2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Sam, trust your skill as a pianist. In the clip, the big R.H. chords were beautifully voiced, and I mean that from the pianistic definition and not the technical term. The 'sparkle' on top is beautifully executed.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Sam, trust your skill as a pianist. In the clip, the big R.H. chords were beautifully voiced, and I mean that from the pianistic definition and not the technical term. The 'sparkle' on top is beautifully executed.

Ah, yes. Voicing. Something I didn't even know existed until about a year ago. I remember feeling angry when I found out about the concept. "You mean I have to play ALL these blasted notes, AND I have to play some of them louder??!! What the *&$%!!"

I don't think I played them all that well in this clip, but I appreciate the compliments anyway. I'm trying to get my playing up to a level that I'm satisfied with, but, alas, it has not happened yet.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Your new piano will help you get there. Trust me!

Marty in Minnesota

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Thanks for that information Del! I don't think I'm going to have anything done to the hammers. I think they are the original hammers that were put in in 1978, and they have very little wear. As far as you not having heard the piano, since you're already here, you CAN listen to it! I posted a couple recordings a couple posts up (the one with the pictures). I'd love to hear your professional opinion after listening to those. I've never interacted with you directly on this forum, but I love reading your posts, so thanks for coming here to this thread and posting (a pleasant and unexpected surprise!).

It’s pretty hard to tell from a recording. But from the sound of it they probably are original hammers. In 1978 they would have been pressed by Baldwin and you may have lucked out and avoided the worst of the chemical days. The certainly don't sound over-cooked! Again, having a technician who knows his/her way around hammers will be critical. A light sanding, some careful string fitting, etc., should improve things quite a bit. You may have lucked out.

This piano would also have had Pratt, Read or Pratt, Win (both equally bad) wippens. Whoever is regulating the action needs to pay attention to the friction at the repetition lever center—making sure it is high enough. If this friction at this center is too low it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to regulate hammer drop and rise.

If you have the opportunity to replace the wippens the newer, single-spring wippens by Renner or Wessel, Nickel & Gross (my current favorite) should be a noticeable improvement over the original.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think I played them all that well in this clip, but I appreciate the compliments anyway. I'm trying to get my playing up to a level that I'm satisfied with, but, alas, it has not happened yet.

Well, if my playing had been that good, I would have been very satisfied with myself. VERY satisfied!

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Del
This piano would also have had Pratt, Read or Pratt, Win (both equally bad) wippens. Whoever is regulating the action needs to pay attention to the friction at the repetition lever center—making sure it is high enough. If this friction at this center is too low it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to regulate hammer drop and rise.

If you have the opportunity to replace the wippens the newer, single-spring wippens by Renner or Wessel, Nickel & Gross (my current favorite) should be a noticeable improvement over the original.

ddf

In 1978, they would have been wippens of the Baldwin design, with the single spring with a loop in the middle going from the repetition lever to jack. Baldwin did not buy Pratt Read from Sohmer until at least the mid-1980s. Pratt Read may have made the parts for Baldwin earlier than the buyout.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
In 1978, they would have been wippens of the Baldwin design, with the single spring with a loop in the middle going from the repetition lever to jack. Baldwin did not buy Pratt Read from Sohmer until at least the mid-1980s. Pratt Read may have made the parts for Baldwin earlier than the buyout.

If memory serves, the geometry for each was similar and they both had the same problem. Through the 1970s it was common to purchase two sets of PR parts in the hope of being able to come up with enough good ones to make a full, working set.

When I went to work at Baldwin in early 1985 the so-called Pratt, Win action plant had been in production in Juarez for several years. I don't remember when Juarez actually began building actions.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 02/13/13 07:06 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I get jealous the more I read this thread.. If you bought this in socal, then I totally missed out.. Unless it was not a public sale.oh well, ill be on the lookout.

M
M
very cool smile

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
I get jealous the more I read this thread.. If you bought this in socal, then I totally missed out.. Unless it was not a public sale.oh well, ill be on the lookout.

Happy birthday! Maybe I should give you the piano for your birthday. Or maybe not wink
It was a public sale, but it was an estate sale (advertised on craigslist and elsewhere) and I got there 5 minutes after they opened. I was so pleasantly surprised by the instrument, and we all know that happens far too rarely. You win some, you lose some. I usually lose on the good ones (probably to you, and the dealers), so it was nice to win one!

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
thx!! this probably wont be your last piano.. so it will be a battle between us all.. lol

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Hey.. Maybe if I'm ever around your area, I can swing by and check out the piano.. Are you in LA/Hollywood?

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Yes I am smile

PM me your phone number or something and we can set something up. I'm always down for meeting up with PW members!

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Well played, sir.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been vacinated for PAS...you can't aquire a piano if you have no place to put it. If I had somewhere to put more, I would probably be infected.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
I've been vacinated for PAS
There's an antidote!

Marty in Minnesota

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
I've been vacinated for PAS...you can't aquire a piano if you have no place to put it. If I had somewhere to put more, I would probably be infected.

I had that vaccination, but the disease developed immunity. I found another place to put pianos, and now I have full blown PAS again...

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
I definitely have had PAS for some time now. The first time I found a second piano that I wanted, it was an upright Steinway in very nice cosmetic condition---and it was free. Sadly, my wife stopped me from getting it.
The good news is that apparently even my wife may have symptoms now! :-)
Just last month I found a 1937 Baldwin L for only a couple hundred dollar and I was on my way to picking it up when the niece to whom I was going to give it (she was interested in rebuilding it with me) got a Steinway upright as a surprise wedding gift while she was on her honeymoon, and suddenly didn't have room to put this grand, too. Two days later, my wife had an idea about giving it to the school where our children attend (the school loved the idea!), but by that time the owners found a school in their neighborhood which agreed to take it. I couldn't believe how disappointed my wife was---even though she fully realized I was going to be working nights and weekends to restore that piano *at the school*.

I would say that qualifies her for the condition, don't you think?

(edit 2/21)
P.S. Couldn't help adding a picture or two. Boy, sure hope it has found a wonderful home.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steve in Cincy; 02/21/13 01:39 PM.

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
You know you have PAS when you just purchased a piano and are still looking at piano sale listings afterwards.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Steve in Cincy, that's awesome! Your wife is really cool.

Gatsbee, that's how I know I have a really severe case of the disease. I've been known to look at piano listings on my phone while purchasing a piano and while watching the movers move it.

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission