2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Is anyone from this board planning to attend the big Music Teachers National Association convention and trade show in a couple of weeks? Fifteen hundred studio piano teachers under one hotel roof in Disneyland. The mind reels.

I'll be there.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, Peter, I'll be there. I'm not at all happy with the venue - there are other hotels with better facilities and lower prices. I cannot imagine what MTNA planners were thinking.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
It's a goofy venue, John. [Ouch - ed.]

Hope to meet you, and any other PW folk!

Peter

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
It's a goofy venue, John.

Ha Ha!

[Linked Image]
Sorry to say I won't be there. I hope you post about it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I will likely be there on the weekend.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
wish I was there...

Ok, here's me asking a favor:

If you think that me (as a composer, a teacher and a publisher) would have anything to do with such a convention, would you be so kind to notify me well in advance, in order to see if I can actually arrange being there?

P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Nikolas, I actually find the trade show the best part of the MTNA convention. Many publishers showcase their most recent offerings, and many piano teachers load up on music to bring home to Nebraska. It's not only the big guns in piano publishing who are represented: every year there are a couple of booths rented by small publishers or single compsers. They often complain about the cost, but they show up just the same.

Click on mtna.org and start considering your finances towards next year. I believe it will be in Chicago, and it's always held in March or April.

P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Minnie, if you want to blow your cover, we could certainly get together for a coffee. I'm skipping the Pedagogy Saturday, but I'm there all day Sunday (and after).

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/21/13 03:02 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Peter,

Many thanks for this... I'll check the website and see how it can work. If I can't make it, perhaps a representative from the States could potentially be there...

I'll see!

EDIT: If I was in the States I'd be sure to join in... I don't think that 800$ for the booth (plus peripherals) is too much... But then again there would be other expenses involved, and with me coming from Greece it's something to consider (plus the hotel fees, etc)... hmmm...

I'd love to join, I really would. Perhaps there's a way. I'll see...

Last edited by Nikolas; 02/21/13 08:19 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I would love to go, as I'm only 2 hours away, but Saturday is our CM day and I'll probably be too exhausted to venture out on Sunday just for the day.

Is the MTNA convention as big as MTAC's? (I might have asked this before....)

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Minnie, if you want to blow your cover, we could certainly get together for a coffee. I'm skipping the Pedagogy Saturday, but I'm there all day Sunday (and after).

Peter, please PM me if you find out that Minniemay is really a 250 pound man...or some other startling fact. Ha ha.

P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Dumdiddle, there are usually somewhere around 1500-2000 people at an MTNA convention, between attendees and exhibitors. For a fair devoted to studio music teaching (not the classroom), that's pretty big. Not a sea of humanity exactly, but big enough that there are multiple activities scheduled at one time.

Ann: OK, you'll be the first to learn Minnie's secret.

P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I don't think that 800$ for the booth (plus peripherals) is too much... But then again there would be other expenses involved, and with me coming from Greece it's something to consider (plus the hotel fees, etc)... hmmm...

I'd love to join, I really would. Perhaps there's a way. I'll see...

Nikolas, if it would help tip the balance, I'll buy you a club sandwich at next year's MTNA convention. That would save you the cost of one meal. But I won't do it for a US representative: we want you!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

Peter, please PM me if you find out that Minniemay is really a 250 pound man...or some other startling fact. Ha ha.

Hahaha! I've actually lost 25 pounds via WeightWatchers this year and am a bit more svelte.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So...

What's the biggest gathering for musicians/performers/teachers/alike then in the US? If I understand it correctly MTNA is National while MTAC is California "only" in which case it should be smaller, no?

Peter: many thanks. As I said I'd love to join, and if I can find a way to get to Chicago for cheaps, I'd may as well do it!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, the MTAC Convention is a monster of an event. It's not just teachers and presenters...parents and their kids have recitals, competitions, and master classes. There are always 2 or 3 events going on at the same time, and it's impossible to attend all of them.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Nikolas and others: the National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy is the other biggie national US conference/convention, specifically on piano teaching. It takes place every other year, near Chicago. I'm guessing it might be half the size of the MTNA affair, but it also has a trade show and publishers' showcasing component. I'm not sure how the cost would compare for an exhibitor, but you would meet some key people in the teaching trade.

http://www.keyboardpedagogy.org/nckp-2013

We in Canada have our own biannual convention of studio music teachers (mostly piano), and this summer we're in Halifax:
www.cfmta2013halifax.ca

This would be a smaller affair than Yankees put on - maybe 200-300 people will attend - but it's friendly, and easy to meet people.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/21/13 03:49 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know that this is turning rather off topic, but I'm quite interested in these... Plus I got to learn all these new acronyms, which meant nothing to me. I now know that MTNA and MTAC mean grin

It's impossible to attend all, unless they are very close together and I could travel once in the USA and stay there for a month or so... But it doesn't seem this way...

The MTNA booth is 800$
The MTAC booth is 500$. But there are some sketchy details about tables and stuff.
The Keyboard pedagogy thingy (Clavier companion is behind this?) is 850$...

Presentation in MTNA is 800$ for 60 minutes, and 400$ in MTAC for 50 minutes, and 750$ for the Keyboard pedagogy so...

Now, what's interesting is that I'm too late, but the Canada thing, and the keyboard pedagogy thing seem to be close together. Plus I will probably be in Dallas, TX, for a festival and my own works performed around the mid of July, so this could work. but alas I'm too late for all of this now... I need to plan ahead for 2014 now!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Nikolas!
I am happy to hear that you are planning ahead!
Please check this link

If you submit this proposal and get accepted, then you do not need to pay 400$ for 50 minutes in MTAC convention.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas

The Keyboard pedagogy thingy (Clavier companion is behind this?) is 850$...

The "Keyboard pedagogy thingy" has a familial connection to Clavier Companion magazine: both are run by a non-profit enterprise saluting Frances Clark, one of the early big guns in the US pedagogy game (Music Tree was her method book).

But most people in the US pedagogy game are the same cast of characteers, and it would be rather the same crowd of attendees as MTNA. Just smaller.

Check out the Texas convention. Maybe it's at the right time for you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission