2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2032929 02/14/13 11:07 AM
PattyP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
To the teachers with adult students, what would you recommend now?

I finished Alfred’s Basic Adult All-in-One Course, Book 3 some time ago, 2 years maybe if memory serves. I haven’t taken lessons since and have moved from the area so I do not have a teacher in my new location.

I feel like I’ve become stagnant and would like to progress, getting back into a more formal program to move forward. I’d like something I can work on/through without the aid of a teacher due to some personal reasons.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Patty, what sort of music would you most like to play? Pop songs, cocktail jazz of the past, simplified classical arrangements, real classical repertoire? Or perhaps a mixture?
Is notated music your interest, or improv?

I'd be curious to know the "personal reasons" why you wish to avoid a teacher, unless you just can't afford private weekly lessons. I can't imagine another valid reason, when you say you are looking for a formal program.

But we can certainly help you out with some repertoire suggestions, once we know what area of piano music grabs you.

PattyP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Peter, thanks for responding. Let me first tell you what don't like: jazz and pop. Generally, I'm more of a sacred/traditional girl but have recently discovered the compositions of Catherine Rollins and Martha Mier, both of which I'm enjoying. I don't have a lot of experience with the classics, although I am fond of (simplified)Tchaikovsky.

My reason for not wanting to commit to lessons right now is because I'm working on my B.S. I know my limits and I don't want to spread myself too thin. Some weeks there may be several days that the piano sits idle while I'm cracking the books.

Patty

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PattyP

My reason for not wanting to commit to lessons right now is because I'm working on my B.S. I know my limits and I don't want to spread myself too thin. Some weeks there may be several days that the piano sits idle while I'm cracking the books.

Weekly hour lessons and no teacher at all aren't the only possibilities.

Seeing a good teacher every 1 to 3 months is a viable option. It isn't traditional, and it will take some searching to find the right one. But it would give you some focus, some motivation, avoid or correct some of the worst habits, and prepare you a bit for when you have more time.

gotta go practice
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Patty, if you manage to find a teacher who specializes in - or is at least comfortable with - the adult learner, that person will well understand that there are weeks in which you won't practice at all, and won't judge you for this. But you might still consider the weekly lesson scenario: you'll play the piano more if you do.

But at Tim says, you could also just check in with a teacher now and again, rather than the customary weekly commitment. I would suggest at your level of playing that such lessons should be no less frequent than once a month.

Another idea is simply to take a single lesson with one or more local teachers - not a free audition, but a paid lesson - and use this time for that person to help you find suitable repertoire you can pursue on your own. It's easier to do that in person, at the piano, rather than here on the Internet.

But you're on the right track with any of the well-crafted music of Catherin Rollin and Martha Mier.

P.S. Sent you an email.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/14/13 06:00 PM.
PattyP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tim, thanks for the suggestion. That isn't anything I had even considered. I was of the mindset that lessons are every week.

Peter, I received your email and will investigate your recommendations. Thank you.

smile

Patty

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PattyP
Tim, thanks for the suggestion. That isn't anything I had even considered. I was of the mindset that lessons are every week.

smile

In the brass playing world, it's not unusual for adults to get a checkup every three months. This is especially true of professional performers but becoming more common for amateurs as well.

gotta go practice
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
PattyP, you may go through a lot of teachers who refuse to teach you once every 3 months, but I'm sure that you will find one that suits your needs (perhaps one whose studio is already full and so taking on a student once in a while like this is fine with them).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene
PattyP, you may go through a lot of teachers who refuse to teach you once every 3 months, but I'm sure that you will find one that suits your needs (perhaps one whose studio is already full and so taking on a student once in a while like this is fine with them).

Yes, very few teachers will let you do that; it doesn't let the teacher get to know your tendencies very well, especially if your lesson is only half an hour.

You can always try online lessons; you won't have to leave your house, but most teachers will still want a commitment. I started teaching online a while ago and it works out quite well.

(Basically, all you need is a webcam/smartphone/iPhone.)

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Bluoh
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Yes, very few teachers will let you do that; it doesn't let the teacher get to know your tendencies very well, especially if your lesson is only half an hour.

A half hour lesson is fine on a frequent basis, but we're talking deliberately planning infrequent but regular lessons. So it will need to be an hour.

A person with time limitations will not be adequately prepared for the next lesson in just a week. (and older people sometimes learn more slowly anyway) There is a risk of going off in some wrong direction and building a bad habit - but at least in 3 months you'll get directed back on course, and that won't happen at all without a teacher.

My teacher required the initial lesson be two hours, so he could thoroughly evaluate my playing and future needs. After that we've had hour lessons.

gotta go practice

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission