2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hi everyone,

As an absolute adult beginner (i.e. I know where middle C is and that's about it!), is there a series of instructional books that anyone would be willing to recommend? I would like a series that teaches the basics of music theory (i.e. enough theory to be able to read sheet music) with the main focus being on playing. There are a dizzying array of options out there and I just want to start off with the best tools possible (I notice that some members in this forum are using a series from Alfred publishing). Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
wow...you bought a new grand and only know where middle C is...that is brave...

I recommend a teacher.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark...
wow...you bought a new grand and only know where middle C is...that is brave...

I recommend a teacher.

Originally Posted by Estonia17151
I just want to start off with the best tools possible

In that case, I highly concur.

If you have that kind of money, do not try to learn on the cheap. Get a good instructor and really learn to play well.

Don't even think about doing it on your own. With that instrument, you have a chance to experience something really beautiful in your life. Go all in !

Last edited by dmd; 02/20/13 05:58 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
OP Offline
E
Hi Don,

Thanks very much for the link - I will give it a good look!

E
OP Offline
E
Hi Mark,

Yes - I thought to take the plunge and learn something new with an instrument that I could grow with. I think I will follow your advice and look for a good teacher as well.

Thank you for your input!

E
OP Offline
E
Hi Don,

I will take your feedback as well as Mark's and find a teacher!

Thanks again for your advice!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Glad to hear it.

Please come back periodically and play us a "tune".

Don

Originally Posted by dmd

Killer link Don. I was not aware of that method. I flipped though the preview pages and it looks GOOD! Wish I had known about that earlier.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ron88
Originally Posted by dmd

Killer link Don. I was not aware of that method. I flipped though the preview pages and it looks GOOD! Wish I had known about that earlier.

If you take advantage of the optional videos and the forum I think it could provide very high quality instruction.

Don

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by dmd
Glad to hear it.

Please come back periodically and play us a "tune".

Hi Don,

Will do - thanks again!

W
W
Welcome aboard Estonia17151. This is a great forum! I have an instructor and we're using the Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1. She really likes this book because each lesson introduces me to a new a letter note, practice techniques, theory, and music to play. I'm enjoying this learning experience! I hope you will too!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Estonia:

BTW ... The link I gave you might still be a nice book (plus videos) to use when taking lessons. Your instructor might very well agree to utilize it as the main book for your lessons. It is very good.

Usually, each instructor has their favorite method books but it is something to consider.

http://fundamentalkeys.com/index.html

Last edited by dmd; 02/21/13 10:06 AM.

Don

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by warlock214
Welcome aboard Estonia17151. This is a great forum! I have an instructor and we're using the Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1. She really likes this book because each lesson introduces me to a new a letter note, practice techniques, theory, and music to play. I'm enjoying this learning experience! I hope you will too!

Hi Warlock,

Thank you for the welcome! I agree completely - the PW forums were extremely helpful for research purposes in the time leading up to the purchase of our piano and are continuing to be so thanks to members such as yourself, Don, Mark, and fizikisto - thank you all! I will definitely have a look at the Faber series. Best of luck with your learning experience as well!

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by dmd
Estonia:

BTW ... The link I gave you might still be a nice book (plus videos) to use when taking lessons. Your instructor might very well agree to utilize it as the main book for your lessons. It is very good.

Usually, each instructor has their favorite method books but it is something to consider.

http://fundamentalkeys.com/index.html

Hi Don,

I perused the method you provided last night and it looks great! Once I find a teacher, I will definitely refer them to the link. In the meantime, I think that I might just go ahead and give it a try anyway!

Thanks again.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Rachel Jimenez, Fundamental Keys author, used to be a frequent contributor on the teacher's board. I agree that Fundamental Keys looks well thought out. Have you considered Skype lessons with Ms. Jimenez?

The two book series Adult Piano Adventures series looks good for self teaching and seem more oriented towards what I call functional piano vs. preparing ever harder classical pieces for grades or certificates. If your main goal is accompanying yourself or others on songs while laying a foundation for more serious classical playing or delving into jazz/blues, you might want to take a look.

Good luck and welcome to piano and PW.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Rachel Jimenez, Fundamental Keys author, used to be a frequent contributor on the teacher's board. I agree that Fundamental Keys looks well thought out. Have you considered Skype lessons with Ms. Jimenez?

The two book series Adult Piano Adventures series looks good for self teaching and seem more oriented towards what I call functional piano vs. preparing ever harder classical pieces for grades or certificates. If your main goal is accompanying yourself or others on songs while laying a foundation for more serious classical playing or delving into jazz/blues, you might want to take a look.

Good luck and welcome to piano and PW.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, I have looked at the Adult Piano Adventures and am also considering this series as an option.

I did not consider lessons by Skype (mainly because I did not know it was possible!) - what a great idea! I will also look into this as a possibility. As I mentioned in my initial post, there are many different options available - I sincerely thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission