2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
The v1.10 Firmware Update has just been posted.
http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

It includes the following updates:
• Improving the Key Follow function of Hex Layer.
• Adding a portamento function to the Melody tones and the Hex Layer tones.
• Adding a volume control to the Audio Recorder.
• Adding a volume control to the Damper Noise.
• Adding ‘Toggle Mode’ to the Pedal Function.
• Adding MIDI Rx message filters.
• Expanding the frequency range of the Master Equalizer.
• Expanding the frequency range of the DSP Equalizer.
• Adding a Fine tune to the DSP Pitch Shifter.
• Adding a Bypass to the System Effects and the Master Effects.
• Adding a destination parameters to the controllers (Knobs, Sliders, Modulation and Pedals).
• Adding a calibration function of the position of the Knobs.
• Adding a sample waves to the Hex Layer.

We've also gone through and revised/improved a number of the Stage Settings.

Instructions on installing the update:

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great job!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
And the postage service rang the doorbell.....without a package the size of 88 keys - as was promised by the salesman ;-( Counted on trying the FW1.1 right away !

Seems the wait is not over yet. We'll I'm still waiting for that other ultimate keybed too, so Im getting used to it. (wonder why they call it 'Virtual' PC1 - has nothing to do with delivery times , does it ;-)

Great service of Casio and especially Mike. By the way - I noticed the editor is not online yet, although it is mentioned in the video instructions for backup purpose. Right ?

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Great job!

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Originally Posted by JFP

Great service of Casio and especially Mike. By the way - I noticed the editor is not online yet, although it is mentioned in the video instructions for backup purpose. Right ?

Hopefully the editor will be posted by tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Mike giving us an awesome demo at Kraft. Well done! You make it look like so much fun.

Excellent demo.

The reed EPs sound nice and fat (phat?), and the psudeo expression pedal wah appears to work really well - definitely saves on having to pack an extra pedal just for funky clav.

The PX-5S is scarily good!

James
x

smile

...and the EPs are even better now after the firmware update.

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-px-5s-phased-roadz

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-px-5s-roadz-panamp

The guys at Kraft made me look good. Those videos are not easy to do.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Yeah, those EPs are sounding pretty good, I guess... <-- (grumpy Nord owner)

Was the audio in the Kraft video recorded directly from the line outs? Or was there some mixing of the amp/speakers in the room too - perhaps from the voice mic? I can hear your fingers pressing buttons and playing the keys etc. I actually prefer it like this (rather than muting the mic every time some sound is played) - sounds much more natural and 'real'.

Cheers,
James
x

They recorded the line outputs but the microphone I was wearing was picking up everything from the room. It is a very LIVE room.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For all of you interested - the Midi solutions Pedal Controller + Roland DP10 solution to enable half damping on the PX5 works. There are still a few 'quirks' however:

Cabling A:
- MIDI OUT (Thru) of Casio PX5 is connected to the MIDI IN of the Pedal Controller for powering the unit.
- MIDI OUT of the pedal controller is connected to the MIDI IN of the Casio.

Settings A:
- Pedal controller is programmed to NOT echo the MIDI INPUT (to avoid MIDI doubles/ loops).
- Pedal controller is programmed to send out Damper controller data going linear from value 0 ~ 127 on MIDI channel 1 ~ 4.
- System Local Control = ON
- System settings set both MIDI OUT SELECT and USB OUT SELECT to 'KEY'.

Now the Casio plays fine , including half damper response. So far mission accomplished.

Suppose you want to use the Casio as a controller for external gear / software instruments on a computer as well. Problem: either the MIDI data from the Casio hardware is send (notes / controllers) OR the MIDI Input is routed over USB to the computer. But not both simultaneously. Meaning you either play your software without damper pedal, or you can play only the half-damper pedal to your software. A workaround is looping the MIDI output of the Casio back to the MIDI IN and use the PX5 in 'local-off' mode. Apart from extra latency, that 'almost' works ' ;

Cabling B:
- MIDI OUT (Thru) of Casio PX5 is connected to the MIDI IN of the Pedal Controller for powering the unit.
- USB of the Casio is connected to a computer.

Settings B:
- Pedal controller is now programmed to ECHO the MIDI INPUT , so all note and controller info coming from the MIDI OUT of the Casio will be merged with the pedaling data en send to the MIDI IN of the Casio.
- System Local Control = OFF
- System MIDI OUT SELECT is KEY and USB OUT SELECT is set to MIDI.
- System USB IN ENABLE could be set to off , for safety - to avoid MIDI loops.
- Pedal controller is still programmed to send out Damper controller data going linear from value 0 ~ 127 on MIDI channel 1 ~ 4. You can change the min /max values , curve and offsets for the pedal response if you like to.

The Casio now sends it's key+control data to the Pedal Controller. This will be merged with the pedal data and send to the MIDI input of the Casio. The incoming MIDI data is mirrored over the USB output to the software instrument. A new problem is there is no way to silence the internal engine for the zone(s) in the stage settings. If you turn the zone off in Mixer edit of the stage settings; there is no MIDI data coming out of the PX5. If you turn only the Generator OFF in the stage MIDI settings, the internal engine will still sound in this particular setup (bug ?). So the way to hear ONLY the software instrument on a certain zone is by dialing back the volume of the internal sound on that zone to zero. It works, but I don't know if the tone is then still using up polyphony and processing, although the volume is zero.

I hope a future firmware update will provide a better way of setting up the PX5 for people wanting to combine the Casio with a MIDI Solutions Pedal Converter for half-damping and/or expression pedal in a hybrid setup with software sounds. IMHO if the System USB OUT SELECT setting can route both KEY and MIDI to the USB output that would already solve the problem.

Sorry for the long post; perhaps it's of use for someone and/or Casio make take notice and make some tweaks for firmware v1.2 ….

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Those videos are not easy to do.

QFT!!!

W
W
Originally Posted by JFP
For all of you interested - the Midi solutions Pedal Controller + Roland DP10 solution to enable half damping on the PX5 works. There are still a few 'quirks' however:

Cabling A:

Settings A:
- Pedal controller is programmed to NOT echo the MIDI INPUT (to avoid MIDI doubles/ loops).
- Pedal controller is programmed to send out Damper controller data going linear from value 0 ~ 127 on MIDI channel 1 ~ 4.
- System Local Control = ON
- System settings set both MIDI OUT SELECT and USB OUT SELECT to 'KEY'.

Now the Casio plays fine , including half damper response. So far mission accomplished.

Suppose you want to use the Casio as a controller for external gear / software instruments on a computer as well. Problem: either the MIDI data from the Casio hardware is send (notes / controllers) OR the MIDI Input is routed over USB to the computer. But not both simultaneously. Meaning you either play your software without damper pedal, or you can play only the half-damper pedal to your software. A workaround is looping the MIDI output of the Casio back to the MIDI IN and use the PX5 in 'local-off' mode. Apart from extra latency, that 'almost' works ' ;

Cabling B:
- USB of the Casio is connected to a computer.

Settings B:
- Pedal controller is now programmed to ECHO the MIDI INPUT , so all note and controller info coming from the MIDI OUT of the Casio will be merged with the pedaling data en send to the MIDI IN of the Casio.
- System Local Control = OFF
- System MIDI OUT SELECT is KEY and USB OUT SELECT is set to MIDI.
- System USB IN ENABLE could be set to off , for safety - to avoid MIDI loops.
- Pedal controller is still programmed to send out Damper controller data going linear from value 0 ~ 127 on MIDI channel 1 ~ 4. You can change the min /max values , curve and offsets for the pedal response if you like to.

The Casio now sends it's key+control data to the Pedal Controller. This will be merged with the pedal data and send to the MIDI input of the Casio. The incoming MIDI data is mirrored over the USB output to the software instrument. A new problem is there is no way to silence the internal engine for the zone(s) in the stage settings. If you turn the zone off in Mixer edit of the stage settings; there is no MIDI data coming out of the PX5. If you turn only the Generator OFF in the stage MIDI settings, the internal engine will still sound in this particular setup (bug ?). So the way to hear ONLY the software instrument on a certain zone is by dialing back the volume of the internal sound on that zone to zero. It works, but I don't know if the tone is then still using up polyphony and processing, although the volume is zero.

I hope a future firmware update will provide a better way of setting up the PX5 for people wanting to combine the Casio with a MIDI Solutions Pedal Converter for half-damping and/or expression pedal in a hybrid setup with software sounds. IMHO if the System USB OUT SELECT setting can route both KEY and MIDI to the USB output that would already solve the problem.

Sorry for the long post; perhaps it's of use for someone and/or Casio make take notice and make some tweaks for firmware v1.2 ….

JFP,

you could use a MIDI Solutions Power Adapter rather than using the PX-5S MIDI Out to provide power. Extra cost but it would simplify things.

willf
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Willf, but why ? The MIDI OUT of the Casio is there anyway. Don't see any reason why you would add another box in this scenario.

The MIDI out connection to the Pedal controller is also great for programming the Pedal controller itself ! All you need to do is hook up your computer to the Casio and have it function as a MIDI interface to your MIDI solutions device (temporarily set System settings MIDI SELECT output = USB). Disconnect the cable going to your MIDI IN on the Casio while programming the Pedal Controller just to be sure. After programming the controller is done set the System settings back to MIDI SELECT output = KEY.

Simple, elegant setup and it works (did the programming myself in this setup, since I don't have any other MIDI interfaces anymore).

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Question about the PX5 audio input; is there a noise gate active on the audio input , or am I going crazy. When I play a software instrument trough the input it gets cut-off when dropping below a certain volume level in the sustain phase.

Checked it in three different cabling configurations and there IS really a signal going into the audio input (either Jack INPUTS or Mini-jack). So the cut-off happens in the Casio. A simple YES would help, so I can stop pulling my hair out on this subject. Wanted to use a software piano routed through the audio in of the Casio for easy setup, but if there is indeed a fixed noise gate , that can't be bypassed, I have to think of another mixing setup. Or is it a feature that can be turned of in a future firmware update. Hope it's not hardwired...

Any other PX5 users tried this ; is it my unit / general PX5 behavior ?

I believe the answer is yes, but I will have to confirm.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
W
W
Originally Posted by JFP
Thanks Willf, but why ? The MIDI OUT of the Casio is there anyway. Don't see any reason why you would add another box in this scenario.

I misunderstood your post. I though you wanted to use the PX-SS as a controller. So not tying up the Midi Out port to provide power I thought might be a help. I will admit that I am not familiar with Midi Solutions Products.

willf
Blimey, this has been running for some time . . . . I like the look of that rascal . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Blimey, this has been running for some time . . . . I like the look of that rascal . . .

Casio hit it out of the park with
this one, Peter. It's my "Swiss
Army Knife" board: it can do
a little of everything and it's
easy to schlep.

I think it will be on your side
of the pond late June or early July.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Any confirmation on the noise gate ? And if it's something that can be by-passed (either now / or in a future firmware update) ?

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission