2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2035730 02/19/13 10:17 AM
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Have a look at this animation to see how a piano action might have worked had Monsieur Erard not complicated things.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
B
B
What's with the string flopping back and forth indefinitely after you hit it?

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Cool. Do you think that would actually work? Looks to me like the jack would just get hung up on the hammer.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are still a lot of single escapement actions in regular service. Seem to be parts missing in the model perhaps.

Stoßzungenmechanik

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Isn't virtual reality SO much better than the real world with all that complicating stuff getting in the way of things!!!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That animation is not really worth commenting on...
oops, I already did....

JG
J
J
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
There are still a lot of single escapement actions in regular service. Seem to be parts missing in the model perhaps.

Stoßzungenmechanik

It must be a nightmare trying to play pieces like 'La Campanella' or 'El Contrabandista' on a piano with a single escapement action.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Liszt probably played them more often on single escapement pianos than on double escapement pianos.

Semipro Tech
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Stoßzungenmechanik

Dan, what was the approximate date of this one and what were its virtues? Zeitter & Winkelmann made some good pianos, at least they did in the 1920s.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jorge Andrade

It must be a nightmare trying to play pieces like 'La Campanella' or 'El Contrabandista' on a piano with a single escapement action.

Well, remember that Liszt marked La Campanella as allegro not presto or “as fast as possible.”

The staccato movement would be in the fingering and I’ll bet those early players of jack mechanic actions were well practiced.

Early Liszt is from the period when he probably thought that the piano being a percussive or percussion instrument there was no point in making any attempt at legato. (El Contrabandista)

One might as well enjoy frolicking in most head-spinning skips and repeated notes. Just don’t destroy the instrument by the first intermission which was often the case with the heavy handed Liszt.

Oh my, that could be considered classical blasphemy…. Don’t let any members in the pianist’s corner know.

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Withindale

Dan, what was the approximate date of this one and what were its virtues? Zeitter & Winkelmann made some good pianos; at least they did in the 1920s.

Hi Ian,

The instrument is from 1904 if I recall correctly. I would have to look at the client files to be sure but I think it is around that mark. The instrument is short at 5 feet, but with the square tail it has unusually good tonal qualities. I thought the build quality was solid; personally I liked the instrument.

One thing that was unusual, I found the original bass string set with German loops instead of the tougher English loops. Usually it is the other way around; the treble wire has the German loops and the bass string set has the English loops( see the Blüthner thread running below)

Very light touch similar to the Blüthner Patent Action. The adjustable flanges up top allow changes in touch weight to a certain extent. Had a spot of trouble with the new hammer set and had to remove quite a bit of molding materials to get back to proper balance.

W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
The instrument is from 1904 if I recall correctly. I would have to look at the client files to be sure but I think it is around that mark. The instrument is short at 5 feet, but with the square tail it has unusually good tonal qualities. I thought the build quality was solid; personally I liked the instrument.

Thanks, Dan.

The early years of the twentieth century must have been a great time for pianos, such a variety of instruments, composers and styles.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
If you don't get it, it's because it doesn't show the hidden magnetic repulsion unit.
laugh crazy

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Is this an existing action type?

It looks like you just left out crucial parts (jack, repetition lever, shank) and renamed the back check in jack. I would not expect that it would work this way since the back check is ment to stop the hammer as good as possible in its motion instead of pushing it up.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
You are right.

Perhaps it was an answer to one of those questions University Professors like to spring on unsuspecting students, "Given this key, hammer, damper and string show how a grand piano action might work".

If you didn't know about them already Erard's double escapemnet action and Lexow's interesting single escapement one that Dan Silverwood put up would be far from obvious.

Just a minor diversion during a lull on this forum.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Withindale

Thanks, Dan.
The early years of the twentieth century must have been a great time for pianos, such a variety of instruments, composers and styles.

Indeed, I have restored more instruments from the 1900-1930 era than any other time period. It was I believe the golden age of piano building.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission