2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/a-pianist-is-a-collaborator-not-an-accompanist/

I was also glad to have found the Collaborative blog that is so popular.

Last edited by music32; 02/15/13 02:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the whole "accompanist" vs "collaborator" debate is silly. All a pianist need do to be more than an "accompanist" is demand action:

Demand to be included in programs, along with a bio.
Demand to be prominently credited on recordings, YouTube videos, etc...
Refuse to work with people who don't view you as a musical partner.
Ask to be compensated on the same level as the person you're collaborating with.

Far too many pianists settle for words, and far too many instrumentalists and singers give lip service to "collaboration" instead of actually collaborating. (And far too many pianists whine about it, then go ahead and do the work anyway.)

So I'm all for getting the recognition and taking part in musical decisions, but words are cheap; it has to be put into action.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
B
In chamber music, pianists usually expect to be recognized as equal with their partners, whether they are string or woodwind or brass players (in fact, they are often regarded as first among equals when in bigger groups than duos), but a different mentality exists when they 'accompany' singers, as wittily shown by Gerald Moore in his book 'Am I too Loud?'. Unless, of course, if the pianist is a BIG name like Richter, Brendel or Schiff....

When Itzhak Perlman played violin sonatas with Vladimir Ashkenazy, they were given equal billing on programs. But when Perlman played Kreisler, Sarasate, Wieniewski and Heifetz transcriptions (i.e encore-type pieces) with Samuel Sanders, the latter was relegated to the rôle of an accompanist, and probably paid accordingly......

OK, in the Franck and Fauré violin sonatas, and of course the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata, the pianist has the more difficult part. But what about some Schubert, Schumann, Wolf (especially) and R Strauss Lieder? Often, the 'accompanist' even coaches the singer like a repetitur and builds the program, especially if the singer is inexperienced (though not necessarily unknown). Moore in his book mentions a diva who actually wanted him to omit a brilliant Wolf postlude so that all the glory would be for her.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
M
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I think the whole "accompanist" vs "collaborator" debate is silly. All a pianist need do to be more than an "accompanist" is demand action:

Demand to be included in programs, along with a bio.
Demand to be prominently credited on recordings, YouTube videos, etc...
Refuse to work with people who don't view you as a musical partner.
Ask to be compensated on the same level as the person you're collaborating with.

Far too many pianists settle for words, and far too many instrumentalists and singers give lip service to "collaboration" instead of actually collaborating. (And far too many pianists whine about it, then go ahead and do the work anyway.)

So I'm all for getting the recognition and taking part in musical decisions, but words are cheap; it has to be put into action.

Thank you Kreisler! I agree 100%. The whole name thing is ridiculous, and I just don't work with people who don't appreciate my contribution. However, I think it's much easier to say accompanist than collaborative pianist anyways. What is wrong with the word "accompany" anyways? Does it not mean to go along with? Certainly not "tag along on someone's coattails".

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 8-syllable "collaborative pianist" is too complicated of a term to catch on. When people ask me what degree I'm getting, I sometimes answer "accompanying" even though the official degree name is "collaborative piano". It just requires less explanation.

Another comment I read a while ago is that if a violinist was playing with someone calling themselves a collaborative pianist, shouldn't the violinist also call him/herself a collaborative violinist? And in that case, just drop the "collaborative" part altogether. I am a pianist.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I really like what Kreisler said. I gave a voice recital recently and my pianist thanked me profusely for not referring to him as a collaborative artist in the program lol. And he is absolutely a collaborative artist in the truest sense. I'm not a fan of 'accompanist' or 'collaborative artist' so I just call him my pianist!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It doesn't bother me either way what you say, as long as you don't say "accompany-ist" laugh

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
It doesn't bother me either way what you say, as long as you don't say "accompany-ist" laugh
haha - absolutely.

Originally Posted by Arghhh
Another comment I read a while ago is that if a violinist was playing with someone calling themselves a collaborative pianist, shouldn't the violinist also call him/herself a collaborative violinist? And in that case, just drop the "collaborative" part altogether. I am a pianist.
thumb

We don't tend to use the collaborative word quite so much here yet, and "accompanist" need not imply subservience (Gerald Moore wore it with pride). But, like Arghhh, my favourite description is pianist.

Du holde Kunst...
B
BDB Offline
B
As long as one is not a co-conspirator, indicted or not!

Semipro Tech
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
There's a cute cartoon in one of Gerald Moore's books (Farewell Recital I think), where there's a large singer in full flight on stage, and a smallish pianist collaboratively beavering away. One audience member says to another: "What's the name of her accomplice?"

Du holde Kunst...
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
agree wholeheartedly!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission