2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi! I am new to the forum and seeking advice. We got my daughter a keyboard last Christmas and she started lessons. She's doing amazingly well, and her teacher and I both want to move her up to a "real" piano.

I found a 1970s Acrosonic console on Craigslist. Our piano teacher checked it out for me in person and had nothing but good things to say. It's been refurbished with new hammers and dampers. She played it and said it sounded great, and the cabinet was "pristine". She says it's basically in mint condition. She's a fan of Acrosonics, for people with space limitations (as we have), and seems to think it is worth what the owner is asking. Your thoughts?

Here's a link to the ad, with photos.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/3609955263.html

Our local shop just sold an identical piano for $1,200.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
The photo looks like it's a console piano (as you mentioned in your post), not a spinet.
If it is in the good condition the teacher said, then IMHO their asking price is reasonable.

Often with Craigslist (or any piano purchase) you can offer something less than the asking price. Most people are willing to negotiate.

Pianist and Piano Teacher

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The Acrosonics were very good verticals and one from the 70's is perfectly OK. Even the spinets led the pack.

In your situation, I can't see any reason to not buy the piano. Other's will say you need to have it checked out by a technician. But, that's going to be $100-150 extra. Plan out how it will be moved.

That's a great price, and it is always good to do some bargaining. Hey, if you can get it for ~$750, good deal!

Your daughter will be thrilled to have the "real" piano, and you are being a great parent.

The $1,200 in the store would even be considered a decent price.

That's a fine looking instrument.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
OP Offline
C
She will go $800, no less. She had a locally well-respected company come evaluate it, and they told her she could get $1,100 for it. And she has another interested buyer.

Definitely a console, no drop action.

She says hammers and pads look new, and everything she could see inside was in great condition.

C
OP Offline
C
I've got a local moving company lined up. The owner of the moving company is actually a piano collector, so he sems to know what he's doing.

It's first floor front room to first floor front room, so shouldbe about as straightforward as moving a piano can be.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well, by now, I hope you have wrapped up the deal.

Keep us posted.

Oh - Welcome to Piano World!

Marty in Minnesota

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you are pretty excited about it... buying a new or new-to-you piano can be an exciting experience, as well as nerve racking. smile

Good for you!!!

Hope it all works out for the best.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
From what I have read about spinet pianos, I was under the impression that spinet pianos are not worth considering (compared to larger uprights). How is it different in this case?

Last edited by adak; 02/21/13 10:57 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by adak
From what I have read about spinet pianos, I was under the impression that spinet pianos are not worth considering (compared to larger uprights). How is it different in this case?

Well, first of all, as the OP confirmed this is not a spinet.

Second, I think a good spinet (such as an acrosonic) would be worth considering if that's all your budget/space will allow. I'd take a good acrosonic spinet over most digitals. Yes, I agree that larger verticals are better, but that's not always an option.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
M
Not to mention that most any larger upright around $800 would probably be ancient and/or totally beat, neither of which are likely to be good for a young student. I was surprised by how much agreement there seemed to be on acrosonics being among the best small/affordable pianos when I was looking. We ended up going the ancient upright route because we're pretty casual players and chose the big sound and "character" over consistency / reliability / ease of playing. Maybe not the smartest decision, but we're having fun with it wink

This seems like a good choice, I hope she loves it!

Rob

M
M
Originally Posted by miscrms
Not to mention that most any larger upright around $800 would probably be ancient and/or totally beat, neither of which are likely to be good for a young student. I was surprised by how much agreement there seemed to be on acrosonics being among the best small/affordable pianos when I was looking. We ended up going the ancient upright route because we're pretty casual players and chose the big sound and "character" over consistency / reliability / ease of playing. Maybe not the smartest decision, but we're having fun with it wink

Rob

It always comes down to personal preference. If you're happy with your decision, then you made the right one. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by miscrms

Rob

I also have the option of a 1950-something Grinell upright player piano for just the cost of moving it. But as you said...it's totally beat up, hasn't been maintained, no bench, etc.

For our purposes, and space, I'm opting to pay more for a smaller, better-maintained piano. It will have to go in my (somewhat) formal living room, the first room anyone sees when they walk in the house, so I want something that looks nice, as well as performs well.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Well, by now, I hope you have wrapped up the deal.

Keep us posted.

Oh - Welcome to Piano World!

Thank you!

The movers and I are scheduled to go pick it up and pay for it on Monday. I had pretty much already decided, but came across this forum while researching and thought I'd run it by you all while there was still time to back out if I needed to. smile

I think I am almost as excited as my daughter. Maybe I'll even try to start picking it back up again....I haven't played since I was a kid. Maybe my third daughter will want to try it in a year or two as well.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano!

Sure, why not pick it up again? Learning to play is even better when it is a family affair.

There is a PW tradition you need to know about - We always want to see pictures of the piano in its new home!

Marty in Minnesota

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Congratulations on your new piano!

Sure, why not pick it up again? Learning to play is even better when it is a family affair.

There is a PW tradition you need to know about - We always want to see pictures of the piano in its new home!

Will do.

By the way....I just noticed you're in Rochester, MN....I was born there!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I don't want to be a buzz-kill but $800 for a well maintained Acro is a fair price but no steal. Right now on Craigslist for Los Angeles, no Acro (console) is listed for more than $500. I do however really like Acro consoles. They have a polite, musical sound that makes them great home pianos and they're not so heavy that you can't pull it out to vacuum back there once in a while.

CStrong, welcome to PW. When do you start your lessons? It's what happened to me and is a not so uncommon story around here.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by KurtZ
I don't want to be a buzz-kill but $800 for a well maintained Acro is a fair price but no steal. Right now on Craigslist for Los Angeles, no Acro (console) is listed for more than $500. I do however really like Acro consoles. They have a polite, musical sound that makes them great home pianos and they're not so heavy that you can't pull it out to vacuum back there once in a while.

CStrong, welcome to PW. When do you start your lessons? It's what happened to me and is a not so uncommon story around here.

Kurt

Thanks! You're not a buzz-kill. I was not thinking it was a "steal"....just looking to make sure I'm not getting completely ripped off. smile I wouldn't be surprised if I get the urge to piggy-back off my daughter's lessons sometime soon. At least I can still read music...it's just that my hands don't automatically do what my eyes are seeing anymore...I have to stop and think about it. LOL!

N
N
Some Spinet Trivia for those Spinet Doomsayers out there. All of Jerry Lee Lewis' Recordings were done on a Spinet in the Studio. Sure he played Grands in Larger halls but his Preference for Spinet Pianos is very well documented.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
Some Spinet Trivia for those Spinet Doomsayers out there. All of Jerry Lee Lewis' Recordings were done on a Spinet in the Studio. Sure he played Grands in Larger halls but his Preference for Spinet Pianos is very well documented.
I don't think tonal quality was high on his list of priorities.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission