2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wow this series is great! I highly recommend it. For an adult beginner like myself I am learning a lot about the development of music. Howard is a presenter on Classic fm ( British classical radio station). His presentation is interesting and easy to understand. Who would have thought the humble triad would be so important to music development! He starts right at the beginning of human music with the Paleolithic cave dwellers. The current episode is about the age of Beethoven- I have yet to watch this one. I'm on the episode about the development of orchestras. If you can watch BBC iplayer do watch this series!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
He's OK for an organist.

Laissez tomber les mains
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Did you notice he's using a Roland V Piano with all of the I.D. markings blacked out?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bluebilly
Did you notice he's using a Roland V Piano with all of the I.D. markings blacked out?

No as I'm not that familiar with digital pianos- but I did wonder which one it is- so thanks for that!

Just watched the third one- surprising no mention of Franz Liszt!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

No as I'm not that familiar with digital pianos- but I did wonder which one it is- so thanks for that!

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, I have it recorded, I'm waiting until I can get a quiet period...quiet periods are in short supply in my house....Grand children!?. I liked his very understandable explanation of the evolution of music, from single line notes up to chords and even the circle of fifths, etc., I'd like to see him make a programme concentrating more on that.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, I have it recorded, I'm waiting until I can get a quiet period...quiet periods are in short supply in my house....Grand children!?. I liked his very understandable explanation of the evolution of music, from single line notes up to chords and even the circle of fifths, etc., I'd like to see him make a programme concentrating more on that.

I was jumping on the couch when he explained circle of fifths- I understood it and had not done so before! His explanations of music development are brilliant for an adult beginner. Yes, hope he makes more programmes!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Bennevis is going to hyperventilate with joy.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
His comments on Schubert upset me. Only quoted from his Lieder output, seemed to equate Schubert with Adele, considered him to be tuneful, non-dramatic etc but nothing else. Has Howard Goodall ever heard the savage outbursts in Schuberts' piano sonatas? His later string quartets? Even Winterreise, if he insists on treating Schubert as just a writer of songs. Lumped him in with Mozart and Haydn too, which would lead the novice music lover to believe he preceded Beethoven ..........

IMHO Schubert did indeed write beautiful "tunes". He also composed some of the most tragic and savage music ever written.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by sandalholme
His comments on Schubert upset me. Only quoted from his Lieder output, seemed to equate Schubert with Adele, considered him to be tuneful, non-dramatic etc but nothing else.
I think you may have misunderstood his comparison.

His express whistle through the history of music mentions great pieces of music in passing and expects his audience to already know them, if only by reputation. This is a brief summary of the history, for someone who already knows it, or a brief preview for someone who's about to start on it.

Given the influence of his symphonies, sonatas, and smaller works, it is, indeed, Schubert's lieder that have had the greatest influence on what followed and the thing that many most commonly associate with his name.

The comparison with Adele was not intended to belittle the emotional impact of his music but to associate it with what many perceive as one of the most dramatic outpourings in recent history.

Are you familiar with this?

Anatomy of a Tear-Jerker

Richard
K
K
Haven't seen these yet but have them recorded. I enjoyed his series 'Big Bangs' on Channel 4 many years ago - the book of that series is a very good and interesting read. And, of course, I am a huge fan of his great masterpiece, the 'Blackadder' theme !

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

According to the Radio Times Liszt is the main subject in the Saturday 6/02/13 programme.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

According to the Radio Times Liszt is the main subject in the Saturday 6/02/13 programme.

Good- would be a crime against music to omit Liszt!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks Richard for the link to the piece on Adele etc. Interesting. Still find it difficult to keep Schubert and Adele in the same compartment in my mind ..........

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes just read that- interesting. Watched the next instalment tonight- had a lot of Liszt! Now, I'm wondering if the next one will include the great Rachmaninov.....

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by zrtf90
The comparison with Adele was not intended to belittle the emotional impact of his music but to associate it with what many perceive as one of the most dramatic outpourings in recent history.

Are you familiar with this?

Anatomy of a Tear-Jerker

Interesting. I've never pinned it down like that. I have always said I like dynamic range. That is basically what they discovered. Dramatic use of dynamic range illicits a response. Simple... not a trick.

I'd like to see that show someday. Sounds interesting.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It's on BBC iplayer online Ron- but I don't think you can get this in the USA- however there are loads on internet channels - I think I heard of a BBC America channel where they show BBC programmes. I hope you get to see this series- it is very interesting.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sandalholme
His comments on Schubert upset me. Only quoted from his Lieder output, seemed to equate Schubert with Adele, considered him to be tuneful, non-dramatic etc but nothing else. Has Howard Goodall ever heard the savage outbursts in Schuberts' piano sonatas? His later string quartets? Even Winterreise, if he insists on treating Schubert as just a writer of songs. Lumped him in with Mozart and Haydn too, which would lead the novice music lover to believe he preceded Beethoven ..........

Why "upset"? You're either confirmed in your regard for Schubert, or you've learned something about song-writing technique. Hopefully both! There's no down-side to that.

Here's some more fun, from William Mann, the London critic who ruffled feathers a generation ago by asserting the Beatles were "the greatest song-writers since Schubert". He had rather more to go on, I think, than Goodall's citing of the currently popular chubby chanteuse. But, for the point he was making, the comparison was telling. Don't argue otherwise unless you've SEEN the broadcast!

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/27/the-times-what-songs-the-beatles-sang-by-william-mann/ http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/27/the-times-what-songs-the-beatles-sang-by-william-mann/

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Interesting article. I'm not a huge pop fan but have to say The Beatles are perhaps the best pop band ever- they did have good harmonies! Prefer their pre 1967 stuff myself. The 1960s was pop music's golden era.

However if one wants to include Sigur Ros in the pop world ( they usually are but are quite in a undefinable class of their own really) then they win hands down as the best pop band ever.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/18/13 09:42 AM.
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

Here's some more fun, from William Mann, the London critic who ruffled feathers a generation ago by asserting the Beatles were "the greatest song-writers since Schubert". He had rather more to go on, I think, than Goodall's citing of the currently popular chubby chanteuse. But, for the point he was making, the comparison was telling. Don't argue otherwise unless you've SEEN the broadcast!

Just an addition for talks sake. I remember when the Beatles came to the USA. Everyone knows that piece of film where they get out of the airliner. All those girls....they were paid. It's called bandwagon advertising.

I remember watching the Beatles take the US by "storm" with a song: I love you, yah yah yah. I'll never forget my father and I watching that for the first time. He was in fits laughing. Saying; 'I can't believe it! I love you yah yah yah?!'

Also...lets face it....those guys like Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, etc.... They had really tough audiences. If you want to really appreciate Beethoven. You should listen to a recording of Seji Ozawa conducting Beethoven. Brings it alive.

One recent music that should be compared to the greatest is: Les Miserables. Schonberg and Boublil wrote a gold mine of music. Absolutely fantastic.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beethoven was in a class of his own- not called The Master for nothing!

The composers of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were the greatest musical geniuses of the like which has never since been surpassed.

The world will never see another Beethoven, Mozart or Chopin.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/18/13 07:25 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission