2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi DBill,

Thank you for your additional explanation. I can appreciate that for many, internet/phone sales will be preferable to driving long distances to visit a store. Again, I'm happy that you were able to find a dealer willing to cooperate and offer a good price.

It sounds like you're rapidly getting back up to speed with your piano repertoire too!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DBill
If you live a long distance from a dealer, the Internet and/or telephone calls are the only way to get a deal done.

@DBill,

Looks like I also did the negotiation over the phone (plus a few e-mails) to buy the Kawai CA95. Never had to set foot in the store which made it convenient and easy to do.

Sounds like you are enjoying the new CN34.

M
M
My Kawai Dealer is 50 meters from my office, that made it very easy to drop by now and then. I also order most things online but i don't think i would have ordered the DP without playing it.
In hindsight i could have, as the CN34 turned out to be exactly as expected and in germany we have a nice 14 days return policy for online ordered goods, but still. And the expierience that after testing almost all models of the major brands and still thinking it was the right thing gives me the confidence that i can stop looking for a while :-)

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
From here on I’ll have to spend a lot more time practicing one piece at a time as opposed to trying to play everything. There’s a “slight” difference between playing something properly as opposed to my initial attempts at playing that produce frequent winces in anyone who might be listening.

The major problems that are showing up after 35 years of not playing are timing and coordination between my left and right hands. Right now, I tend to play notes with whatever fingers are available without realizing that a couple of notes latter I’m going to need some of those “available” fingers for the sequential notes. Basically, I’ve been rushing into things that require more time and patience.

The CN34 is living up to everything that I was hoping for. Initially, I had to turn the volume control up to about 7/8 of maximum, but my initial playing was somewhat on the timid side. After I got a little more confidence (i.e. play something properly without worrying that the CN34 will fight back), I’m finding that a 5/8 volume setting is good.

So far I don’t think I’ll need extra speakers. The CN34’s speakers sound pretty good across the full note range. (Then again, my hearing range is not what it used to be.)

I’ve mentioned before that the CN34 is in a large room. This is probably a good test of the CN34’s speaker system. Here’s an old real estate video that will give some idea of the size of the room that it is in. http://tours.tourfactory.com/tours/tour.asp?t=664278

The CN34 is in “the fireplace” room, but next to the opposite wall. There are a couple of shots in the video that show an irregularly shaped tan object on the wall. (It’s actually a horse sculpture.) The CN34 is below and to the right of this sculpture - just out from the rightmost of the large windows that are between the great room (fireplace room) and the sunroom. The CN34 is low enough so that it doesn’t obstruct the view.

That's a very impressive house, DBill.

Perhaps you can post some photographs of your CN34 in its new home?

Kind regards,
James
x

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
To James & pv88

I’ll take a couple of pictures of the CN34 tomorrow (Thurs.) and hopefully will get them posted late in the day.

I practiced a little today on Rachmaninoff’s C# Minor Prelude just to see how it would sound on the CN34.

[Linked Image]

The CN34 performed like a charm. Those first 3 chords came through like rolling thunder and that was with the volume set at just 5/8. The subsequent “ppp” was also easy. You can get all the sound range you could want right off the keyboard.

P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
That's a very impressive house, DBill.

Perhaps you can post some photographs of your CN34 in its new home?

Kind regards,
James
x

I agree. I'd give my two-line octave to have a deck with those views.

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here are some pictures of the CN34 in its new home. Note: The bench was included with the piano although I’ve just ordered an adjustable height bench from Amazon.com as I need another inch or two of height. (I’ve been using a small cushion.) Also my foot tends to slide off the sustain pedal, and the extra height should help that.

[Linked Image]

For a large picture, click here:
http://www.durangobill.com/TempPictures/CN34Nbr1.jpg

[Linked Image]

http://www.durangobill.com/TempPictures/CN34Nbr2.jpg

[Linked Image]

http://www.durangobill.com/TempPictures/CN34Nbr3.jpg

[Linked Image]

http://www.durangobill.com/TempPictures/CN34Nbr4.jpg

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Thanks for the pictures Bill - your new piano looks great!

I see what you mean about the high ceilings too!

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: This image reminds me a little of the shot used in the CNx4 brochure - although it's rather more difficult finding large houses for location photography here in Japan.

[Linked Image]

On a separate note, Bill, if you have not done so already, may I recommend that you check the software installed on your CN34 to ensure it's running the latest version (currently v1.06).

To check, press and hold the PIANO1, ELECTRIC PIANO, and HARPSI & MALLETS sound buttons, then turn the instrument on. The software version will be shown in the LCD display. If it's less than v1.06, I would recommend downloading an update from this page.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
That piano sure has a great look to it, doesn't it?

Spinet pianos look great (and sound great when transformed into digital pianos).

Last edited by adak; 02/21/13 09:21 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@DBill,

Very nice pictures! As you have a beautiful house in which to add your new digital, as I am sure it sounds great in the room you have it in.

My CA95 is in a much smaller space as only 5 to 6 (out of 8) increments in volume is required to get a reasonable sound.

Originally Posted by pv88
My CA95 is in a much smaller space as only 5 to 6 (out of 8) increments in volume is required to get a reasonable sound.

It's perhaps worth noting that the CA95 speaker system has a potential output of 135W compared to the CN34'w 40W. Of course, the size of the room is significant, but the power of the speaker system is also a factor.

Kind regards,
James
x

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
To Kawai James

Thank you for the info. I checked the version number and I’ve only got v. 1.04. I’ll have to get a USB memory stick before I can transfer the update.

To poggler

The view from the decks has been updated since the real estate video. I’ve had several trees cut down to open up the view and reduce the forest fire danger. I can now sit at my desk and just turn around to see the high (12,000+ ft.) peaks similar to the following Google Earth view. (My home is in the foreground.)

Note: There are 4 decks of which 2 are on the north side with a view of the high mountains.

[Linked Image]

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
What an incredible house ! And nice piano pics. Enjoy your CN !

J
J
Okay, since this thread was first posted, I have created a video for Piano Warehouse located in Colorado Springs, so that everyone can experience the cool, laid back, cultural environment that Rick (Owner) has created in his store.

If you want an environment that is welcoming, easy going, no pressure to buy, passionate musicians/staff, then come check out Rick's Place!

If you want the stuffy, don't touch my piano, unless you're a customer and don't bother me unless you're buying, then go to a different store, because you won't get any of that here at Rick's place.

Rick is the guy that will welcome you in, sit with you on the front steps just to talk about music and he is so graceful the way he encourages you to find the right instrument for you, even if it's not in his store.

Youtube

I offered to do a video for Rick for his website (pending construction) and this is what I came up with:

Last edited by Justplay; 03/24/13 06:57 PM.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by dmd

You have to admit, it does not look real inviting/professional.

What you talkin' bout?! That's down right top notch!
You ever try to buy a piano in Deadwood? smile HHHhhhhhhuuuuuummmmmm? smile
Or how about Sturgis? Where you can't find the Harley dealer cause everyone has a Harley Davidson sign in the window. Doh!
Durango is the apitamy of Culture compared to here.

Seriously....could have at least checked it out. All I see is low overhead.

Last edited by rnaple; 03/24/13 04:54 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
J
Okay, the video is back up! Check it out!

Youtube

Last edited by Justplay; 03/24/13 07:18 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission