and Soprano Sax only used as solo. I suspect the English horn and Oboe are bedfellows . . . .according to Yamaha that is!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I just want to thank all you folks that commented on my piece...

Monica- Your comments are always highly valued by me. Yea, I really like getting down into those bass notes.

Saranoya- I suppose if i actually wrote it all out I could intentionally write in accel and retards. But, yea, some of those really were not intentional. I just have a bad habit of speeding up as things get louder and more dramatic. I really need to work on that.

SwissMs- the runs up the keyboard are fun but not too complicated. That said...the second time I did it it didn't quite end up right. Thank you for seeing the connection of the music to the poem. It really is supposed to be "searching".

Casinitaly- Again, I'm really pleased you saw the connection of the poem to the music. And it's really neat that you were waiting to see what would come next. Yes, the Satie has really helped inspire the pieces I'm working on right now.

Bill- Always nice to get a favorable comment from you. For you to say my piano playing is first rate means a lot to me.

jotur- Yea, most of the pieces I've been writing have a left hand pattern that is pretty consistent. Maybe it's my bass playing roots...

Aimeeo- I would love to really be a talented composer. However I'm all too aware of my shortcomings. (Music theory or lack thereof being a major one...)

KenJazz- interesting you hear some "eastern" flavor. I didn't mean for that to be but have been playing around with that sound. I don't see my works as "new age" either. I think you put it well.. a little R&B, new age, eastern... Hopefully just my own thing.

Allard- Yea, I really need to work on my speed consistency.

zrtf90- That beat is hard to follow in the middle because I probably lost it.... I do have fun with the rhythmic patterns.

Ed- Your comments really cracked me up. I answered you earlier but I'll say it again... If you ever do transcribe some of my runs by all means please let me know what you come up for fingerings.

Mr. SH- I'm really glad you read it as you did... I was pleased with the ending. I just wanted those chords to say "After All".

GrauchoMarx- I'm glad you felt the hands were well balanced. That is certainly one of the great challenges in this piece.

Greener- I know I really enjoy hearing what other folks here compose. It adds another whole element to listening.

SamS- Cool! I know I don't feel like I sound professional but to hear it from you means a lot.

CarlosCC- I only WISH I could even begin to write like Debussy. (And yes..if I could only play Debussy as well as you. smile )

AndyP- When I was studying art an instructor told me once that the secret to good work was to make mistakes look intentional. Sooo I should have just said that "tap" was there on purpose!!

Jazzwee- What can I say? Coming from you that really means a lot!

Beachcraft- Yay, someone remembers my Coffee for Breakfast! You should just try writing. A couple of shots of Makers Mark (the 90 proof, not that other stuff they tried to put out there), some lights down low... sit at the piano and just play.

Ben- Thank you. you really hit it for me. "vast, old and desolate. yet..here we are".

Inlanding- "a pleasant journey, then back home" I like that.

Amaruk- I'm glad you liked the poem. I thought it might be a little silly putting it there but it really did explain a bit about what I was trying to say with the piece.

TXDennis- thanks as always Dennis. Not sure it's exactly "virtuosic" but hey, that doesn't hurt my self esteem.

Farmgirl- I just wish I could really write out music. If I could I would at the very least write all these to paper. I'm counting on my memory and... that's not good.

jazztpt- Hey you cover all the bases smile More great self esteem builders.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Peyton

Ed- Your comments really cracked me up. I answered you earlier but I'll say it again... If you ever do transcribe some of my runs by all means please let me know what you come up for fingerings.

Peyton,

Actually, I saw your previous comment. Sorry, I did not mean to ignore you, it's just that I interpreted it as a joke! grin

BTW, I don't write these runs down on paper, I record them in midi, and sometimes capture the fingering in text that displays in the lyrics window when I play it back on the Vanbasco player.

Anyway, here is what I captured.

Two handed ascending run an interval of a third apart:

• Both hands follow the standard Eb (Hanon) fingering.

One handed Eb descending run in thirds, starting with C and Eb:

• Top note finger - 3 5 4 3 2 4 3 2 5 4 3 2 4

Bottom note finger - 1 3 2 1 1 2 1 1 3 2 1 1 2

Wierd, huh?

One handed Eb run with scale notes 3 4 2 3 1 2 7 1 etc (where 3 = G, 4 = Ab, etc).

• RH fingers 4 5 3 4 2 3 1 5 3 4 2 3 1 2 1 5; in other words, I switch to 5 on Ab and Eb.

BTW, methinks I am not a good person to ask about fingering; I tend to start ascending arpeggios and runs with fingering 2 1 (index then thumb), and I often cross 1 over 5 going up, 5 over 1 going down. Us old guys have our habits and there is nothing you can do to change us! smile

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission