2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Most of my memorization process is basically muscle memory.
There is a big chance that I will lose my spot and I will not be able to continue. That is why ,if possible, I always perform with music in front of me, but it just does not look cool performing that way. Do you guys memorize note by note and phrase by phrase until you really remember the notes that you need to press at any bar? Please do help on this. Thx in advance.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've never tried to memorize note by note, but I do memorize structures within a piece such as starting notes in phrases, intervals, chords and scales. For example, I might remember to start a "chunk" on a F minor chord or perhaps begin a progression of thirds on a C. I sometimes practice a piece in chunks, backwards or forwards, to test my memory of those starting places. If I get lost, I can always return to one of my starting places and recover. Occasionally, I try to "write down" the piece in my head, but I've never actually tried to write it on paper. I can also visualize places in the score.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thx Deborah. It really helps to know the memorization process.

Are you able to hum the melody line from the beginning to end?
Is this one of the way to ensure we remember the flow of the music?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
RonaldSteinway:

First, it is completely historically valid to use the music. Bach, Haydn, Beethoven and Mozart did. In his later years Svyatoslav Richter peformed with the music, with a small lamp on the piano, and a page turner. And, very recently, Anthony Tommasini, chief classical music critic for the NY Times, wrote an entire article on the properness of doing so.

Secondly, regardless of whether you use the music or not, it is most important that you learn your music in terms of not just only the notes but also the underlyng harmonic structure.

That means that you go through every piece and you write in pencil above each chord what it is, using letter names just like a jazz or pop piece.

Once you do that, then you start to organize your fingers laterally on the keyboard according to what you see vertically on the score. Each key is a whole or a half step corresponding directly to that chord.

Once you get a sense of how the work is put together, then you will develop a more natural sense of flow.

I bet you can walk around your house in the middle of night without bumping into things. That is due that fact that you already know where everything is. The piano is no different.

If you know your music, even if you temporarily slip up, you will know where you are, and you will be able to continue. There has not been a concert pianist in history to whom it hasn't happened.

Accordingly, how you memorize a piece has a lot do with how it is compositionally put together. I memorize Bach, one hand at a time. Some teachers have you sing along. I find that tedious, but if you can't sing it, then you can't play it.(F.Busoni)

The fastest learners are those who can sight read it, sing it in their head, and follow the harmony all at the same time.

Good luck.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Are you able to hum the melody line from the beginning to end? Is this one of the way to ensure we remember the flow of the music?

Yes, but for me, this comes effortlessly. The hardest part is interpreting the melodic lines. Sometimes I "play" the piano in my head, trying to identify the phrasing and rubato. Sometimes I "listen" to the music in my head but imagine an opera singer's phrasing. I find this very helpful but also extremely difficult.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I find it helps a great deal to memorize the left hand alone, especially if it is jumping around. I always try to identify patterns to help me memorize.

Best regards,

Deborah
O
O
If you can hum a tune you heard on the radio (or iPod or whatever) you have it memorized - whether you realize it or not.

This may seem overly simplistic but personally I just play a piece enough times (or a section of it) that I've internalized the melody and can sing it in my head or out loud. This of course builds muscle memory too - simple repetition.

Many of us I think make memorizing a more difficult task than it need be. Do you hum the piece to yourself when you're away from the piano? Good chance you have it memorized...there might be one or two trouble sections where your fingers forget where to go next...but that skeleton is in place.

What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Muscle memory is the least reliable memory type. Have you ever read The Musician's Way? It talks about how to build a mental image of your repertoire -- the music becomes such an innate part of you that a memory slip is nearly impossible.

I worked with a colleague recently who took a similar approach with me -- he had me take the first phrase of a piece, and describe it out loud. I had to describe what it sounded like, what the physical movements felt like, basically everything BUT the notes on the page. Afterwards, I was able to work through my pieces on my own, memorizing in this way, and it's true -- a memory slip is waaay less likely when you learn music in this way.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I agree with a couple posts here that using one type of memory alone is not good enough to memorize something as complex as a piece of music.

When I memorize something, I memorize the notes (visual), the movements (kinesthetic), the music melody/line/etc (aural), and I try to anticipate where the music is going (cognitive). Sometimes, to give my fingers a break, I will listen to a recording to help with the aural and cognitive sense of the music, and if I add the score, I'm adding a visual element as well. If it's a truly difficult piece, I'll watch a video repetitively and practice another memorization skill, imitation. (Not necessarily to play exactly like the performer, but to imitate the performer's movements.) But I haven't had to use that one in many years. The more advanced you get, the less you have to rely on imitation.. but at the beginning, especially, it can help quite a bit.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
All, thx for the advice. I will try all these methods.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Okanagan Musician
If you can hum a tune you heard on the radio (or iPod or whatever) you have it memorized - whether you realize it or not.
[...]

In this case, surely the "it" refers only to the melody and not to the piece. If I know the melody (themes) of a piece well, that doesn't necessary mean that I have all the complex harmonies, the accompaniment patterns in both the right and left hand, the various inversions of chords all memorized, too. There are more complexities to memorize than just the melody line.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
O
O
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Okanagan Musician
[...]

In this case, surely the "it" refers only to the melody and not to the piece. If I know the melody (themes) of a piece well, that doesn't necessary mean that I have all the complex harmonies, the accompaniment patterns in both the right and left hand, the various inversions of chords all memorized, too. There are more complexities to memorize than just the melody line.

Regards,

Great point. However at this point association often sets in. Generally memory in songs is triggered by a few different "points" in the piece - these points are usually the beginnings of sections and important phrases.

Being able to memorize the entire melody is a great starting point, because it sets your trigger points in place already. From there it is often easier to remember what left hand/embellishments/accompaniments go with particular points in the melody.

What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally I prefer not to use music for many reasons, among them, turning pages, how many books can you carry and how about poor lighting.

The more you study the more you will uncover what you don't understand and eventually conquer it.

Find the difficult passages and know exactly what finger plays which key.

It's very rewarding to know a score by memory that you once found difficult to sight-read....or to even play it with the score for that matter.

rada

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
There are more complexities to memorize than just the melody line.

No lie. If there even is a melody to sing - I sure can't sing Chopin's Op. 10, no. 1, for just one of an endless number of examples.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
The more music theory I learn, the more I can break down a piece analytically in both macro and micro respects and while I've proven I can memorize music without the use of this knowledge, I find doing so incomparably easier and quite simply better through an exhaustive analysis (this understanding also translates to how to play the piece).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
There are more complexities to memorize than just the melody line.

No lie. If there even is a melody to sing - I sure can't sing Chopin's Op. 10, no. 1, for just one of an endless number of examples.

The singing melody is in the left hand ... with occasional countermelody amongst the right hand arpeggios.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Muscle memory is the least reliable memory type. Have you ever read The Musician's Way? It talks about how to build a mental image of your repertoire -- the music becomes such an innate part of you that a memory slip is nearly impossible.

I worked with a colleague recently who took a similar approach with me -- he had me take the first phrase of a piece, and describe it out loud. I had to describe what it sounded like, what the physical movements felt like, basically everything BUT the notes on the page. Afterwards, I was able to work through my pieces on my own, memorizing in this way, and it's true -- a memory slip is waaay less likely when you learn music in this way.

This is the best advice on this thread! Thanks!

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
S
S
"Muscle memory" (better termed "proprioceptive memory", because it also comprises memory of what your joints are doing when your muscles contract) is essentially stored data specifically about the individual movements you've been making in the course of practising a passage, nothing more. It forms unconsciously and automatically as an inevitable consequence of just making the movements. The pianist's problem when playing is how to gain access to this data reliably and just in advance of when it's needed. I think the key to understanding how revolves around the general principle that all purposeful, voluntary movements are made and learned in the context of trying to achieve some very specific goal - which for the musician, is invariably some succession of well-defined, especially desired sounds. Your ability to mentally recall the particular sounds you wish to play next, automatically (i.e. by a formed association) accesses the "address" in the brain where the proprioceptive data needed for configuring each of the succession's required movements is stored. This ability to recall a passage's sounds mentally is clearly stated or alluded to in what everyone has posted here so far.

Being able to imagine the pitches of a passage's melody (or, at any rate, of the most salient voice of a passage) is usually sufficient to reliably accomplish this accessing. For me personally, though, I like to be able to imagine the complete sound that will be emerging from the piano following each playing-movement, as I find doing this causes my movements to be far more accurately controlled. But consciously absorbing them is much more exacting and painstaking work than just absorbing the sounds of a single voice, in my experience - especially in the case of atonal pieces!

Almost all of my practising time on a piece is spent trying to absorb and recall each sound in as much detail as I hear it in actual audible terms. By the time I'm satisfied I can do that, I generally find I've learned, along the way, an efficient movement for producing each sound faithfully and that I simply know which keys to move to next without any conscious consideration at all - so long as I'm able to keep my attention focused on the memorized sounds going on inside my head.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
memorisation process

And all because of bum sight-reading skills.

Nobody memorizes a book ...
from the age of 6 years we learn to read the words ...
and can read a whole page from Harry Potter in 30 seconds flat.

“Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say
that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
They were the last people you’d expect to be involved
in anything strange or mysterious,
because they just didn’t hold with such nonsense.”
(thank you JK Rowling)

So why the blight with reading a keyboard score?

Please chaps ... dump any persnickety response
lumbering through the history of music.

Why can we read a book but not a keyboard score?

without sounding like the piano needs retuning.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb

Why can we read a book but not a keyboard score?

Reading a book is totally different from reading a keyboard score.

Reading a keyboard score needs much more processing capability.
When we read a keyboard score we need to:
1. Need to know the notes.
2. Need to know how many counts.
3. Need to know the location of the note.
4. Our muscle need to be instructed where to press.
5. Need to read both LH and RH.

All of these have nothing to do with memorizing the notes.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Neatly put Ron ... but questioned
“Reading a book is totally different from reading a keyboard score.

Reading a keyboard score needs much more processing capability.
When we read a keyboard score we need to:
1. Need to know the notes ... (letters of alphabet).
2. Need to know how many counts (long or short word)
3. Need to know the location of the note ... (grammar).
4. Our muscle need to be instructed where to press (eyes read).
5. Need to read both LH and RH (two eyes capture instantly).

All of these have nothing to do with memorizing the notes.”
(See bracketed responses ... as in easily reading a book)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission