2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2034038 02/16/13 01:20 AM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I am aware of imperfections, but still, I hope you enjoy, and would love some comments. Wish I played violin, but this works too smile

https://www.box.com/s/l3ldpiszr1j10oz48ijv

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Stop it! *sigh* Sorry but...this is just too good; you're making us half-hopefuls look bad! laugh 12:39-ish variation... !!! You know I'm in no position to say with any validity (at least by now smile ), but, um, this sounds pretty technically solid to me and there's some interpretation going on...it may be a while before Grimaud is shaking in her bootlets, but...well, I won't say you *will* get there grin However, um, I doubt there's anyone in attendance who'd tell you to give up on it; perhaps by the time you've polished this and are performing it in front of the awed masses I'll have gotten past the first few pages ^>^ I...well, um, sorry, but it'd be remiss of me to not indicate; I'm not a fan of the Picardy third in this piece...but I just hate major chords and *musically* I'm not sure that's all that hefty an argument against popping it in there...*grumble* laugh
Xxx
P.S. Fan-bloody-tastic work!

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Bravo! It must be quite thrilling to play a piece like this. I think if one made a list of very great pianists one would would find that a significant percent of them have played this work.

For those like me, who cannot hope to play this piece because of it's technical requirements, I recommend the Siloti transcription which is probably the closest to the Busoni version but significantly easier (although I think it still sounds quite good):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQqvhwaD4w

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks to both of you for listening!! smile Yes, this is very thrilling. Such RAW passion smile I will listen to the Siloti arrangement; I've never heard it before.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 02/16/13 11:24 AM.
B
B
Good stuff.
I have the Bollet performance, always thought one needs 12 fingers to play this thing...

Surprisingly, Busoni had rather small hands.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
OSK, a very musical rendition of this piano realization. I've heard other performances which tend to overemphasize the virtuosic implications, which IMO has the cumulative effect of driving the poor piece into the ground. For me, this was a quite satisfying presentation, in the rough general terms of honoring the many emotional peaks and valleys of this extraordinary piece.

As good as this was, though, I still remain unquestionably more a fan of Brahms' realization, for the left hand alone. For me, confining the demands to one hand alone inherently creates a better "match", if you will, to the struggles of a solo violin.
Brahms composed this realization (I hate to even call it a transcription, although it is much closer than Busoni's to Bach's original conception) for Clara Schumann in the late 1870s -- a little trifle for her to work on while her injured right hand was healing. If you haven't as yet visited the Brahms composition, I strongly recommend that to your attention - to assess comparative visions, if nothing else.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your comment! I'm also very familiar with the Brahms arrangement, though I haven't played it. I'll read through it again sometime.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
...and you want to be a choir director??? grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for listening and commenting! Yes, I do; I'm not going to give up playing classical piano, though!! My choir director was a good pianist in his undergrad and master's days. One of his big pieces was the Prokofiev Toccata (which my teacher wants me to learn; wish me luck).

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I know many, many conductors who are fabulous pianists, so you will be in good company smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
I know many, many conductors who are fabulous pianists, so you will be in good company smile

My dad was an accomplished organist and pianist. He could play, conduct, and chuck a hymnal at miscreants while hitting the target, all at the same time, without missing a beat.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That made me laugh, because I can just envision that smile

Conducting class went very well today. We've actually been working a lot with conducting Gregorian chant, and that's helped a lot. Next semester I want to take instrumental conducting courses as well as choral conducting studies smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
That made me laugh, because I can just envision that smile

You'll get there... grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
S
S
I'm overawed, OSK. This, for me in all honesty, ranks among the great recorded Chaconne performances - spectacular playing that's wonderfully sensitive to its ever-changing textures and at the same time magically capturing the large-scale narrative drift of Bach's (and Busoni's) architectural vision. I've bookmarked it and will surely find myself re-listening to it repeatedly over years to come.

My sincerest thanks,

Richard

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you very much for listening and enjoying!! I still plan on fixing a couple misreadings and improving the recording quality.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Thank you very much for listening and enjoying!! I still plan on fixing a couple misreadings and improving the recording quality.

OSK - By all means do so. Get it to the point that YOU are satisfied with it - then please share the new version with us so we can enjoy it as well !!!!

It's been a real pleasure to observe your growth as a musician over the past few years. Keep playing, learning and improving your conducting skills. I think you have a wonderful career ahead of you.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Bravo OSK !

I have listened to parts of this and it seems you have almost solved all the technical difficulties. Of course there is still room for improvement.

That said, I would use the pedal more sparingly for the moment. You have learned the notes and brought the tempo to a certain level. But this is still not your piece yet. You have a long way to go.

I am sure with time you will get this to a perfect level and own the piece.

Thanks for sharing and please do post another one soon.

F
F
Congratulations!! I really love Bach, I really love Busoni and I really love your performance!!

I think you've done a great work with this beast, so you can be very proud.

Thanks for sharing!! laugh

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all of you! Hakki, someone else also pointed out some pedaling issues to me, and I will be much more careful with my pedaling in the future.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think this is one of the best recordings here at PW (and elsewhere too).
You should (and will) be a conducting pianist!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission