2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, you're right about the 88 keys. We, piano players, always need the *full* range wink BTW, I am so happy with the MP6 as a touch and sound, and I even discovered a totally new area for me with few of the analog style synth sounds that worked extremely well on the Herbie's Chameleon - such a fun! If it wasn't the weight, it would have been such a great gigging machine! But the topic is about the Casio, so let's wait and see if it's going to set a new standard for a portable lightweight 88-key stage piano.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o

If you are planning to use one on stage it looks much better than black under stage lighting. This in addition to what AnotherScott has mentioned about legibility of controls under stage lighting. It catches all of the drama of theatrical lighting. Here it reflects the colors of a sunset.

That picture was taken in my kitchen. wink
There wasn't much light...except the sun which was setting. cool (and one overhead light)

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 02/20/13 02:40 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Could this be the holy grail of gigging pianos?

If this was the holy grail you'd be able to play your choice of many fully sampled APs, EPs, etc. residing on the USB drive. When will we get that?

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You don't need full sampling on a gigging board. You need that for a solo piano recording but on stage there are different rules. For example Roland SN pianos are known to be excellent for solo piano recordings and weak on a stage with many other instruments, failing to cut through the mix, etc. Being able to load samples is great but not necessary for a gigging piano.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
+1

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You don't need full sampling on a gigging board.

Weren't we talking holy grail? Nords have uploadable voices and are primarily gigging boards.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
[Linked Image]

Quick edit - just to get rid of the black box :-) It's not art or perfect in my limited time, but with some creativity , you could redesign the rest.

D
D
I tried contacting Casio, but no luck yet.

Do any of you know if the PX-5S is gonna be available in Norway? Mike?
And will it come with a damper pedal included?

I'm considering it for home playing mostly, but also for band purposes.

Really getting sick of waiting to buy a new DP though frown

I don't know the details of all the distribution world-wide, I'll see if I can get any info from my colleagues at Casio Europe.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
You don't need full sampling on a gigging board.

Weren't we talking holy grail? Nords have uploadable voices and are primarily gigging boards.

Well, everybody has his own personal view of what is a holy grail. I'd agree that the more, the better. (With a minus sign for weight and price of course :D) However as of now there is no board to offer all of it.

In my personal view:
Nord Piano is probably OK, however it is almost twice as heavy and 2.5 times as expensive as PX-5S, offers only simple split and layer versus multiple zones and it was only the latest piano to offer delay for example, not to mention more sophisticated effects and chains, keyboard is another story.

Nord Electro is lightweight, however it is not multitimbral (doesn't offer split and layer), is not full size keyboard, etc.

I can say similar things for Kawais, Rolands, Yamahas, Korgs, Kurzweils, etc.

So, in this world of *not so perfect* gigging boards, the Casio seems like the best compromise of price, weight, size, keyboard feel, sounds, features, effects, etc. which in a way makes it a holy grail to me. Yeah, if there was a possibility to upload sounds like in a Nord, it would certainly be even better but who knows if the price could have been the same...

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/20/13 07:57 PM.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dewster
If this was the holy grail you'd be able to play your choice of many fully sampled APs, EPs, etc. residing on the USB drive. When will we get that?

Wm. Busch has brought his software libraries into his Kronos. Maybe that's as close as we come to the holy grail today! Check from msg# 2436630 on at http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2437902/3 and the page that follows. Also http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

I'm looking at this thing really hard too. I had some Privia about 5 years ago that was nice and ended up moving on to a Kawai MP5 for the control and splits, etc. The 45 pound weight is a pain to lug around with the MP5 and the piano sounds are about equal.

Now with the PX5s being several generations more advanced than my old Privia it must beat down the Kawai MP5 in piano sound and now it has all the other sounds and split capabilities at like 20 pounds. I do like the MP5 action a lot but the old Privia was pretty close.

I like the black and white look, I just wish that they had an option for a music rest. Other than that this thing looks to be just what the doctor ordered.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
"I like the black and white look, I just wish that they had an option for a music rest."

This! very much this. I keep hoping that the final design will include one, but I'm not sure it will. I'm flabbergasted that some DP manufacturers don't offer one. I understand that it's a stage piano, but I really don't understand why there's not even an option to get a music rest. It's not like it's rocket science to add one to the design.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you're creative, you can probably figure out something for a music rest. The plastic ones that come with some stage pianos are flimsy. OK for sheet music, but forget about a big heavy fake book. I think a lot of people have gone to an iPad and iRealb.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
galaxy4t, yes, I can come up with some kludge to hold my sheets and fake books. Why should I? That's just stupid design, forcing your customer to come up with inelegant and inconvenient solutions to a problem that you could EASILY solve without any real increase in cost to your product. I mean seriously, drill a couple of holes and sell sheet music rest as an optional extra for a reasonable price. I would be *VERY* interested in buying a PX5s, but the lack of a sheet music rest is a dealbreaker for me. Maybe I'm the only person on the planet that feels that that way, and that's o.k, there are lots of other people who will buy this board. I just think it's silly for casio not to do it, because maybe there are a lot of potential sales that won't be made for its lack.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I have one of those. Used it with the RD-700SX. Not bad at all, with the main disadvantage being that it added another 1kg to the already unbearable weight of the piano and it could easily roll over if handled roughly.

Indeed, I can't really understand what's so wrong about providing the most basic, plastic detachable note rest which will add $0.50 to the final value.

Online Content
Did the previous/current PX-3 include a music rest?

James
x

Yes, it had one. I'm sure if you searched you'd find just as many people complaining that they don't like the music rest we had on the PX-3.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Online Content
Right, you can't please everyone...

James
x

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission