2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was born left-handed, even to this day, my left hand is bigger than right, about 0.5cm longer each finger, also stronger.

But I found playing piano as a lefty is really an advantage. I could play left-handed excercises at ease, chopin's revolution etude is my favorite as my left hand flying down the passage with little difficulty.

My right hand is also very strong, due to 30 years of forced training (In China, they harshly correct left hander at school, so I was forced to write, using chop sticks, cissor with right hand), now it has same dexterity as left hand, and only a little bit weaker in terms of strength, only a little bit, not affecting my playing at all. I think I am now truly ambidextrous, haha.

What's your opinions over left-handness at playing piano? as I am aware in US/CAN they don't force left-hand children to correct and as a result lefties might have weaker right hand here and maybe it affects your playing? any thoughts?

J
J
I don't feel it has hindered or effected me in anyway - I write and eat with my left, however I throw a ball, play golf/basketball/sport etc etc right handed.

Essex EUP-123S

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
I don't feel it has hindered or effected me in anyway - I write and eat with my left, however I throw a ball, play golf/basketball/sport etc etc right handed.

I am the opposite of you, I write, eat(chopstick) with right hand due to school forced correction, other than those, I kick, throw, playing golf, using a mouse all with my left hand/foot, but my right hand can do those things equally well without a problem, despite I prefer my left hand. My right hand's only problem is its 0.5cm shortness, and a tiny tiny bit of weakness.

Last edited by jian1zh; 02/15/13 03:59 PM.
J
J
See I prefer my right hand to do anything apart from eat and write - so most would say that I'm left handed, but I consider myself to be ambidextrous. I can write with my right hand, but takes me a lot longer and looks like I ought to have a PHD in medicine.

I am a lot more coordinated with my right hand, but I'm more controlled with the left - I'm so strange! haha

Essex EUP-123S

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
See I prefer my right hand to do anything apart from eat and write - so most would say that I'm left handed, but I consider myself to be ambidextrous. I can write with my right hand, but takes me a lot longer and looks like I ought to have a PHD in medicine.

I am a lot more coordinated with my right hand, but I'm more controlled with the left - I'm so strange! haha

You are no hardcore lefty! You don't belong to us, haha.

J
J
Originally Posted by jian1zh

Haha - but I write with the left hand! let me be one of youuuuu!

Essex EUP-123S

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm also one of those freaks who write and eat left handed but play ball right handed. I consider myself somewhat ambidextrous, but I can't play piano very well with either of my hands frown

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am glad they no longer force us lefties to write with right hand anymore in China, my nephew now write with left hand without being corrected by teacher like I used to be treated (teachers used harsh words to describe you as "weirdo", "rebel", since left-handness was considered very bad back in China). There's tools such as left-handed scissor available to public, unlike my old days, NO left handed scissors available, at least not in old days China.

I also find it's more convenient to live in 21st century as I no longer am required to write up documents with right hand, all done on computer with a qwerty keyboard which was accidentally designed to favor us lefties. Driving is also a breeze, especially for a stick shift, I steer with my dominate hand!

ETA: the only inconvenience/annoyance I've still yet to overcome is the available drilling tools on the market, although I feel comfortable enough to drill with my right hand, I'd still prefer a driller designed to suite left hand, yet CrappyTire doesn't sell any of them.

Last edited by jian1zh; 02/15/13 06:29 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I also grew up under the 'not allowed to use your left hand' law. My mother said we all reached with our left but she insisted on our using the right hand. I often have right-handed students asking me if left-handed students have it easier at the piano. Funny thing is I never know if a student I have is left or right until they use a pencil. So it seems what really matters is practice.

rada

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by rada
I also grew up under the 'not allowed to use your left hand' law. My mother said we all reached with our left but she insisted on our using the right hand. I often have right-handed students asking me if left-handed students have it easier at the piano. Funny thing is I never know if a student I have is left or right until they use a pencil. So it seems what really matters is practice.

rada

Your mother must be Chinese, haha.

Although I agree with practice makes perfection, but the dominance does affect people's playing, at least mine.

I can play those very difficult left handed etudes like a breeze, and was unware of it until I see right handed struggling with them.

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Haha - but I write with the left hand! let me be one of youuuuu! [/quote]

You can't! It's genetic, this gene runs through my family, haha.

J
J
I am left-handed but not Chinese so I grew up doing most everything but playing video games left-handed.

I can't say it's been much of a thing one way or the other. If anything, my instructor complains that I play the LH too loudly and when I told him I'm left-handed he went "ohhhhhhhhh". I guess left hand melodies are a little easier but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's made much difference in anything.

D
D
Being left-handed hasn't proved to be a problem in playing the piano. For example in my youth I was forced to play the violin as well as do other activities right handed. things were a bit different when I was growing up, there was a strong bias against left handers in the U.S., in fact there still is but not to the same degree as other parts of the world.

I play the guitar left handed so that gave me an advantage as my right hand is used to pressing down the strings on the fretboard so that is easily transferable to pressing down keys on a piano.

IMHO, probably the strongest advantage of the left handed pianst is because they've been forced to adapt to the right handed world they tend to be more ambidexous so when performing an activity where both hands are necessary the task isn't as daunting as say for a person who is used to using only their right hand.

DAVID

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by dkong99
Being left-handed hasn't proved to be a problem in playing the piano. For example in my youth I was forced to play the violin as well as do other activities right handed. things were a bit different when I was growing up, there was a strong bias against left handers in the U.S., in fact there still is but not to the same degree as other parts of the world.

I play the guitar left handed so that gave me an advantage as my right hand is used to pressing down the strings on the fretboard so that is easily transferable to pressing down keys on a piano.

IMHO, probably the strongest advantage of the left handed pianst is because they've been forced to adapt to the right handed world they tend to be more ambidexous so when performing an activity where both hands are necessary the task isn't as daunting as say for a person who is used to using only their right hand.

DAVID

I bet you didn't receive as much as negativity from school as I did.

Chinese culture hates left-hand, the word "left" means literally bad, off-beat.

You would get your hands slapped hard by teacher if using left hand. Your parents would beat you if discovered using chopstick with wrong hand. P.E. teacher literally corrects your jumping foot, forcing you to throw basket ball with right hand . Scissors in China used to be right-hand only. Left-handers were not allowed in the army.

I grew up adapting to this right-hand world in a hard way. Damn, I wish one day I could force some right-hander going through the same ordeal I had.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I am left handed. I did organ as a kid and got used to pounding chords out with my left hand. I have trouble playing left hand softly (though I think that's getting better). For piano I feel my right hand is stronger and has more control. I don't feel being left handed gives me any advantage/disadvantage relative to piano.

But like many others I use my right hand for some things(throwing a ball, using a mouse, scissors) and my left for others (writing, eating,) so one hand is not entirely dominant. Interesting question to ponder though!

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
I am left handed. I did organ as a kid and got used to pounding chords out with my left hand. I have trouble playing left hand softly (though I think that's getting better). For piano I feel my right hand is stronger and has more control. I don't feel being left handed gives me any advantage/disadvantage relative to piano.

But like many others I use my right hand for some things(throwing a ball, using a mouse, scissors) and my left for others (writing, eating,) so one hand is not entirely dominant. Interesting question to ponder though!

I found lots of people refer to themselves lefties aint' true are, if you still prefer do lots of things with right hand.

A hardcore left-hander such as myself is totally genetic, it runs through my paternal family. If you developed your left hand later in life, you totally ain't a lefty at all, for eg, if you lost your right hand but developed marvelous skills with left hand, genetically, you are still a right hander. We born with total dominating left-hand, my left side has bigger bones, longer arm, bigger hand, bigger almost everything, without forcing using right hand, my right can't do much thing as I presumed, despite I developed to be an ambidextrous later in my life.

I also find that true lefty is very rare among populations.

D
D
Back in the sixties, oh heck yes. I remember my second grade teacher tying my left hand behind my back so I wouldn't use it.

My parents were 2nd Gen Chinese Americans but that didn't make it any easier.

I probably can top you horror story to horror story but I try not to dwell on the past as you can't change what happened but hopefully you can help ensure the future is better.

DAVID

J
jian1zh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by jawhitti
I am left-handed but not Chinese so I grew up doing most everything but playing video games left-handed.

I can't say it's been much of a thing one way or the other. If anything, my instructor complains that I play the LH too loudly and when I told him I'm left-handed he went "ohhhhhhhhh". I guess left hand melodies are a little easier but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's made much difference in anything.

In your case, I doubt your lH is being too lound. It probably due to right hand doesn't have a effective way controlling sound aptitude. That seems to occur when you weren't forced to learn to be ambidextrous as I were, now your right hand is as weak as those right-hander's LH, and unfortunately, most musics written with main melody played by RH.

J
J
Jian, if you ever heard me play you'd quickly agree that "too loudly" describes my playing in a nutshell. Nothing terrifies me more than the word "leggiero"... wink

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I'm a lefty and I think my left hand is a little better than my right, but music is so skewed to the right with the melody being in the right hand, a pianist is forced to develop his or her right hand. As for ambidexterity, I eat and write left handed, play ping pong left handed, but I play baseball right handed and bowl right handed. I can't seem to make up my mind. I play tennis with both hands which gives me a few more inches reach. My high school coach yelled at me to pick a hand. I can only serve with my right hand though, since it is a motion very similar to throwing a ball.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission