2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2036239 02/20/13 07:10 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I read somewhere that the sound of a small grand will deteriorate over time, especially in the bass. So whilst a brand new piano might sound great when you buy it after a few years it might not be so good.

Is there any truth in this?

I'm still thinking along the lines of a new piano as the Kawai GE30 really stood out for me. But I have found a few other pianos in the same price range that are a bit larger but also older. For example a Yamaha C2 and a Boston 178 both from the late 90's. My own U1 is now 13 years old and still performing perfectly well.

At the moment apart from the new Kawai I've only been looking at pianos on the Internet as I haven't yet had time to go and play. There is no rush so when the time comes I will try as many as possible. But for now I thought I would just ask the question about new, small grands.

Pianist and piano teacher.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chris H.
I read somewhere that the sound of a small grand will deteriorate over time, especially in the bass. So whilst a brand new piano might sound great when you buy it after a few years it might not be so good.

Is there any truth in this?

No more (or less) than any other piano of any other size.

Some parts of all pianos are relatively stable; the basic structure, the string frame, etc. Other parts are wear-related such as hammers, action components, etc. And the life expectancy of other components such as strings (especially bass strings) and soundboards are somewhat time-related but are also affected by many other variables such as use, climate (localized micro-environment), environmental pollution, etc. But all of these are completely independent of size which has no affect on the projected life span of the piano at all.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 02/20/13 08:35 AM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for that Del,

So if the sound of any piano Deteriorates I wonder if there could be a situation where a new small grand has an acceptable bass which then becomes unacceptable whereas a larger piano may go from very good to good? Does that make any sense?

I've played quite a few older grands under 5.5 feet in length and most seem to be lacking. Of course it could be that design has improved more recently and the newer pianos will stand the test of time. Hmmmm.

Another quick question then...

Has piano design changed significantly in recent years? Taking a Kawai for example, is a brand new RX2 that much different to a ten year old one? Or in other words can you buy a ten year old piano safe in the knowledge that things will not have moved on a great deal or is newer always going to mean more advanced?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Get you a 7 footer and be done with it... smile

Even in a deteriorated state, they sound better than smaller pianos. wink

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ah yes but you see I've kind of been there before with a bigger grand.

I have a smallish room for the piano and the last one I had was overpowering even at 6 foot. Now I know everyone will say that you can play very quietly on a large grand and I accept that. However there is no getting away from the fact that larger pianos generate more sound and volume when you want to play forte. If not then you would find small grands on the concert stage. Either that or small grands wouldn't exist. I am an advanced pianist and like to play big repertoire. If I'm playing something which requires fortissimo I don't want to have to hold back for the sake of my hearing.

The ideal size for me would probably be around 5 foot 8 inches. But most makes of that size are out of budget so I either need to compromise a bit on length or look for something second hand. The GE30 is a compromise at 5 foot 5 but I liked the sound. I remember playing an older one at college ten years ago which didn't do it for me but the new one may be a different design, I don't really know.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Some time ago when I looked for my own grand I played on a small Feurich grand in the shop of our local piano technician (around 170 cm). It was not for sale but in for minor work and regulation. Probably around 40 years old.

All I can say is it was wonderful. Warm and clear. If it would have been for sale I'd have bought it in an instant.

What does this prove? Not a lot but: At least some small grands can sound beautiful after quite some time!

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yes of course.

I'm also following the other thread about a new or used RX2 with interest. The point about hammers becoming hardened through use causing harsher tone is worth considering perhaps more than any deterioration in tone. It was useful to read the old thread about oldfingers and his RX3 which is pretty much what happened to me with the Steinberg grand a few years back.

At least with a used piano you know how it sounds when it's been used!

Maybe my room just can't handle a grand, I'm not sure. I just miss the action and presence so it would be nice to find something suitable.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Do you know a piano technician who is skilled in action rebuilding/tone regulation? Talking with one or more who produces work that you like can be very helpful in identifying good prospective pianos for you.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
I think that bass strings for smaller pianos lose their quality faster than those in larger pianos. I also think that the sort of voicing that is done on hammers of small pianos may be detrimental to their longevity. But given all the variables, it is difficult to say for certain.

Semipro Tech
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
The guy who services my U1 is pretty good. He's due to come next month so I'll ask him what he thinks.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Do you know a piano technician who is skilled in action rebuilding/tone regulation? Talking with one or more who produces work that you like can be very helpful in identifying good prospective pianos for you.

That's what I think and I have one in mind. Please send me a PM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
I think that bass strings for smaller pianos lose their quality faster than those in larger pianos. I also think that the sort of voicing that is done on hammers of small pianos may be detrimental to their longevity. But given all the variables, it is difficult to say for certain.

Two things come to mind.

A lot of small pianos have dubious quality control from the outset. Thus the bass strings may be of lesser quality controlled origin in the first place. I can think of several recently built brands that fit this category. This would account for faster tonal deterioration. For instance, oil contamination straight from the winding shop or contamination from improper handling during the build. Or just poor winding mechanics in the first place.

Secondly, many of these same pianos of lesser genetic background come with hammers that are totally unsuited to their scale and sound board. They require massive amounts of voicing to sound even reasonably decent to the point of bringing on an early demise.

If you eliminate those two issues (and probably a bunch of other QC issues), I can see no reason that either system would lack longevity.

Last edited by Dale Fox; 02/20/13 09:50 PM.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
BDB,
What mechanics of wound string deterioration would be different with scalar issues?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rickster

Rick

Perhaps I've just played some super lousy pianos... but I've played 7 footers that sound worse than some spinets.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Chris H.
Ah yes but you see I've kind of been there before with a bigger grand.

I have a smallish room for the piano and the last one I had was overpowering even at 6 foot. Now I know everyone will say that you can play very quietly on a large grand and I accept that. However there is no getting away from the fact that larger pianos generate more sound and volume when you want to play forte. If not then you would find small grands on the concert stage. Either that or small grands wouldn't exist. I am an advanced pianist and like to play big repertoire. If I'm playing something which requires fortissimo I don't want to have to hold back for the sake of my hearing.

The ideal size for me would probably be around 5 foot 8 inches. But most makes of that size are out of budget so I either need to compromise a bit on length or look for something second hand.

For my 2 cents worth, I'd suggest looking at second hand. 5'8" grands can be a great piano.

Originally Posted by musicpassion
Perhaps I've just played some super lousy pianos... but I've played 7 footers that sound worse than some spinets.

Yea, that's the thing about pianos... subjective perception. Beauty is indeed in the eye (or ear smile ) of the beholder.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by musicpassion

Yea, that's the thing about pianos... subjective perception. Beauty is indeed in the eye (or ear smile ) of the beholder.

Rick

Very true.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Rick

This grin

I think over 6' is where things really start to get good. At one point, I had a 5' baby grand and I preferred the sound of a 52" upright. Really small pianos are nice to look at, but for someone with a discerning ear, the tone is usually lacking.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission