2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
The reality is that as the "synth" side of the PX-5S really started to develop, there was a lot of discussion as to whether or not the PX-5S would be a Privia or something entirely different. The 2-tone black / white look is actually borrowed right from our XW series synths. Needless to say there are many 88 note synth / piano type objects that don't have them. As mentioned in another thread, there are so many elements in the sound engine that I'm much happier that we were able to get put in rather than something that doesn't have anything to do with the sound of the product like a music rest.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
I think the PX-5S looks like a really exciting new keyboard. However I also think they made a mistake in not including a music rest. The PX-3 just fitted into a simple groove in the top of the unit and whilst it was not the greatest design ever it served a basic need. Many people will purchase the new Casio as a gigging keyboard often as a piano rather than a synth and these users are likely to prefer the inclusion of a music rest.

Of course as James illustrates you could just put up a separate music stand behind the keyboard but maybe manufacturers are thinking that no one reads sheet music anymore.

I think Casio made an error here as it is so simple to include a basic music stand and please many potential customers.

Let's support music reading - all 88-note keyboards should have a music rest.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Like so many others, I'm very interested in this board - particularly as a replacement for my FP-4. Unfortunately, the lack of a music rest makes it somewhat less appealing for those times when I need to read music. I have one of those folding stands pictured in James's post above; I wouldn't trust a large music pad or book on one of those in a performance situation. Carrying a heavy-duty stand just makes it more of a hassle. Result? I'm returning to the Nord Piano for the time being. But the PX-5S remains high on my list of possible future band instruments. It seems that Casio is really trying to create a remarkable new flagship out of the PX-5S, and I sincerely hope it's a runaway success.

Last edited by voxpops; 02/22/13 09:30 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm sure there are far more robust music stands available - that one sells for just 12.00 GBP on Amazon.

The point I wished to make was that the lack of music rest shouldn't be considered a 'deal breaker' when there are plenty of other solutions available.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
James,
You're correct, but for me the plenty of other solutions which are available include the many different rigs that include a sheet music rest. I'm not saying that with malice, I want Casio to have a huge runaway success with this board (and I really think it will be). Of course I'm aware that free standing sheet music rests exist, but they inconvenient for all the reasons others have stated. And for me, there's one more. I'm interested in getting a new keyboard for my office, but I have very limited space. Having one of those beasts behind my keyboard would probably make it too cramped for me, but it would definitely spoil one of the great advantages of the PX5s (the narrow front to back width of the board). And aesthetically the stand is just an eyesore. So yes, for me it's probably going to be a deal breaker. I think it's a shame because I'd almost definitely get one otherwise; it looks like it will be a heck of a lot of fun to play with.

Warm regards,

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
So many players are putting PDFs of their music on iPads now... and there are plenty of iPad stands of every imaginable type, I'm sure there is something that would fit nicely on the Casio. I use a Satechi R1, which manages to fit on just about anything. Very stable (you could add velcro if need be), folds small and flat.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
So many players are putting PDFs of their music on iPads now... and there are plenty of iPad stands of every imaginable type, I'm sure there is something that would fit nicely on the Casio. I use a Satechi R1, which manages to fit on just about anything. Very stable (you could add velcro if need be), folds small and flat.

I find the ipad's 10? inch screen too small for sheet music, the notes must be tiny. I just measured a sheet of paper and it is 14 inches diagonal. How do people even manage reading sheet music on a small screen such as an ipad?

Casio Privia PX-150

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
adak,
It's actually a usable solution for some people. You don't have to show the entire score at once, just two or three lines with the ipad in landscape orientation can be quite readable. It also has an advantage that you can get a bluetooth foot switch to signal page turns.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
We just added a 10 electric piano demos to our soundcloud page -

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
What are the synth patches like? Is it the hex layer or other patches? How many sounds in the 5S?

There are few on the page right now but we'll be adding more. To show off some of the synth stuff combined with the arpeggiators:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/px-5s-p-xperience

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-px-5s-arpeggiation-and

Piano layered with big HexLayer:
https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-pro-px-5s-intro

I think total number of preset tones is 370. Of that we made 100 Stage Settings - which have complete knob/slider assignments.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
EP patches sound very nice. Pity none of these are in the current PX-X50 series. Maybe in another 3 years?

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Difficult to say without playing and gauging the response, but those EPs sound like they may be as good as in any sample-based DP currently available - regardless of cost. Great job, Mike and Casio!

mabraman, 2015
Originally Posted by voxpops
Difficult to say without playing and gauging the response, but those EPs sound like they may be as good as in any sample-based DP currently available - regardless of cost. Great job, Mike and Casio!

I have no problem putting them against any DP current available regardless of price or color. Keep in mind we're just showing a small taste of what this can do, the variety that the engine is capable of is quite remarkable.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
regardless of price or color.

Someone is going to have pull their finger out of those Swedish meatballs and get cracking on some new samples...

mabraman, 2015
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Agree, they do sound fantastic and competitive with higher priced boards. Hex layer sound samples sound very smooth. The sound is quite amazing to my ears.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 02/23/13 01:50 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
We just added a 10 electric piano demos to our soundcloud page -

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/

Even though I'm primarily a classical player who occasionally dabbles in film music, I'm quite tempted to buy one of these PX-5S machines when they hit the stores for use as a traveling practise instrument because they offer such excellent value for the money, especially given that my FP-7F is way too heavy to lug around. Will this model have a dedicated furniture stand and a three-pedal unit like the PX-150/350?

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission