2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2033440 02/15/13 12:10 AM
E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
As I stated in another thread, I intend to soon unload my Yamaha Arius YDP-181 in favor of a more portable model. I bought it a little over 2 years ago for about $1600, and she still looks and sounds as good as she did on unpacking day.

What would be a reasonable sales price on, say, Craigslist? I have no idea what kind of depreciation these pianos have. To my knowledge, this is still the same model being sold new in the stores, so that must count for something.

Schimmel 130T
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Judging from Craigslist pricing on used DPs in general, I'd say it appreciated to at least $1900! ;-) [ie, I just bought a new DP for like $300 less than some guy on CL was asking for an 18 month old used slab ...]

There might be someone in your area just hopping for that model, or maybe you have to discount the price a lot to move it. You just have to go fishing, if you're not in a hurry.

Since the quoted price is $1700 now, then figure $1400 after haggling, so someone buying used for 2 years, probably little or no warranty left, might jump at $850 to $1150? Or go fishing for $1400 for the non-negotiating shopping ...

Last edited by xorbe; 02/15/13 12:50 AM.
E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I agree that some Craigslist sellers are just out to lunch on their asking price. Still wonder what people generally get for a 2 year old keyboard? 20% less than new? 50%? I think I would be satisfied if I could get $1000, and certainly think the buyer would be getting a helluva deal.

Schimmel 130T
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I checked the Los Angeles area Craigslist every week for several months before buying a demo unit (Casio PX-150). Most Craigslist sellers seemed to list for about 80% of the current street price. Most items didn't sell. I often saw the exact same items (same pics, same city, same selling price) over and over again.

Keep in mind that there are often 10% or 15% off promotions or coupons, and that demo units or refurbished units might be 20% to 25% off the street price for the price conscious buyer.

There is no way to know an exact answer. A seller might luck into a buyer, or might have to wait and wait even with a good price. A used unit with a current street price of $1700 is a big purchase for most would-be buyers, so there is a big luck factor. If it were me, and I wanted to move the unit, I'd start at about $1300 and move down from there until it sells.

Some stores take consignments, though they charge a good bit for the service. A consignment avoids having people come to your home, and lets floor traffic see the unit.

E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Good tip to start at $1300, Sand Tiger!

Hey, thinking about the other end of the exchange, just wondering if anyone knows how often Guitar Center offers those 15% off coupons. I notice they have one for Presidents' Day through the 19th. I don't really want to act this weekend, but if it is only once every 6 months...

Schimmel 130T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's too bad craigslist didn't have each ad set up as a thread that you could leave comments. There are so many times I want to leave a sarcastic remark to some of those sellers.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
36251 #2033544 02/15/13 07:37 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by 36251
It's too bad craigslist didn't have each ad set up as a thread that you could leave comments. There are so many times I want to leave a sarcastic remark to some of those sellers.

+100! thumb

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah, I'd start around $1300 and move down slowly over time. Remember the limiting fact a lot of times is whether someone who is looking has seen it, not the price (though where you live that may not be as true as it is here in the middle of nowhere). Even if eager, you can probably still sell it for over $1000. It's a pretty new model.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Actually I listed my Casio setup for sale on CL yesterday ... ugh, I forgot about the quantity of scammers.

E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks all! Now it's time to put my DP up for sale. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Schimmel 130T
E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Just sold it in less than 48 hours. As Sand Tiger recommended, I posted for $1300 and immediately started getting nibbles. I allowed myself to be talked down to $1150, but I'm pretty sure I could have sold it at asking price with a little patience to wait for the right buyer. I'm always an impatient seller which is probably why I'm such a terrible negotiator. Based on the number of emails I got from my Craigslist ad (and one obvious scammer), I would say these keyboards are fairly desirable.

Schimmel 130T
I'm debating on selling a keyboard on Craigslist. I've never used it for either buying or selling. I've used eBay for years, but won't use them anymore for high dollar items. What type of scammers would I need to look out for selling a keyboard on Craigslist?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Anyone who doesn't pay with cash or who wants you to ship it is probably a scammer and can be ignored. Otherwise you get pretty good people most of the time.

The bigger problem I have with craigslist is all the people who contact you and then don't respond when you get back to them. So rude.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by ron88
What type of scammers would I need to look out for selling a keyboard on Craigslist?

The main ones are those that start by sending an email saying something like "is the item still available?" or "I want to buy this" without ever mentioning the name of the product or asking sensible questions about condition, etc. If you respond, you'll get asked to complete the transaction remotely, and if you proceed you'll essentially be robbed.

Also be wary about anyone who asks to meet you somewhere away from your home, as there have been one or two nasty incidents with people being mugged.

However, if you apply commonsense, you can smell a fishy deal a mile off, and the vast majority of people are honest and straightforward. I've sold a lot of keyboards via Craigslist, and if you price them sensibly (bearing in mind there are no fees, and that people do their research before buying big-ticket items), they usually sell within a reasonable period.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Thanks for the responses on the scammer question. I definitely would only accept cash, and as paranoid as I am, would want a good feeling about a person before even inviting them over to pick it up.

Sorry, Elkayem. I didn't even think when I asked that question that I might be highjacking your thread. I think you ended up with a reasonable price given the the age. I guess like car's, the initial depreciation of a keyboard happens when its taken home and un-boxed. It's likely that further depreciation is going to be much less over the next 2 years for the buyer.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Elkayem
Just sold it in less than 48 hours. As Sand Tiger recommended, I posted for $1300 and immediately started getting nibbles. I allowed myself to be talked down to $1150, but I'm pretty sure I could have sold it at asking price with a little patience to wait for the right buyer. I'm always an impatient seller which is probably why I'm such a terrible negotiator. Based on the number of emails I got from my Craigslist ad (and one obvious scammer), I would say these keyboards are fairly desirable.

I am glad to hear it worked out. There is a lot to be said for a relatively quick and easy sale without any drama.

As to what kind of scams, as others have mentioned, the most common scam is someone that wants the item shipped, and to pay electronically. Other scams might be someone trying to pass a bad check, or those that try to steal the item.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah, to the OP, decent price. Especially in larger metropolitan areas, nice DP's sell very well on craigslist. I remember selling my Yamaha P80 for $600 many years after buying it new for $900 and I had people practically banging down my door for it.

E
Elkayem Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Ron88, by all means please hijack this thread. Part of the fun of these forums is the life the threads can take on. I have sold a variety of items on Craigslist, including a number of cars, furniture, and even a telescope, and have always had positive encounters with customers. As voxpops said, you can safely ignore the emails asking "is item still available?". Anyone who takes the time to come to your house to look at what you are selling is a motivated buyer, just make sure they pay cash or some other form of payment you trust. For cars, I often meet the buyer at their bank for their transaction, which is a neutral location where they can get a bank check. PayPal works too, but there is a fee. There are the horror stories out there but I'm guessing that they are extremely rare compared to the countless normal transactions, and can be easily avoided with a little common sense.

Schimmel 130T
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Just sold my PX-330 for 64% of new from 6 months ago. I could have held out for another $50 (7-8%) probably, but I'm squeezed for time this week, and new gear is arriving soon. Really the best part was that their whole Japanese family came over with the kids who it is for, and they took it all apart, and it all went downstairs piece by piece to their trusty family minivan! I feel like I did a good thing today. Kids and their energy! Sigh ...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission