2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2032386 02/13/13 11:16 AM
D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is an opening post to continue the discussion about the CN34 that was bought by DBill in Colorado. I was originally planning to buy a Casio Celviano AP 650 but bought a Kawai CN34 instead. Since the subject has changed, I am starting a new thread. This new thread will provide a better location to continue talking about my experience with and an evaluation of the CN34.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Perhaps I'm wrong, but in some thread someone said something about CN34 and ES7 having the same sound engine. So you could (if I were true) take advantage of those threads talking about ES7.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
M
M
They differ in a few places and i think the cn34 is underrepresented here and deserves a bit more publicity :-)

O
O
It's just dumb luck that you happened to live somewhat close to a Kawai dealer. As many people will attest to, their dealer network is as non-existent as Casio's is and even some who live near one have been met by uncooperative dealers.

My dealer is about a 20 minute drive out of the city and seemingly has very little on the floor to try.

Shame that Kawai America thinks no one would buy a white piano. Every other manufacturer seems to think otherwise.

Last edited by ONfrank; 02/13/13 04:04 PM.
There is a thread here about a white Kawai CN34: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1983281/New_Kawai_CN34_Photos.html

Make sure to post pictures when the piano arrives.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[Linked Image]

The closest Kawai dealer to me is the Colorado Springs Kawai dealer. The photo above shows this dealer’s “store”. Photo via Google Earth street view. (Photo is actually a composite of two photos.)

To verify that this ????? is actually a Kawai dealer, go to http://www.kawaius.com/locator2012.html and fill in:
Colorado Springs, CO

Then click on “website”
Finally, compare the peeling paint above the “PI” of Piano Warehouse with the above photo.

I thought that the Denver dealer might be worth calling instead as it is a well-established large music store. I had no problems ordering the CN34 through the Denver dealer via telephone calls.

Both Colorado Springs and Denver are over 300 miles from where I live with Denver the more distant of the two.

P
P
That's pretty funny, DBill. It's probably a great hole-in-the-wall, mom and pop music shop but who knows. One thing you could do is call one of the music instruction businesses in the area and see where they refer people for purchasing pianos. With regards to the photo splice, I think that's how the Google van takes the pictures. They take a billion pictures for their street view and splice them together.

If it's any consolation, I live almost 100 miles from 2 different Kawai dealerships and I'm in a very populated part of California. It makes me wonder if the number of authorized dealers for some of these piano companies is increasing or decreasing.

I can't help but think (sadly) the number of piano stores and authorized dealers is decreasing due to the rise of online purchases. If that's the case, are they losing sales or increasing the perceived value of the product because they are more difficult to get?

Did you get to try the CN34 before you bought it or was it a blind purchased based on internet research?

I have found that if I call a piano store and they don't carry the brand of the pianos I am looking for I ask them where I can turn to in order to find them and they usually would give you a list of other stores to call.

Last edited by adak; 02/13/13 11:39 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
In the south Bay Area, I think there's only two places to see Kawai products, and they are both antiquated acoustic piano dealers primarily. [Linked Image] Both of their online web sites are fairly information free.

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
To poggler

For the CN34 and everything else that I considered, I had to depend on reviews, watch/listen to videos, etc. since it would take a full day's travel just to get to something that you could try. The only local dealer for anything is a small Yamaha dealer, and I don't think they have anything useful in-house. Thus I had to go with a blind purchase.

As you get higher up in the digital piano line, the instruments have multiple piano sounds plus multiple ways of modifying each of the piano sounds. If you start with a product that has pretty good reviews, and add in all of the piano variations, I think you can buy blindly and still end up with something that can be enjoyed.

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Kawai CN34 update

While I had a friend pick up the CN34 in Denver over the weekend and drive it back to Durango, he didn’t have a chance to deliver it until late this afternoon. (It saved me the shipping cost so who’s going to quibble.)

The box is quite heavy 74kg (163 lbs.). Neither my wife nor I can lift much weight (We’ve both had disk fusion operations.), so we just shoved the box into the garage and started unpacking it from there. After carrying the console pieces to the room where it was assembled, we skidded the box into the same room. (With the keyboard section still in it instead of immediately lifting it. )

The console part (furniture frame) went together fairly easily. Then we simply cut the box apart to get at the keyboard. (Easier than trying to lift it out of the box.) After bracing the console against a wall, (It tips easily), we could lift up the keyboard and slide it into place. It’s a lot easier for two people to do this than it is for one person. (Plan ahead.) It slid in easily and then was bolted into place.

There was also a matching bench in the box. I haven’t put it together yet, or hooked up the wires to the CN34, but that should be easily taken care of tomorrow.

Finally, the dealer threw in a set of Samson HP10 Headphones. In terms of headphone quality, you get what you pay for. (And these were free.) I won’t be using headphones much, but I can always get something a little better from Amazon if needed.

The piano itself looks pretty “sharp”. It’s a rosewood color and looks just like the advertised pictures. (For example http://store.kawaius.com/p/cn34-rosewood-digital-piano?pp=8&pp=8 ) The 3 pedals are a brass color. (Similar to acoustic pianos.)

It’s going to look good in my “Great” room. So far, it’s been a good purchase.

J
J
Rick @ Piano Warehouse is by far the BEST Kawai Dealer in the 4 state area! Rick has the best prices and the best services by far!!! Piano Warehouse has got the best reputation and the Owner, Rick has such a passion for music and wants to promote such. His prices are BY FAR better than the prices in the Denver area. That picture was taken of the Warehouse and Rick's store was on Tejon Street. However, RIck has now moved his business to the Warehouse and it is by far one of the coolest piano stores you can go to.

Here is his site: Piano Warehouse in Colorado Springs

DBill, I hope you got a fair deal and the service will be worth it, however you missed out on a fantastic deal and an opportunity to build a rapport with one of the best Kawai dealers in the area.

Last edited by Justplay; 02/18/13 11:53 PM.
D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It’s possible that I did miss something. (Who knows?) The Google Earth photo of the Piano Warehouse in Colorado Springs was an instant turn off.

In any case, I paid $2180 for the Kawai CN34 that I bought from Schmitt Music. (Included bench and headphones.) This included an instant pick-up out of inventory. Until I see evidence of a better deal, I’m convinced I got a good price.

I do have a very old connection with Schmitt Music in Denver. Schmitt Music bought out Wells Music a dozen years ago (+/-). Wells Music had been a well-established music company in Denver since the late 1800s.

“Many moons ago” I learned to play the piano on an old Steck baby grand piano that my mom’s family bought for her when she was living in Denver. They bought it in the 1920s - from Wells Music in Denver.

P
P
Originally Posted by Justplay
Rick @ Piano Warehouse is by far the BEST Kawai Dealer in the 4 state area! Rick has the best prices and the best services by far!!! Piano Warehouse has got the best reputation and the Owner, Rick has such a passion for music and wants to promote such. His prices are BY FAR better than the prices in the Denver area. That picture was taken of the Warehouse and Rick's store was on Tejon Street. However, RIck has now moved his business to the Warehouse and it is by far one of the coolest piano stores you can go to.

Here is his site: Piano Warehouse in Colorado Springs

DBill, I hope you got a fair deal and the service will be worth it, however you missed out on a fantastic deal and an opportunity to build a rapport with one of the best Kawai dealers in the area.

That looks like a fun place. I ended up going the "acoustic" route with my piano needs and the place I bought it from (while fine enough) didn't have as much character.

D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Kawai CN34 Update

As of mid-day Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 all parts had been assembled, wires connected, plugged into an electric outlet, etc. The moment for the “return to the piano” had arrived. The first tentative one-fingered “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” actually made music.

The first two pieces that I tried were “Theme from Victory at Sea” (a pay download from the Internet) and Rimsky Korsakov’s “Song of India” (page 298 in “The Library of Piano Classics” vol. 1). Needless to say that after 35 years of not playing the piano, these first trials were slow and hesitant, but everything worked.

The keys initially felt somewhat harder to play than what I remembered from a baby grand some 35 years ago. However, it only took about 30 seconds to get used to them. Other than that, the finger sensation/action involved seemed the same as the baby grand.

The tones from individual notes also seemed a little different. Again, it only took about 30 seconds before everything sounded normal.

The volume level of the music seemed less than what I remembered from the baby grand. However the CN34 is in a larger room with the ceiling varying from 20 to 25 feet high. If you set the volume control to around 7/8 of maximum for this large room, it sounds OK. Full volume will definitely not blow the windows out.

I didn’t detect any sound distortions at this level. Both low notes and high notes sound OK so I don’t think I’ll have any need for external speakers. If the room were any larger, then additional speakers would be a consideration.

Overall, I’m quite impressed with these first trials.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by DBill
It’s possible that I did miss something. (Who knows?) The Google Earth photo of the Piano Warehouse in Colorado Springs was an instant turn off.

Seriously? You ruled out a possible supplier because of a Google Earth photo? Your loss it would seem.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Seriously? You ruled out a possible supplier because of a Google Earth photo? Your loss it would seem.

You have to admit, it does not look real inviting/professional.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
[Linked Image]

The closest Kawai dealer to me is the Colorado Springs Kawai dealer. The photo above shows this dealer’s “store”. Photo via Google Earth street view. (Photo is actually a composite of two photos.)

To verify that this ????? is actually a Kawai dealer, go to http://www.kawaius.com/locator2012.html and fill in:
Colorado Springs, CO

Then click on “website”
Finally, compare the peeling paint above the “PI” of Piano Warehouse with the above photo.

I thought that the Denver dealer might be worth calling instead as it is a well-established large music store. I had no problems ordering the CN34 through the Denver dealer via telephone calls.

Both Colorado Springs and Denver are over 300 miles from where I live with Denver the more distant of the two.

It may not look professional, but it looks exceedingly inviting to me; a treat for the eyes....worth a trip to Colorado Springs if Rynair had flights going there.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm also a little surprised that DBill ruled-out the closer dealer on the strength of a Google Maps 'Streetview' photo, rather than calling or sending an email.

However, I'm obviously glad that he was able to agree terms with another dealer and purchase the piano.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
DBill Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi James,

I’m used to buying things via the Internet where geography doesn’t count. I was completely thrown for a loop with Casio which is why I ended up buying the Kawai CN34. If I had it to do over again I probably would try the Colorado Springs Kawai dealer, but for my first try with Kawai, I went for the large Denver dealer.

I had talked to the Denver dealer in early January, and they gave me a price quote on the CN34 at that time. A week and a half ago when I decided to take a serious look at the CN34, I called them again, and they said they would honor the earlier price quote. At that point it was virtually a done deal.

If you have easy access to a local dealer, I can see why a company would like to protect the dealer network from the extreme competiveness of Internet quotes. However, other people (such as “yours truly”) live a long way from any dealer. If you live a long distance from a dealer, the Internet and/or telephone calls are the only way to get a deal done.

In any case, things are going well with the CN34. In an earlier post I mentioned that I was setting the CN34’s volume to 7/8 for a large 20x20 x 20 to 25 feet high room. Now that I’ve gotten a little more playing confidence back, I’m finding a 5/8 volume setting is good.

In terms of what I’m working on now, after 35 years without playing I’m already back to pieces such as Schubert’s Marche Militaire. (Page 331, Vol. 1, “The Library of Piano Classics”) It will be awhile before I get it up to speed and I’m still occasionally get fingering a little tangled up, but it sounds great on the CN34.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission