2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Originally Posted by mickangel33
The website is pianoranking.

M

An interesting set of opinions, but without background and methodology, the lists aren't anything but lists.

Well, as long as you're going to comment on it, I'll assume it's a permissible detour on your thread. grin

I agree with the lack of background, but methodology is really tough with acoustic pianos. There's been some success with digitals because they open themselves more readily to quantifying measurables. You're not stuck on dark, bright, full, thin, deep, and all that stuff.

With acoustic rankings, maybe the best you can hope for is that it's an honest effort and not a sales ploy concocted by an inside interest. Ultimately, you compare it to your own and possibly find some matches, possibly not.

The thing I noticed about this site is that it took on specific models. IOW unlike Fine for example, it didn't stay just at the brand level. It was also willing to reveal some of its shortcomings.....only one sample of a Bosie 130 (unprepped at that) and apologies for not getting to Vienna, apologies to Yamaha for putting up the S and not the CFX, and a sharp divide of opinion on AF rather than any consensus. Those are only examples. There were more.

I sent an email asking for more info on the composition of their ranking panel. I'll post something if they reply.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Anyone interested in pianos like those showing up on the pianoranking lists might find more substance (and, of course, no shortage of opinions) in this blog:

http://www.highendpianoguy.com/

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Eric doesn't rank pianos.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
"from the minute I touched this piano it was number one on my list, and there was no number two -- though I played lots of really nice pianos. It was like the "thunderbolt" moment in the novel, The Godfather.

This is exactly what "should happen" when making a purchase:
there are many testimonials here by people involving much less suspect makes than Steingraeber.

To me Keith's comments were enjoyable to read as he, as several others here, has across a GREAT NUMBER of top class pianos in his life.

Once these "seasoned travellors" have found something truly special to them, it might be just worth taking it pretty well at face value "accepting the ride"...

Why not simply "enjoy"?

Norbert smile

Indeed. That was the intent I read into Keith's original post and a lot of the great followup comments consistent with it.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber

M

My thoughts,

This pianoranking site could be something of substance, but without more information it is of little value. Further I like "group rankings" much better than an order that appears to say "first place", "second place", etc.

Even though the author says this is not a strict ranking, it certainly asppears to be just that.

Also, IMHO, the author is not a native english speaker. I only say this because the choice of wording is sometimes awkward (but so is mine occasionally) and the misspellings are simple words that could have been easily proofread.

Either that or it was slapped together.

My quick 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That is not a very useful website. All the top pianos seem to be "regular", with the top brand being perfectly regular.... thumb
(...I know what is meant, but compulsory interpretation and needless ambiguity and are not helpful...)

JG
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

M

My thoughts,

IMHO, the author is not a native english speaker. I only say this because the choice of wording is sometimes awkward (but so is mine occasionally) and the misspellings are simple words that could have been easily proofread.

My quick 2 cents,

I think from the syntax the original is French, a far bigger curse than not being a native English speaker. grin

Jurgen,

I took it to mean regulation. But I could be wrong. I don't have experience with piano action laxatives.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

M

My thoughts,

This pianoranking site could be something of substance, but without more information it is of little value. Further I like "group rankings" much better than an order that appears to say "first place", "second place", etc.

Even though the author says this is not a strict ranking, it certainly asppears to be just that.

Also, IMHO, the author is not a native english speaker. I only say this because the choice of wording is sometimes awkward (but so is mine occasionally) and the misspellings are simple words that could have been easily proofread.

My quick 2 cents,

Agreed. For the little we all know, these folks could be real piano experts, but their lists purport to be hierarchical with no explanation of the system employed or the people employing it. They may be independent experts, they may be affiliated with some in the industry, or they may be no experts at all -- we just don't know.

In addition to not displaying qualifications or metrics, there's very little explanation of the basis for distinctions among the various pianos described, and the few distinctions drawn are done using language so general and subjective as to convey little information.

Again, these folks may be top-notch, and their blog may develop into a rival for Piano Buyer, but lacking either quantitative or qualitative evaluation factors, it has a ways to go.

Personally, I got a lot more information out of Keith's humorous original post, and from various descriptions others here have posted about different pianos they have acquired or played.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
J
J
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
If you buy a new Steingraeber, you will regret it. I don't know how else to put this. Consider yourself warned by one who knows.

We received a shipment of new Steingraebers on Wednesday of this week. I can no longer sleep, eat or concentrate.

On Wednesday, we opened a 212 and a 192. After working a 12 hour day, in which most of it was spent doing mind numbing tasks, I made the mistake of sitting down at the 212.

I blinked and 2 hours had gone by. It was close to 11 pm and I didn't care. I hadn't eaten since breakfast and I didn't care. All I wanted to do was play this piano. I was smitten. Bach, Brahms, Mozart, Bartok, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and more got played and each sounded better than the last. I enjoyed playing the piano. I wanted to practice. I wanted to play. The piano was inspiring me. It was teaching me. It was helping me sound better than I deserved, yet at the same time showing me how very far I had to go. I had thoughts of giving concerts. I was ready to toss it all, find a cave somewhere, and it would just be me and a Steingraeber and I would do nothing but practice, play and compose.

I fell in love with that piano. Seriously. Love. I was so deep in love that I asked that Steingraeber to marry me. I knew I wasn't worthy, but I thought I could become a better man if only that piano would have me.

Well, fortunately for me, it didn't respond to my proposal, because today we finally got around to opening up the 232. I would like to express my response to that piano, but this is a family website.
What the heck. HOLY MOTHER @#(*@#(@&#(@&#@(#&@(#&@*&#(@&# how is it possible?
That 232 is so good, my head exploded. Literally. That is the only reason I stopped playing. KABOOM. Head exploded. It is some kind of miracle that I can even write this with an exploded head. It shouldn't be possible. I think I am summoning my last bits of strength to warn others, so they don't share the same fate as me.

Please listen. Unless you want to end up wanting to marry a piano, while no longer being able to take care of your normal responsibilities such as concentrating at work and being productive, not to mention completely ignoring your basic human needs such as eating and sleeping, quite possibly ending up living in a cave by yourself with only a Steingraeber piano, and spending what is left of your life with an exploded head, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A STEINGRAEBER PIANO.

heck, it is playing with fire to even try one.

I know for some of you this will fall on deaf ears, but if I can just save one person from my fate, it will all be worth it.

I would write more, but I have to leave. The only hardware store that sells surgical quality duct tape for holding one's skull together is closing soon, and if the rest of my brain falls out, I might drool on the Steingraebers as I play them and that just seems wrong somehow. Although, I suppose that might disuade anyone from buying one of them and taking them from me. Mine! All MINE!!!!!!! MuahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Well, if you have gotten this far, you cannot plead ignorance. Whatever fate you suffer at the hands of a Steingraeber piano is your own fault.

You have been warned.

I like this post, it's funny, and not attacking anyone.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hmm
Do you know why Steingraebers are so uknown in the piano lovers industry? IF they are horribly well made - better then Steinways Faziolic Bossiec etc, so why the are not in big concert halls and CD's used as recorded pianos?

Is it really only the case of marketing?
If yes - why they do not do the same what Fazioli is doing- from few years everybody is talking about Fazioli.

To be honest, I know the Steingraeber name from at leat 10 years, but I NEVER RECOGNIZED IT AS TOP-END PIANO MAKER. Just some on of many european piano makers which is putting their pianos on festivals and etc.

So, if they are so damn good, why still so little people know this company, or if they now - why it's not recozniged as the same class as S&S, Bossie, Shigeru etc?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It is recognized in the same class as S&S, Bossie, and a number of others. It is the Shigeru which is not quite there yet. But the Shigeru is a very fine instrument.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
B
Bossie? Did someone have a cow, man?

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Yea BDB - The first time around it was a "Bossiec." I think that's a new religion competing with "Faziolic." I just used his odd spelling.

Marty in Minnesota

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
I finally got a chance to play the Steingraeber D-232 that Keith commented on in the original post in this thread.

It's every bit as good as he said.

Just before I stopped by the shop, they had received another D-232 that was even better than the one Keith wrote about. At least, in my opinion, it was a bit better.

There are obviously many different types of fantastic pianos, and what one likes best will be driven by one's personal taste and playing style.

To me, though, I can't imagine I piano I'd like more than that D-232.

Well done, Udo and PianoCraft.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by jinorden
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
If you buy a new Steingraeber, you will regret it. I don't know how else to put this. Consider yourself warned by one who knows.

We received a shipment of new Steingraebers on Wednesday of this week. I can no longer sleep, eat or concentrate.

On Wednesday, we opened a 212 and a 192. After working a 12 hour day, in which most of it was spent doing mind numbing tasks, I made the mistake of sitting down at the 212.

I blinked and 2 hours had gone by. It was close to 11 pm and I didn't care. I hadn't eaten since breakfast and I didn't care. All I wanted to do was play this piano. I was smitten. Bach, Brahms, Mozart, Bartok, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and more got played and each sounded better than the last. I enjoyed playing the piano. I wanted to practice. I wanted to play. The piano was inspiring me. It was teaching me. It was helping me sound better than I deserved, yet at the same time showing me how very far I had to go. I had thoughts of giving concerts. I was ready to toss it all, find a cave somewhere, and it would just be me and a Steingraeber and I would do nothing but practice, play and compose.

I fell in love with that piano. Seriously. Love. I was so deep in love that I asked that Steingraeber to marry me. I knew I wasn't worthy, but I thought I could become a better man if only that piano would have me.

Well, fortunately for me, it didn't respond to my proposal, because today we finally got around to opening up the 232. I would like to express my response to that piano, but this is a family website.
What the heck. HOLY MOTHER @#(*@#(@&#(@&#@(#&@(#&@*&#(@&# how is it possible?
That 232 is so good, my head exploded. Literally. That is the only reason I stopped playing. KABOOM. Head exploded. It is some kind of miracle that I can even write this with an exploded head. It shouldn't be possible. I think I am summoning my last bits of strength to warn others, so they don't share the same fate as me.

Please listen. Unless you want to end up wanting to marry a piano, while no longer being able to take care of your normal responsibilities such as concentrating at work and being productive, not to mention completely ignoring your basic human needs such as eating and sleeping, quite possibly ending up living in a cave by yourself with only a Steingraeber piano, and spending what is left of your life with an exploded head, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A STEINGRAEBER PIANO.

heck, it is playing with fire to even try one.

I know for some of you this will fall on deaf ears, but if I can just save one person from my fate, it will all be worth it.

I would write more, but I have to leave. The only hardware store that sells surgical quality duct tape for holding one's skull together is closing soon, and if the rest of my brain falls out, I might drool on the Steingraebers as I play them and that just seems wrong somehow. Although, I suppose that might disuade anyone from buying one of them and taking them from me. Mine! All MINE!!!!!!! MuahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Well, if you have gotten this far, you cannot plead ignorance. Whatever fate you suffer at the hands of a Steingraeber piano is your own fault.

You have been warned.

I like this post, it's funny, and not attacking anyone.

Actually, Keith Kerman is diabolical! He is an evil genious trying to take over the entire piano world!!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Actually, Keith Kerman is diabolical! He is an evil genious trying to take over the entire piano world!!

[Linked Image] I guess that means that Rich has competition in the quest to become Piano Master of the Universe!

Marty in Minnesota

P
P
I finally got a chance to play the Steingraeber D-232 that Keith commented on in the original post in this thread.

Just before I stopped by the shop, they had received another D-232 that was even better than the one Keith wrote about. At least, in my opinion, it was a bit better.

There are obviously many different types of fantastic pianos, and what one likes best will be driven by one's personal taste and playing style.

To me, though, I can't imagine I piano I'd like more than that D-232.

Well done, Udo and PianoCraft.

Is it better than your Steingraeber D-232? If so, how?

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Every bit as good. smile

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I had the same exact experience as Keith...only it was on a Steinway.

K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K

FWIW, these 2 videos are of the Steingraeber 232 that ClsscLib liked so much. The instrument in these videos has sold and is no longer available.
The dynamic range in the Scriabin on this recording is quite large, so if you turn it up too much while it is soft ( it starts quite softly) , it might get too loud for you when the music gets to its more powerful moments. For those of you not familiar with this particular piece by Scriabin, you are in for a treat. Such a great piece of music.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission