2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2036029 02/19/13 07:01 PM
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Pianists,
I'm sorry to inform you that the FP7F is starting now outdated.

Great, just as I was informing myself here on this forum if I should get a 4f or the pricier 7f and reading the (mostly) good and informative reviews... and finaly having made up my mind for the 7f - it's gone.
I made an order online, waited impatiently for a confirmation, when suddenly I was notified that a couple minutes before my order someone else purchaced the LAST one. Ok, they still have a couple of white ones on stock, but no thanks. it's as if over night (almost) all black 7f's have been bought up, except for the more pricier ones.
I could not believe it since the 7f has been "only" on the market since 2010. Wow that went fast - 2.5 years and it's out of the market.
So I called up my connection who's got a tie to Roland, and yup, they are not being built anymore. I asked him if he's heard of anything similar or new coming out soon.
Roland will be releasing a new version in april at the FMM called... FP8!
Well let's see if my wait will be worth it.

Just wanted to inform you all, and thanks for your feedbacks.
Cheers

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Could be a good chance to get one going cheap, then, if you check round all the distributors. This is the optimal time to be buying any bit of gear, I'd have thought - just at the point it's discontinued.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
...or the price will go up if the new FP8 is not to the standard of the 7f...?????

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Interesting - Thomann.de no longer lists the FP-7F in black, which does suggest that an FP-8 will be launched at Musikmesse.

I'm not entirely sure about the model name though - Roland has already 'used' the FP-8 for a previous instrument. Of course, this was over 20 years ago, but my point remains. Perhaps FP-8F would be preferable?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
2 James: You're right. That's strange. I thought FP8 was a foot pedal... you know "fp"...
Cheers

Cheers,
Lenny

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I feel old. I remember being on this forum when theFP-7F just came out and what's leap forward it's tone and action were over the FP-7.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
I`ll bet you`d be able to get the Polished Ebony version! I was looking at `em on the local Piano Dealer`s website. They cost £1k more!!!! Unbelievable!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's still in stock at Sweetwater and J&R but there's only one left at Musician's Friend.

If Roland is indeed phasing it out, maybe the next one will be the FP-7S (Studio voice)?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
2.5 years, we'll since the DP lifetimes start to follow the product development of consumer electronics and computers more and more, I think it'll end up in a year to year replacements / updates in low and mid segments. It seems people have got used to that idea; just read all the disappointed posts in forum threads when brand A has not released a new model this year , or the next. We seem to expect something new now roughly each year no matter how marginal the improvements from the previous year may be. So yeah , no surprise the FP7 is updated.

What more to expect:
- MP6 and MP10 update,
- Yamaha CP line update,
- Perhaps finally something really new from kurzweil (although I doubt that),
- Korg SV1 update,
- Update to the aging Roland Fantom series (not likely, but still...probably ;-)
- fill in the rest...

Originally Posted by JFP
2.5 years, we'll since the DP lifetimes start to follow the product development of consumer electronics and computers more and more, I think it'll end up in a year to year replacements / updates in low and mid segments.

To be honest I think when it comes to DPs most manufacturers are iterating too slowly. Look at Yamaha's CP33, which came out in May 2006. Or Korg's SP-250, which came out at the beginning of 2008

Roland may have chosen to iterate for other reasons. If you look on synth-related sites like Gearslutz or Synthtopia there is a lot of anger at Roland for introducing lackluster digital synths that use the nomenclature of classic analog synths. And if you follow the business pages you'll see that their revenues have been flat for years and they've lost money every year since 2010. Roland financials 03/09 - 03/12 It's a different company from the one it was a decade ago, and it is making different business decisions, sometimes out of necessity.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
The FP-7F seems to be in stock at most major online stores in the US.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JFP
2.5 years, we'll since the DP lifetimes start to follow the product development of consumer electronics and computers more and more, I think it'll end up in a year to year replacements / updates in low and mid segments. It seems people have got used to that idea; just read all the disappointed posts in forum threads when brand A has not released a new model this year , or the next. We seem to expect something new now roughly each year no matter how marginal the improvements from the previous year may be. So yeah , no surprise the FP7 is updated.

What more to expect:
- MP6 and MP10 update,
- Yamaha CP line update,
- Perhaps finally something really new from kurzweil (although I doubt that),
- Korg SV1 update,
- Update to the aging Roland Fantom series (not likely, but still...probably ;-)
- fill in the rest...

What he said ..... smokin

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
FP7F seems mostly sold out at many online stores here in Europe. Even the white ones...

Perhaps it will be a pre-Messe announcement/ introduction. Happened before.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
What's a pre-Messe announcement?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Musik-Messe in Frankfurt 10 ~ 13 April ; sometimes new products get introduced before the actual event (NAMM / MESSE). Since the FP7F is already out of stock and the Messe is still 1 1/2 month off, Roland might introduce the FP7F successor before the Musik Messe and generate some sales and receive extra attention. Alternative is no new FP and no stock = no FP sales till the event (apart from small leftovers).

Sometimes product announcements get a bit lost in the overwhelming amount of new gear that is shown at a NAMM or other show. An extra reason for a "pre-Messe (in this case) release". As far as I remember the MP6 and FP7F we're released before a NAMM show as well. Makes sense IMHO; first get full attention and create a hype - then let people come to the event to see the product for real.

So , for the FP fans, hopefully ....

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I was just in Cunningham Piano today. They have at least 2 in boxes and one on the floor.

I'm thinking of getting a computer program. Is the FP 7F a good option as a controller?

Last edited by Dave B; 02/27/13 10:11 PM.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
@Dave: If you can resist having Mod wheel/Pitch bend and controllers such as the e.g. A88 or RD-700.
I'm 'waiting' for the successor of the F7, with the hope that the keyboard is the same (or better) than the F7. ....and with more control possibilities for external equipment.

Cheers,
Lenny

Online Content
Originally Posted by Dave B
I'm thinking of getting a computer program. Is the FP 7F a good option as a controller?

Assuming you are intending to use a software-based virtual piano such as 'Ivory', I would suggest a piano-oriented controller such as the new Kawai VPC1.

www.kawaivpc.com

Kind regards,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Assuming you are intending to use a software-based virtual piano such as 'Ivory', I would suggest a piano-oriented controller such as the new Kawai VPC1
x

+1 !

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Is the FP 7F a good option as a controller?
It's a good option in that it is a capable controller with good action, but the other suggestions like VPC1 and A88 or even RD-700NX will offer more and better control settings. Lots of them, especially in the VPC1.

The FP-7F is more of that good compromise DP with a lot of all-around quality, but few specialties. It's all about how you use it.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Lots of them, especially in the VPC1.

The FP-7F is more of that good compromise DP with a lot of all-around quality, but few specialties. It's all about how you use it.

Why would you say especially the VPC1? What makes it a better controller than the others? To me it seems to be 'only' a master keyboard without internal sounds, or other controls such as pitch bend, Mod wheel or even 'dumb' knobs or faders to control a PC/mac.
Just wondering, because I'm also still in a kinda limbo state on deciding which one to choose.

Last edited by Cmin; 03/01/13 04:21 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cmin

Why would you say especially the VPC1? What makes it a better controller than the others? To me it seems to be 'only' a master keyboard without internal sounds, or other controls such as pitch bend, Mod wheel or even 'dumb' knobs or faders to control a PC/mac.
Just wondering, because I'm also still in a kinda limbo state on deciding which one to choose.

What can make it it better, as a piano controller, is the pre-programmed customized velocity curves for a bunch of the popular software pianos. The other things you mention, like internal sounds or pitch/mod wheel, wouldn't make it a better piano controller.

A
A
I just caught this post now. Sorry, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I played the FP-7f and not sure why many seem disappointed to see it go. When I was shopping pianos I played the fp-7f in comparison with the Kawai ES7. I thought the ES7 was superior to the fp-7f it touch , sound, and quality. Yes the fp-7f has wooden keys (yet loud and clunky) and a bunch of other accompaniment features that might seem more desirable, mostly just marketable. But if it's piano sound and feel you are looking for and features that matter (i.e. 256 poly & 3rd sensor) the ES7 is the better choice and better price. I purchased a CA95 but prior to purchase I was overwhelmingly impressed with the ES7. Im sure the FP-7f replacement will now have the same significant features of the ES7 but probably going to add another $500 to the retail price. People really need to take a closer look at Kawai. Too bad Kawai dps aren't as accessible to try and buy as Roland and Yamaha. Maybe a good thing for Roland as their sales/stocks are already dropping significantly over past few years.

S
S
Originally Posted by Ashley2013
I just caught this post now. Sorry, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I played the FP-7f and not sure why many seem disappointed to see it go. When I was shopping pianos I played the fp-7f in comparison with the Kawai ES7. I thought the ES7 was superior to the fp-7f it touch , sound, and quality. Yes the fp-7f has wooden keys (yet loud and clunky) and a bunch of other accompaniment features that might seem more desirable, mostly just marketable. But if it's piano sound and feel you are looking for and features that matter (i.e. 256 poly & 3rd sensor) the ES7 is the better choice and better price. I purchased a CA95 but prior to purchase I was overwhelmingly impressed with the ES7. Im sure the FP-7f replacement will now have the same significant features of the ES7 but probably going to add another $500 to the retail price. People really need to take a closer look at Kawai. Too bad Kawai dps aren't as accessible to try and buy as Roland and Yamaha. Maybe a good thing for Roland as their sales/stocks are already dropping significantly over past few years.

i couldn't agree more! I didn't care for the FP7F at all - with all the hype i was really let down.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Ashley2013 and Mitzysman

I also agree with you both! I was in the market for a dp and tried many brands as all are easily accessible in the Boston, MA area. My final choices were and CA65 and ES7. Both great, bought the ES7 as it was a better fit, price and size for my needs. I tried the FP7F before I decided on the ES7 just to make sure I wasn't missing anything in that price range. I must admit Im always intrigued with all the Roland hype. First off, I wasn't a huge fan of the on-board speakers of the ES7 until I heard the horrible ringing distorted sounds of the FP7F. It was like a child's toy. Keyboard is very nice but as you say "loud and clunky". Just because the keys are wooden doesn't mean it's automatically better, just better marketing. So to be fair, I tried both with headphones. The Roland SN piano is very good for the most part, however, still can hear some sort of odd ringing tone around and above middle C. Almost distracting while playing some different pieces. Was able to edit sound and touch to help it a bit. I must admit I even heard that tinny ringing sound even in the RD700nx too. Might just be me and my hearing. When I played the ES7 it was near perfect with rich sound right from hitting the power button and no tweaking and even gets better with Virtual Technician. Of course the ES7 is not without faults, but compared to the FP7F the Kawai is a clear winner. Im not really sure why Roland is considered to be the best in the dp business. Maybe the best in marketing to convince us of that. In Roland's defense, maybe they were aware that the product needed improvement, hence the discontinuation. Have to come up with something every few years regardless. Im sure a little planned obsolescence isn't out of the question at Roland. Anyways, let's wait and see if the FP-8F is the Kawai Killer ;-)

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 03/15/13 09:33 AM.
Online Content
It's perhaps worth pointing out that the Roland FP-7F keys are plastic, not wooden. Indeed, no current Roland digital piano features wooden keys.

James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought the PHA III were as the RM3 Gf

Online Content
I believe a closer comparison with Roland's PHAIII keyboard action would be Kawai's RHII keyboard action. Both employ plastic keys, offer triple-sensor detection, Ivory-like surfaces, and escapement/let-off simulation.

Cheers,
James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, no wonder why I like my ES7 RHII keyboard more than RD700nx and FP7F. So, even the V-Piano has plastic keys? That's a big box for plastic keys. Not to mention a lot of $$$. Sorry for being misinformed. I should not post until I check my facts. My bad.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 03/15/13 10:53 AM.
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Basically they are all made of plastic - on the outside. I don't think it really matters what's inside as long as the weight is right.
(...as long as it's not real ivory)

Cheers,
Lenny

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Some of us don't want wooden keys. Plastic doesn't dry out or absorb moisture (no shrinking or expanding to cause key movement issues.) I want a zero maintenance device!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission